Thatch Caye, a Muy'Ono Resort
Blue Marlin Beach Resort(South Water Caye)
$408
  • Pool
$120
$114
  • Pool
Coco Plum Island Resort(Coco Plum Cay)
No availability for your dates from our partners
  • Restaurant
All reviewsoverwater bungalowother guestsfishmain palapaour honeymoonpaddle boardingserenity pointprivate islandisland doglobster huntingisland hoppingnew friendsscuba divinglaid backcommunal mealsmagical placenine miles
Reviewed May 31, 2008

I have been revisiting this trip from one month ago almost daily so its time to write a review. If you are looking for a private island for a romantic getaway, wedding, family reunion or kayak, snorkeling or yoga retreat, this is the place! Far off the beaten path but only 4 hours from NY.

What I love most about Thatch Caye (beyond beauty) is it is a self contained eco environment in the middle of the most spectacular snorkeling, kayaking, fishing and birding. Stylish living accomodations with hammocks and outdoor lounging. make it hard for me to leave my hut, to walk to the nearby private beach. Resident craftsmen carved and designed most of the wood work here and the detail (even in footpaths) is awesome. Coatimundis and other exotic animals look on w curiosity. Nature is in true symbiosis with man here.

A gathering hall with bar where my friends and I met for dinner is provided by a most friendly, hospitable and fun staff. My favorite dishes were the vegetable patties, frittata, fresh caught fish and johnny bread. They also gave excellent tours of Mayan ruins, birding and snorkeling areas.

By the end of your stay, you may begin to question your lifestyle choices and consider moving there! We did and can't wait to go back!!!.

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled with friends
1  Thank galfromkal
Reviewed May 29, 2008

We’ve traveled through much of the Caribbean and have found many lovely spots, but there is something truly special about Thatch Caye in Belize. We felt it right away as we arrived after a surprisingly easy trip from the states. As we approached the island on the resort’s private skiff, we were taken in by the crystalline blue waters, the vast sky, and the beautiful way the man made structures and the natural elements seem to blend perfectly…we really felt like we had arrived somewhere great, and we couldn’t wait to tell our friends about the undiscovered gem that we alone had unearthed.

The staff made us feel at home right away. Our Casita house was very nicely appointed and spacious, but everything melted away when we looked at the view. We spent the first 3 days on our roof-top deck with our mouths hanging open, overwhelmed by the natural beauty. Fortunately, there was plenty to do once we were able to close our mouths.

I’ve been a diver for many years but have never had the pleasure of diving the Great Western Barrier Reef, just a short boat ride from the resort. Chico, the divemaster, took us to many amazing spots, filled with a myriad of sea life, and the healthiest and most pristine reef I’ve ever seen…something that’s getting harder and harder to find in this part of the world. But you don’t even have to dive to see the beauty of the 2nd largest barrier reef in this hemisphere. The snorkeling is to die for and Chico was a supreme guide, even for the folks in our party who had never snorkeled before.

People can make or break a place and Thatch Caye is run by a group of folks, every one of which you can talk to for 5 minutes and feel like you’ve known for years. Their local knowledge is certainly impressive, but they’ve actually got it easy because there’s so much to see and do and explore…Diving, snorkeling, fishing, swimming, sailboarding, kayaking, exploring ancient Mayan ruins, shopping on the mainland, nature watching, etc. etc. etc. You can do all of it, some of it, or none of it and just keep company with your iPod and a book on one of the many hammocks strung up around the island, or at the small and lovely white sand beach. And there’s always a great meal coming, made simple and fresh with local ingredients, washed down with marvelous concoctions whipped up at the bar.

We plan to make Thatch Caye a regular destination and, as much as we want to keep it to ourselves, highly recommend it to anyone looking for the perfect blend of adventure, relaxation, and natural tropical beauty.

