Thatch Caye, a Muy'Ono Resort
Blue Marlin Beach Resort(South Water Caye)
$408
$173
$160
$160
  • Pool
Coco Plum Island Resort(Coco Plum Cay)
  • Restaurant
Villa Verano(Hopkins)
TripAdvisor
All reviewsoverwater bungalowother guestsfishmain palapaour honeymoonpaddle boardingserenity pointprivate islandisland doglobster huntingisland hoppingnew friendsscuba divinglaid backcommunal mealsmagical placenine miles
Reviewed July 18, 2008

After spending five days of high paced backpacking through Belize and Guatemala, our group of three was pleasantly surprised when we spent the last two days of our trip at Thatch Caye. The caye was so relaxed and serene, and the homemade food was amazing. The people of Thatch Caye evidently love their work and take pride in their service. The care and sweat that went into building this eco-friendly resort is admirable. Our boat guide, Chico, knows the reefs so well that he doesn’t need a gps device to find his spots. We freedove the reef edge where was saw some amazing life (grouper, snapper, porpoises, turtles to name a few). It was comforting to know that we always had the watchful eye of Chico or his deckhand on us. Aside from freediving, we took the ocean kayaks out to a small island which is an amazing bird sanctuary. Taking hammock naps in the warm breeze was a plus. The price is amazing for this high scale of a resort. I will be heading back in the future.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 14, 2008

Simply amazing-from Mayan ruins to Blue Hole-this place can accommodate everyone! Best home cooked food in Belize. Awesome for free-divers or scuba divers (day trips to the reef). Great sea kayaking, bird watching or simply just relaxing. Very reasonable! Perfect for a couple-or even a large group! Already planning a return visit! Best of all-everything is eco-friendly!

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled with friends
1  Thank playmachin
Reviewed July 7, 2008

I always wanted to go to Belize, but couldn't afford the high end resorts and didn't want to do it the cheap way either. This boutique Island was the perfect answer for me.

It was very easy to get there from Belize City. A quick 20 minutes on a local plane. That flight felt safer than the domestic flight. And the view was amazing overlooking Belize. Then a quick boat ride to the Island and voila! -)

I loved my little cabana right over the ocean. I felt like I was on my own island. I have visited maybe 60 countries, and this was one of my favorite vacations. So peaceful, quiet, soothing.

You can walk from one end of the island to the other in about 15 minutes... and it is absolutely gorgeous. My favorite spot was just meditating in my hammock looking out at the sea.

I went snorkeling everyday except one day when we went to see the Mayan ruins at the border of Guatemala. It was perfect to get a little history and sense of the country by going inland for one day.

The coral reef was one of the best I have ever seen. You see so much just snorkeling that you don't really need to go diving to be in awe... most amazing fish and colors... wow! very addictive!

Chico is a great dive master and the happiest guy you will ever meet. Everybody adored him! Bailin is a great host /bartender and will charm you for sure!

I can't wait to go back. I went by myself and bonded with everyone there, and I really feel like I have my own little island in Belize now! But please don't tell anyone, its a secret! -)

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled solo
Reviewed May 31, 2008

I have been revisiting this trip from one month ago almost daily so its time to write a review. If you are looking for a private island for a romantic getaway, wedding, family reunion or kayak, snorkeling or yoga retreat, this is the place! Far off the beaten path but only 4 hours from NY.

What I love most about Thatch Caye (beyond beauty) is it is a self contained eco environment in the middle of the most spectacular snorkeling, kayaking, fishing and birding. Stylish living accomodations with hammocks and outdoor lounging. make it hard for me to leave my hut, to walk to the nearby private beach. Resident craftsmen carved and designed most of the wood work here and the detail (even in footpaths) is awesome. Coatimundis and other exotic animals look on w curiosity. Nature is in true symbiosis with man here.

A gathering hall with bar where my friends and I met for dinner is provided by a most friendly, hospitable and fun staff. My favorite dishes were the vegetable patties, frittata, fresh caught fish and johnny bread. They also gave excellent tours of Mayan ruins, birding and snorkeling areas.

By the end of your stay, you may begin to question your lifestyle choices and consider moving there! We did and can't wait to go back!!!.

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled with friends
1  Thank galfromkal
Reviewed May 29, 2008

We’ve traveled through much of the Caribbean and have found many lovely spots, but there is something truly special about Thatch Caye in Belize. We felt it right away as we arrived after a surprisingly easy trip from the states. As we approached the island on the resort’s private skiff, we were taken in by the crystalline blue waters, the vast sky, and the beautiful way the man made structures and the natural elements seem to blend perfectly…we really felt like we had arrived somewhere great, and we couldn’t wait to tell our friends about the undiscovered gem that we alone had unearthed.

The staff made us feel at home right away. Our Casita house was very nicely appointed and spacious, but everything melted away when we looked at the view. We spent the first 3 days on our roof-top deck with our mouths hanging open, overwhelmed by the natural beauty. Fortunately, there was plenty to do once we were able to close our mouths.

I’ve been a diver for many years but have never had the pleasure of diving the Great Western Barrier Reef, just a short boat ride from the resort. Chico, the divemaster, took us to many amazing spots, filled with a myriad of sea life, and the healthiest and most pristine reef I’ve ever seen…something that’s getting harder and harder to find in this part of the world. But you don’t even have to dive to see the beauty of the 2nd largest barrier reef in this hemisphere. The snorkeling is to die for and Chico was a supreme guide, even for the folks in our party who had never snorkeled before.

People can make or break a place and Thatch Caye is run by a group of folks, every one of which you can talk to for 5 minutes and feel like you’ve known for years. Their local knowledge is certainly impressive, but they’ve actually got it easy because there’s so much to see and do and explore…Diving, snorkeling, fishing, swimming, sailboarding, kayaking, exploring ancient Mayan ruins, shopping on the mainland, nature watching, etc. etc. etc. You can do all of it, some of it, or none of it and just keep company with your iPod and a book on one of the many hammocks strung up around the island, or at the small and lovely white sand beach. And there’s always a great meal coming, made simple and fresh with local ingredients, washed down with marvelous concoctions whipped up at the bar.

We plan to make Thatch Caye a regular destination and, as much as we want to keep it to ourselves, highly recommend it to anyone looking for the perfect blend of adventure, relaxation, and natural tropical beauty.

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled as a couple