“A relaxing and wonderful establishment!”

The Preston County Inn
Ranked #1 of 1 Kingwood B&B and Inns
Reviewed November 8, 2011

The wife and I needed a place to crash after a West Virginia football game and came upon this establishment on the web; boy are we glad we stayed at The Preston County Inn! The house is beautifully furnished with lovely items of antiquity and has a four star restuarant on the premises (Maxime's) and pub. The hosts were extremely nice and welcoming, as this place is occupied by the proprieter and his family. For a relaxing and romantic experience there is no other place than the Preston County Inn. Very clean and inviting!

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank thegoochman

Reviewed September 5, 2011

Stayed two nights; not very clean; not what we expected. It was not expensive but the cleanliness was the issue for me, and the lack of proper air conditioning. It was really hot and the AC unit we had in our room was not the best; I blew the fuses every day I was there in the entire place; I know it is old but I am used to creature comforts such as TV, hair dryer, etc. all going at the same time; the power came back on quickly, however . . . .it rained and was really muggy weather wise, so that did not help the lack of proper AC; also, a weird thing was that you could see daylight for about a half inch around the whole door? my husband is tall and the bed was really short so he had a couple of tough nights - the owner was nice but as a whole it was kind of creepy (and I am a fan of the b&b). We would not stay there again, unfortunately.

Room Tip: Not nice; dirty, small - barely had room for our luggage; bed was super small and we felt like the h...
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 2, 2011

This B&B should shut down. Their advertising is deceptive, showing the decent downstairs rooms and a partial photo of a guest room. Our room was small, dingy, broken windows, plastic on windows, had not been dusted in years, and was redecorated 30 years ago. The bed was HORRIBLE. I have suffered for days with a neck ache. The room was an electrical hazard with the heating cooling unit and tv in the same outlet. If the owners cannot afford to fix this 1870s home, they should get out of the B&B business. It is truly out of a Charles Dickens novel -- DO NOT STAY HERE.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled as a couple
6  Thank joAnn0716
Reviewed December 22, 2010

I recently spent five nights at the Inn and was completely satisfied. I'm not a big fan of continental breakfast so I provided my own. I had occasion to eat in the dining room and the variety of food available certainly outranks any other establishment in the area. The bar is very nice, the bartender Ralph is pleasant without being intrusive. He makes a mean margarita. The homemade pie is as good as my grandmother's--not an easy feat. Overall a very nice experience. I'll stay here again when I come to town.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled solo
2  Thank wolffullmoon
Reviewed October 5, 2010

I have been staying at The Preston County Inn for over 2 months now. I have had nothing but a fantastic stay. The owners couldn't be more helpful and friendly, as are their 3 children that live there also. I have stayed in different rooms and each time, they have been clean and well maintained.

It is such a plus to have coffee ready and waiting for me in the Continental Breakfast room, along with various cereals, toast, muffins, bagels, waffles, etc..

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled on business
2  Thank pateonrye
Reviewed September 21, 2010

At 7:30 PM on June 6 , 2010, I arrived at the Preston County Inn in Kingwood, West Virginia because I had been scheduled by my employer to work at an event the next day at a location nearby . There were no adults present...only small children whom I presumed were the children of the owners of the Inn. I had been left a note with a key that described where my room was and the room number (23). I found that the room was in poor condition; the comforter and sheets were old, torn, worn and dirty. I found the face towel to have several stains as if it had been used to remove makeup by the last guest. I happened to catch one of the children in the hallway and asked for an iron. She found an iron, but no ironing board was available and still I found no adults present.

I called the number that had been left by the proprietor to call him if I should need anything and left 2 messages expressing the problems with the room and what I needed (they live on the third floor). I never got a return call on my cell number which they had, and which I had to use since there was no phone in the room. I awoke in the morning around 4am in order to be at my job location on time and left notes for the owners which expressed my dissatisfaction with the condition of the room. I mentioned in the note that I would tell my employers not to use the Inn to book travel accommodations for other employees, that I would inform Expedia(from where the room was booked) and post negative comments on Tripadvisor.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled on business
5  Thank DianeCephalon
Innkeeper43, Owner at The Preston County Inn, responded to this reviewResponded September 24, 2010

My husband and I own the Inn and we have three children who live on site. This woman was so abusive towards them that I wanted to ask her to leave but it was 9 p.m. and my husband asked me to let her stay. In the morning we found post it notes all over the Inn that were inappropriate to say the the least. My husband contacted her at her place of work and she went ballistic. She was verbally abusive even though we tried to make it right. Be careful of this customer.

The Inn is actually not open on Sunday and Monday nights and we do not man the front desk 24/7. Check in is at 4 p.m and she did not arrive until many hours later. Generally we leave our guests a key at the front desk.

Reviewed September 15, 2010

We stayed there 1 night (thank God). My sister-in-law made the reservation or we would have left or slept in the car. It was DIRTY!! The sheets had a Blood stain from a woman's period on the sheets. The chairs/couch on the "veranda" all had large holes in the cushions. My husband & I started itching from the time we sat down, but never saw any fleas or bugs. It may have been mites?? A/C was a portable unit?? The restaurant was never open. The continental breakfast was re-warmed coffee from the previous day and a few boxes of cereal. We went out needless to say. The place probably was beautiful at one time, but now ----YUCK!!!!!. Sorry to leave such a negative response.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
5  Thank ginnyfromkansas

This customer came downstairs on Sunday demanding a full breakfast. I told her that we have a breakfast buffet upstairs that includes waffles, cereal, muffins, coffee, tea, hot chocolate, etc. I told her that we would be serving breakfast out of our restaurant in two hours but she did not want to wait so I sent her down to a local restaurant to have her breakfast. She came back about an hour later and said that she was not going to stay another night. She complained that the rooms are on the second floor and we do not have an elevator. She complained that my daughter, who was eating her breakfast, had had her hands all over the cinamon rolls. I explained that we are not open yet and my daughter has the right to have breakfast and she got her roll from the kitchen so she was not anywhere near the buffet. The customer said that she did not like the fact that our daughter works at the Inn. Everyone in our family works. The children are learning work ethics and they are saving their money.

This customer never reported a dirty room or bloody sheets. In fact, we had put brand new sheets and linens on her bed the night before and there were no stains the next day. I know because I do the laundry and I inspect everything that goes up to the maid's closet. This women was unhappy with the fact that there was no full service breakfast for free. We cancelled her second night even though our policy was to charge her for another day because she did not give 48 hour notice. We tried our best to make her happy but apparently it did not work.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Kingwood
Suites at Silver Tree
#1 of 3 in Oakland
Alpine Lake Resort
Alpine Lake Resort
#1 of 1 in Terra Alta

Been to The Preston County Inn? Share your experiences!