“Back To Simpler Times!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Huntington
Heritage Farm Museum and Village Homes
Reviewed March 23, 2013

What a joy to arrive at this lovely, hidden oasis, go inside and find the log cabin that I had always wanted to have. Not just for a night but a lifetime. No I won't get to enjoy this Strawberry Suite for a lifetime, but just for a night was such a delight that I will be able to hold that feeling until I'm lucky enough to return.
Everything that you could possibly NEED, no TV, no INTERNET, no PHONE, but lets face it you don't REALLY need those things. As Mike, the owner, manager, builder, curator and husband of Henrietta, who really runs things, says, "you come here to relax and forget about all of that hassle and stress outside. You come here to get a fresh new start on life."
A fabulous tour of the grounds and different exhibits, reminds you of all of the hardships that our forefathers went through to bring us to this point, Now whether we're better off for it, that's up to each person to decide.
Also, the variety of animals is wonderful. Everything from Chickens to Lamas, to Sheep to Dogs and a Cat who likes to go for a ride on your shoulder.
An absolutely wonderful place for families to come together for reunion or celebration of any kind.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank tigilau

Reviewed March 11, 2013

We jut had a Cousins Girls Weekend at this onset full place. Had a grey Tour Guide for he very interesting museum. The grounds are fantastic. The people are fantastic. We rented the Applebutter and Aoodbury houses. There were 14 of us. We were not crowded since the houses are so spacious. I loved all th bathrooms. All FSLIC could Bein the living room at the same time playing games and working puzzle. The kitchens re well stocked so we were able to cook our meals at the house. We will be back here next year. Thank you to the wonderful staff that made us feel so special. We had our myfi's so we had great Internet service. Cell phones had 5 bars.
No tv's were a plus. Very special to make family memories here.

Room Tip: All of the homes are fantastic
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Judi K
Reviewed November 13, 2012

We chose the Heritage Farm Museum to rendez-vous with family for a weekend. We stayed in the Strawberry Inn and had plenty of space to sit and chat, eat family meals, and sleep comfortably. We loved the homey feel of the Inn -- it was like staying in someone's (uncluttered) home, with flowered sheets on the bed, furniture from different periods, and jigsaw puzzles hanging on the walls. Way more comfortable and charming than a hotel. It was very clean.

Just a few reasons I give it four stars instead of five stars: First, the kitchen could have been better equipped. Measuring cup? Cutting board? Paring knife? Even very cheap versions of those things would have been better than none. Second, we were disappointed that the somewhat limited hours of the museum did not allow us to take a tour. It closes at 3 on Saturdays, is closed on Sundays, and doesn't open until 10 on Monday mornings. I know it's a family-run business, so I understand they need to limit their availability, but I think it would have been gracious to offer guests staying two nights the opportunity to reserve a tour, even abbreviated, outside of normal business hours.

That being said, the reason we were disappointed not to have a tour is that the farm was fascinating! We loved having the run of the grounds and had many questions about the interesting relics on display outdoors; would have loved to see what they had indoors as well.

Our two-year-old son loved playing on the playground and visiting the animals. This is a great place to come with children. We hope to return someday soon!

(As an aside, we didn't find too much to do in Huntington in November, but I should mention the excellent art museum with children's activity room, and the playground in Ritter Park.)

Room Tip: The Strawberry Inn has a full bath on each floor and a toddler bed in the bedroom on the ground floo...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank BEM124
Reviewed January 5, 2011

This is the second year my extended family has gotten together to stay at this wonderful little log cabin village sitting in a beautiful valley - just minutes from town. We stayed at Applebutter Inn, which has 4 bedrooms and 4-1/2 baths. There is plenty of room, plenty of seating for everyone, & more than enough dining tables and chairs. The kitchen and baths are well-furnished and my nephew LOVED the big stone fireplace! There is no television or internet, but he was mesmerized sitting in front of the fire while we played games, told stories and just talked to each other. Three porches afforded great views of the village - a great place to sit with your morning coffee. There are several museums on the property and a petting zoo too! I highly recommend this bed and breakfast for families or groups of people that want a cozy place to relax and get together.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled with family
5  Thank blackcatantiques
Reviewed July 6, 2010

The tour guide was rude, disrespectful, unhelpful, and acted like he did not want my family there! I would NEVER recommend anyone visit this absolutely TERRIBLE "destination." Save your money & GO SOMEWHERE ELSE!

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family
3  Thank EastKy
Reviewed November 17, 2009

My husband and I visited this museum this fall on the way back home from Gatlinburg. When the tour was done, I commented to him as we were getting in the car - "Was this strange or was it just me?" He agreed. First, you have to pay extra ($2 per building per person) to take the "extended" tour. I'm not sure what the "regular" tour would be of this privately -owned museum, but you did not go into all of the buildings even on the extended tour. You can not take any pictures on the inside of the buildings and the tour is guided. I think that it would be better to call it the Heritage Museum as it had very little to do with farming (which is what we thought it was). There is a vast amount of collections ranging from washing machines to these weird diaramas made of scenes from the Bible, and done with nails. We weren't sure what the Bible scenes had to do with "heritage." The museum was very clean and the collections were well kept. My husband thought that some of the pieces that had been restored were "over-restored" meaning that things like the paint jobs weren't that good to begin with. We were not encouraged to browse around without the guide who did do a good job and seemed very knowledgeable. Not sure if I would reccomend it, but we sure have been talking about it since our visit!

Stayed: November 2009, traveled as a couple
4  Thank PTCruisin2009
Reviewed March 30, 2008

I rented the Hollyberry Inn because it had 4 bedrooms and 3 bathrooms for a Conference attendance and we could not beat the price. We made the 3 rooms on the second floor female territory and put our lone male in the party on the first floor. This house is handicap accessible with the first floor room. I plan to return with my husband who is disabled in the future. The other Conference attendees were jealous of our accommodations - and our price.

With the complete kitchen we just had to bring the food and I was able to make breakfast for us each morning. We are all business people so the lack of Internet caused withdrawals (go to the Huntington Library - I did - to check e-mail. Cellphone worked on the porch. Quite honestly, if I had been there with the family, it would have been wonderful because of the no TV and no Internet. It is near the Radio & Technology Museum, the Huntington Museum of Art, and less than 10 minutes from downtown Huntington. With the facility itself and the proximity to other activities, there is something for every member of a family nearby which makes this a perfect location for family gatherings or a romantic getaway (one of the log houses).

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled on business
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank Queenofbudget
Also consider these accommodations in or near Huntington
Hampton Inn Huntington University Area
#3 of 12 in Huntington
Holiday Inn Huntington
Holiday Inn Huntington
#6 of 12 in Huntington

Been to Heritage Farm Museum and Village Homes? Share your experiences!