“Huntington WV”

Super 8 Huntington WV
Ranked #6 of 12 Hotels in Huntington

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Morehead, Kentucky
Reviewed May 18, 2013

Came to Huntington for a weekend get away. Booked the room last minute, when i called told the clerk that we wanted a King Room for 2 nights when we checked in the clerk said i have you down for different dates and we dont have a king room available! We ended up with 2 queen beds. We were just glad they had a room. The rooms were very clean, loved the shower! The pool is very small! The beds are very very soft, my only suggestion would be they get new pillows as they are very worn and thin! We did not try the free breakfast as we chose to eat at the Bob Evans right across the street! We loved the fact that there is restruants and a gas station across the street! Great Location. Over all for the price not a bad hotel, we usually stay at hampton inn's or other Hotels with in the hilton franchise but for a super 8 not bad at all!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed May 2, 2013

We had to come into town for a funeral and this hotel was available and at the price point that we needed for a last minute trip. I should have know better than to stay at a Super 8 it was awful. There were stains on the sheets, comforter, and hair on the pillows! The amount of noise coming from the surrounding rooms kept us up all night and with the reason behind our travels this was just unacceptable! We also chose this hotel specifically because it had a pool and hot tub advertised and after a long day of the horrible events we were enduring we thought that a hot tub would be just what we needed to try to relax a bit. But both were closed for the 4 days of our stay. Every morning and night we would ask and the desk staff would lie that it would be open later. At the least don't have your employees lie! Tell the truth to give us a opportunity to go elsewhere. The breakfast is TERRIBLE don't even waster your time unless you want to be ill. Even the coffee is fowl tasting. The staff was friendly enough, but when I asked them to come and change our stained linens they did not even apologize. In fact I asked that they come in a hour so I could finish getting ready and I was told no it was now or tomorrow. Basically letting me know that I would be sleeping on the brown stained and hair covered sheets for another night. If you only need to stay for a few hours go head and stay just check out the sheets first, but if it for more than 6 hours GO SOMEWHERE ELSE! I also took pictures of the stains but I will not share them unless management would like to see them!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
super8htgn, General Manager at Super 8 Huntington WV, responded to this review, May 6, 2013
I'm apologize for your inconvience during your stay. I've tried to locate information or complaints regarding your stay and cant seem to find anything. I will be contacting you to get more information so that I can correct the areas you mentioned. Thank you for your feedback.
Normal, Il
Reviewed April 27, 2013

I know it's strange to give a super 8 so many stars, so to start I'll clarify that it's not four stars as compared to a Marriott, but rather 4 stars as compared to other Super 8s, Days Inns, or comparable motels. The only reason why I'm not giving it five stars is its location - it's kind of far from town, not an especially nice area, and at the top of the hill which makes it tough to get to the nearby restaurants - and one of its front desk members / an inane policy.

Upsides: The motel is very clean and shows evidence of recent updates. The beds are incredibly comfortable. I slept surprising well, and the water pressure on the shower was great. The internet was speedy although it stalled a couple of times during our stay (the front desk was great about rebooting the router and it was up and running no problem). With the exception of one guy, the front desk staff was amazing. They're all kind and helpful and so pleasant to talk to. If you have any problems, ask for Laine - she's one of the kindest, most competent hotel employees I've met. Ever. Breakfast, pool, workout room all worked well and were better than the usual Super 8 amenities. Best of all - common areas were open, spacious and smelled really nice.

Downsides: I had a non-smoking room, but it was sandwiched between smoking rooms so the hallway was always smoggy and smoky smelling. Surprisingly the air in my room was not smoky or stale at all. Not enough outlets in the room to plug gadgets, because half of them didn't work - seriously, I was a little worried about electrical fires the way a couple of the outlets would spark and flicker. The room keys kept deactivating - a small nuisance. The bathroom looked clean and in good shape, but part way through the stay the grout on a ceramic tile popped out, and I cut my foot on it. Fortunately, I used a tissue to clean up my foot and not one of the towels, because they charge a fee for stained, damaged or missing towels. I thought stained towels were the cost of doing business, but whatever, I'm not one to steal towels, so that policy wouldn't have made me nervous. Except. The housekeeping was odd - they'd only make one bed, wouldn't replace used cups, didn't replace empty kleenex boxes, and...shorted us towels. So, when I would have to go to the front desk to ask for more towels, I'd have to specify that it was because housekeeping didn't leave enough so I wouldn't be charged for "missing" ones. To be clear, there is no warning at check in that you'll be charged for missing or stained towels - I only knew because I saw other guests fighting with the front desk over the issue at checkout and so was careful for the duration of our stay. Either this is a very shady area, or the property owner is too cheap to know his/her business, because I've NEVER had a hotel try to charge me for towels outside of an accidental stay in a shady part of Chicago (and on that occasion our group left with bedbugs, not towels...not the best company to keep, Super 8 Huntington). The last downside to the place is the one front desk staff member is the exact foil to the competent Laine. While she's sweet and kind and very, very good at her job, this guy is very much not. I won't name him here, but you'll know him if you, like I, had the misfortune of dealing with him at checkout. The process of getting receipts - usually a quick printout - took 45 minutes and I still left empty handed because he didn't know how to do anything and was baffled by how to use a printer. It didn't matter what the question or concern was, this guy was just confused, and I'm pretty sure handed me his manager's card three or four times. Fortunately Laine was able to correct the charges, answer my questions and email me a receipt - if it were up to this guy I'd still be waiting five days later.

Despite the list of downsides, I'd absolutely stay their again, because when all is said and done, a good night's sleep and good service at that price is very hard to come by and outweighs the nuisances. And now I know what nuisances to expect, I can prepare for them so they're not an issue. Heck the view from the hill alone is enough to bring me back - so it's fortunate that the beds are comfy, too.

Room Tip: Third floor if you can manage it - seemed the quietest and least smoky.