“great food, but not a fussy seafood place” 4 of 5 bubbles

Jewel City Seafood Market
Ranked #3 of 186 Restaurants in Huntington
Good for: Families with children, Kids, Large groups
Ashland, Kentucky
“great food, but not a fussy seafood place”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 15, 2013

Jewel City is THE ONLY place to get fresh seafood in the Tri-State area. We take a cooler with us when we go to buy fish for the week. Staff will wrap it and pack it in ice for you and is very accommodating when it comes to checking seafood for preservatives. (I have an allergy, and staff will even produce the boxes to show me there have been no preservatives added to shellfish.) Often after buying seafood, we stay for lunch or dinner, getting everything from mixed sea food plates to special of the day. Always delicious. It's a hole-in-the-wall place that is unpretentious and cozy. The kind of place you instantly feel at home in. You certainly don't expect to find a seafood market like this in the mountains, it's almost like it got picked up from a busy wharf and dropped off in Huntington…. Don't change it!

• Visited December 2013
1 Thank Mudfoot4

Atlanta, Georgia
“Very Good!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 10, 2013

I had dinner here after a suggestion from my hotel. I'm very glad I came. I had a mixed plate, scallops and shrimp, both were very tender and the potatoes were very good as well. I can't wait for a return visit.

Visited December 2013
1 Thank hiflya
Cincinnati, Ohio, United States
“Perfect”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 28, 2013 via mobile

The atmosphere is basic but that just adds to the charm. The waiter did forget my parent's salad but once we reminded him he brought it quickly and offered to take it off the bill. My mother in law had the cod, father in law had grouper and we split the 3 lb crab legs. Everything was fantastic!

• Visited October 2013
Ironton, OH
“Amazing what a fresh coat of paint can do!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 14, 2013

I've went here several times in the past years and it was sort of "meh".

Recently, they slightly remodeled the inside and things seem to be doing better. The switch to plastic cups over the foam ones are a very welcomed addition since you don't need a refill after three sips of tea.

We go there about once a month for lunch. I've not had anything but fish & fries, but they are pretty good and the portion is plentiful!

• Visited October 2013
Collegeville, Pennsylvania
“Very Good”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 29, 2013

When you walk in the place you will find a simple basic no frills place. Seafood was very fresh and well prepared.. Very good place for fresh seafood expecially considering how far from the ocean you are.

• Visited September 2013