“Basic comfort food dishes.”
Review of Central City Cafe

Central City Cafe
Ranked #30 of 189 Restaurants in Huntington
Cuisines: American, Cafe
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff
Chicago vicinity
“Basic comfort food dishes.”
Reviewed July 1, 2012

This is yet another restaurant we saw on Diners, Drive-ins and Dives. Central City Cafe isn't in a location where I'd normally go looking for a restaurant, nor is it a restaurant that I'd normally seek out when passing though a town. But, then again, it was featured on a DDD episode. And I'm glad I went.

The menu is rather simple, just basic comfort food-type dishes. My wife and I each tried a meatloaf sandwich. It was very good, moist and definitely with a homecooked feel... wholly unlike the meatloaf I grew up eating. (Sorry, Mom.) I was hoping to try their white bean chili, but it was out of season. That was my only disappointment and I got over it pretty quickly. Actually, I was over it as soon as the meatloaf arrived. Our server was enthusiatic and friendly, and we had a pleasant conversation with one of the owners.

The area is a bit run-down looking, but that shouldn't deter. Also its a bit away from Huntington's downtown district, so you may need a good map or GPS to find it.

• Visited May 2012
2 Thank BigTool

Plano, Texas
“Good food, good people”
Reviewed June 11, 2012

The food is awesome and the servers are great. The atmosphere is a little bit outdated, but its quaint.

Visited March 2012
Hinton, Canada
“Good lunch choice”
Reviewed April 27, 2012

Friendly, local, good food, nice folks--a good value.

• Visited February 2012
Huntington, West Virginia
“Nice menu but...”
Reviewed February 6, 2012

a little overpriced. Their lunch specials are usually pretty good, and the food has that homecooked feel to them. Definitely worth a trip if in town just because the diner itself is awesome.

Louisville, Kentucky
“Great Lunch”
Reviewed December 6, 2011

Had lunch at this Diners, Drive Ins and Dives recomended cafe and had a great meal. My lunch special ,kraut and weiners, was tasty and plentiful. Corn bread was too large to finish. The meal for two was about 22 including 1 drink. I saw a lot of locals visiting which gives me a good feeling about the place. Looks like they have been there a long time. Staff were very friendly and attentive. I would return here for a typical american flavor lunch.
On another note, there were several antique stores in same block.

• Visited November 2011