“Worst. Service. Ever.”

Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Hurricane
Indianapolis, Indiana
“Worst. Service. Ever.”
Reviewed July 19, 2011

We reserved a room a week in advance at this hotel. We booked a suite and received a special discounted online rate. We arrived after 12 hours on the road, ate our dinner, and headed to the pool (which was nice). At 9:30pm, we returned to the room and it smelled like a bar. The cigarette smoke was terrible. It seemed to be pouring in through the vent in the shower. I called the front desk and the clerk said he'd check it out. He never showed. I called back and explained that the two adults in the room had asthma and we also had a three-year-old with us and felt that the air quality was too poor for us to stay. We asked if there was another room we could have. The desk clerk said, "We do not have any rooms left. What I can do is offer the you early checkout." I said, "What does that mean? We wouldn't be charged for the room, right?" He said there would be some charge because there was nothing wrong with the room. He never had a straight answer for anything. At one point, he admitted there were other rooms available, but they were suites. So I asked, "Yes or no, do you have other rooms you could put us in?" He said, "Since you didn't pay full price for your suite we would not be able to give that to you." To that, I said, "So you're tossing us out on the street with our toddler so you can wait for someone to pay full price?" He actually said, "I can't force you to stay here." Rude! Then he went on about how the hotel was "entirely non-smoking, expect for two rooms." To which I replied, "Then the hotel is not ENTIRELY non-smoking, is it? He kept telling us there would be some charge for the room but he couldn't tell us what. He kept telling us the smoke was probably from outside and I said I suspected it was a ventilation problem. He was unable (or unwilling) to print a receipt of any kind. He said there were other Holiday Inn Express hotels in the area and did not offer to call for us. Cell phone reception was horrid so we had a terrible time getting our smartphones to work so we could look it up ourselves. The stairwell doors were left open, the carpets were filthy, and there were dead wasps outside the room on the floor. The tub stopper was also missing. I read another review for this hotel from two years ago and the tub stopper was missing and smoke was pouring in the room. hmmmm. Sounds like there is a ventilation problem. If you have asthma or if smoke bothers you, do not stay at this place. If rude, unhelpful front desk clerks make you mad, do not stay here. We went 40 miles north and found a Marriott Town Suites in Huntington for $99 a night and the air was clean, the hotel was super clean, the staff was friendly, and the room was $50 cheaper than the junky place we left. At midnight, we were finally able to put our little one to bed. What a night! I called Holiday Inn Priority Club to comment, and it was like pulling teeth to find the correct contact information for hotel comments.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank R0adTrip2011

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Reviewed July 1, 2011

Clean, great hospitality, comfy beds, & yummy breakfast. We will be back!

• Stayed June 2011
1 Thank adeliac06
Boston
Reviewed June 26, 2011

We stayed here on our way through West Virginia. The location is just fine but I would have rather of kept moving on down the road. We found several beetles and a tick in our room and the overall cleanliness was not up to the standard Holiday Inn Express. I would not stay here again if ever in the area.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family

Travelers are raving about these Hurricane hotels

Reviewed June 1, 2011

The service is beyond great. Everyone we encountered was just so pleasant and the General Manager is outstanding!

• Stayed March 2011
1 Thank Luvngyrl
Petersburg, Indiana
Reviewed October 25, 2010

I have always loved the service I got at this hotel. Breakfast is great. Recently my thoughts have changed.

I left my glasses in the room when I checked out. I made a call and they agreed to send them that day. After several days I called again, and the desk clerk did not even look for any info, just said call again on Monday. I called Mondfay, and they were right there on the desk, all info intact. Again I was told they would go out that day, and agreed to overnight mail. Several more days passed and no glasses. The third call revealed that they were in fact still there on the desk. They were sent to me overnight, but through FEDEX. The charges were $42.89! How is that for lousy customer service?

• Stayed September 2010, traveled solo
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed October 21, 2010

We have stayed in this hotel many times since it is directly on our path to visit my parents in Indiana. I have been pleased over the years that they have never turned me away when I arrive on my own with four, and now six children in tow. They have a decent hot breakfast, and the staff was very patient a few Christmas's ago when my oldest child vomited in the lobby -- trust me I had no idea that was coming and it was not a pleasant experience. The pool is pretty decent from the kids point of view as well.

Most recently, my mother stayed at the hotel at my recommendation on her way to my home this month. She left her eyeglasses in her room under the edge of the bed, and in spite of numerous phone calls and assurances from the staff that they were being sent that very day -- it took her almost three weeks to get her eyeglasses back. And, when she did get them, they had been sent overnight. They were sitting on the desk with her name and room number and address on them the whole time. That is just not very good service.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with family
Birchrunville, Pennsylvania
Reviewed October 19, 2010

We, and a large number of others, attended a wedding weekend in this location. The rooms were clean, comfortable and spacious. We received a special rate for the event and the hotel even threw in a meeting room that we used all weekend. The staff was always helpful and attentive. The breakfast was quite good; I didn't expeccte bacon. The area felt safe and easy to navigate.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hurricane
Hampton Inn Winfield/Teays Valley
Red Roof Inn Charleston West - Hurricane
Sleep Inn & Suites
Sleep Inn & Suites
#1 of 4 in Cross Lanes
Holiday Inn Express Cross Lanes
Wyndham Garden Cross Lanes Charleston
Holiday Inn & Suites Charleston West

Been to Holiday Inn Express Winfield - Teays Valley? Share your experiences!