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Scott P
Reviewed May 23, 2008

Our trip to Thatch Caye Resort was more than we could ever have expected or asked for. The accomodations were beautiful, clean and private. (We especially enjoyed the views from the top of our casita, relaxing in our hammocks. ) The staff was friendly, accomodating , extremely gracious and tremendously knowledgeable. The meals were authentic, beautifully executed and very tasty. The snorkelling and diving is unmatched and the culture and diversity of the mainland is amazing. This resort has an amazing history, a fantastic ecofriendly concept and provides it's guests with fantasic accomodations and service. We were truly impressed. I can not praise the staff enough for all of the effort that they put into making our trip the best it could be. Belize is a special place and we were able to enjoy the beauty of it's land and sea mostly due to the excellent friends that we made at this exceptional resort!! We look forward to returning again as soon as possible and we will definately be bringing friends!

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank travelocifers
Reviewed April 26, 2008

Just returned from a week at Thatch Caye Resort and wish I were still there! The service was superb and the location is paradise. Meals were beautifully planned and executed. My boyfriend and I are making a list of folks that we want to take back there asap to snorkle, swim and hang out in hammocks with. The trip to Mayan ruins was a powerful experience with our Mayan guide, Victor. We felt so well taken care of and totally free at the same time. No worries!

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank angelfish22
Reviewed March 23, 2008

Thatch Caye Belize is a very special place indeed. A labor of love that is reflected in all who took part in its development and many of whom still work there today. It is a beautiful place to go for either a retreat, where you can be completely immersed in nature, spectacular sunrises and sunsets, tepid ocean and peaceful environment. Or you can really make an adventure out of the many activities available, such as snorkeling, scuba diving, fishing, kayaking, swimming and many mainland activities that will take you into the heart of the jungle. Day trips can take you to the ancient Mayan ruins, or downtown to the local Dangriga market. Honestly there is something for everyone, and I was one of those very fortunate guests who got to experience a bit of everything. But most notably for me was the warmth, generosity and friendliness of everyone I encountered there. When it came time to leave I felt like part of this wonderful community that has been created and really didn’t want to go. There is a real sense of adventure that imbibes this island and the people who live and work there, yet there’s always a place to go for quiet and solitude when needed. I had many favorite places for just this, like the palapas at the end of the island which overlook the neighboring island and beyond out to the reef, or sitting at the end of the dock soaking up the magnificent turquoise blue ocean with it’s plentiful sea life. Of course you’ll always find a hammock somewhere for a moment of respite, even on the roof of your Casita.
Then there are the Coati’s, or more affectionately known as Quash, which are these gorgeous animals that peer down at you from the trees and rooftops. They’re friendly and will eat out of your hand if you can find something they like. – Not carrots as I found out. There’s Rocky the raccoon, an abundance of rabbits, even an iguana that I only got to glimpse as it strolled off the path. Not too far away on an island is a breeding ground for some pretty amazing looking birds, whose name I have forgotten. Chico, the dive master and tour guide extraordinaire will take you for a visit and give you the lowdown, it’s fascinating and quite something to see.
Bernadine and her lovely sister cook up a fine feast three times a day and the food is always fresh and meals creative and delicious. Balin keeps the bar well stocked so there’s always a selection of good wines and beverages to relax into the evening with. All the Casitas and Cabanas are very tastefully designed and laid out using all local materials that were painstakingly shipped across from the mainland, as is everything you find on this island. I was fortunate enough to see some slides of what this island was like before the building started, thanks to Steven, one of the founders. It’s nothing short of remarkable what has been achieved and with a strong intention to collaborate with nature as opposed to destroying it. The Mennonites, and some very talented carvers do all the woodwork locally and have added a local flare, which helps make Thatch Caye feel authentically Belizean!
The person who has the pulse on everything that’s going on is Chris, and she’s just great. She always seems to be one step ahead and really takes good care of you and anything you may need.
I loved this place….I loved the people, the environment, the weather, the adventure, the peace, and even wireless for those of us who haven’t quite learnt to detach fully!
Thank you to everyone who made my stay the wonderful experience it was, I miss you all – and I will be back!
Thank you especially to Steven, Travis and Nancy for realizing this incredible vision,

Ciao…