“Cheap, sleazy, problems...NOT Days Inn material”

Days Inn Huntington
Ranked #10 of 12 Hotels in Huntington
New Jersey
“Cheap, sleazy, problems...NOT Days Inn material”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 7, 2007

I had pre-booked this hotel on their website. I normally book a Days Inn or Ramada because of the reputation and service I have received at other hotels in this chain. We got to the hotel early (1pm) and were told to come back at 3pm as they had been booked solid the night before and maids were busy. We came back at 3pm and were told our room STILL wasn't ready so we waited in the lobby. We heard a phone-call come in from a room with a TV that didnt work. They said they'd send someone. However, most of the desk clerks and maintenance guy were getting ready to leave (he said he was leaving so he couldn't do anything until the next day!). The head maid came in with rooms that were ready. While she was inputting into into their system, they guy with the broken TV came in and complained - in person. She said she'd take care of it for him. When he left, she told the manager that she'd just switch a good TV from another room!! (what about the poor sap that gets the room with the bad TV after the switch???) Several people came in to get a room and were told they didnt have any available - booked solid. But one gentleman was told to wait - that they'd have something available a little later (strange if you are booked solid, huh?). They had also told several callers and other people that they were "short" on towels and that if there weren't any in the room, there would be later on. The clerk asked us what we were waiting for (we had only been there 35 mintues and told 3 people what we were there for) and we told her. She said - just wait a few minutes, I'll have some rooms available after I go thru the reservations. I told her "we HAVE a reservation!" She said - oh - and finally gave us our room. When we entered the room we were STUNNED - to say the least. Although the room was clean, it looked like the type of room you'd rent by the hour!!!!! Cheap, sleazy - the furniture was crappy and mis-matched. There were holes in the walls in the bathroom (some from where they had re-attached the shower rod SEVERAL times) and there was no outlet at the vanity because they had put the small refrigerator and microwave there!!! so, you couldnt plug in the hair dryer or the coffee pot except in the outlet down near the floor on the other side of the room!!! My husband went to use the toilet and it backed up!!! We called the front desk and they said they'd send someone to fix it shortly (we had already seen the maintenance man leave). I told them we were going out and would be back in a few hours. Which we did. We came back around 7:30pm and the toilet was STILL backed up!!! We went to the front desk and my husband asked the clerk for a plunger so he could fix it himself. While the clerk was actually looking for a plunger, another man (i'm assuming it was another maintenance guy) asked him what he was doing. He told him and the guy said - i'll go fix it in a "little while". We went back to the room and I attempted to take a shower. I say - attempted. When I turned the water to the "hot" setting, i got barely lukewarm water! So - my shower was virtually a cold shower. not good. We went out to eat and returned to find our toilet fixed BUT - when we tried to lock the security lock above the door handle, it did not engage. It was all twisted and out of alignment. As a matter of fact, we had a very hard time opening the door because the handle was so misaligned!!! (NOT very security concious!!!) The next morning, by accident, I found out that if you turned the bathtub water to "cold" you got HOT WATER! (I'm assuming the pipes were backwards!) So I finally got a hot shower. We went out for the day but, upon our return, our room key didn't work anymore!!!! We had to go back up to the front desk to get another key! My advise on this hotel is to go stay in Barboursville at the Best Western or Hampton Inn. They are MUCH better hotels for the money. If I was in charge of Days Inn, I would be embarrassed to have my name on this hotel!

• Liked — Leaving
  • Disliked — My entire stay!!!!!
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
3 Thank deemcintyre

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
A TripAdvisor Member
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 24, 2006

My family was excited about staying here on our annual trip to Louisville from Raleigh. We made a premade reservation for a king suite called in from Raleigh, but when we got to the hotel, the desk lady could not find it. In fact, when we walked in, the lady paid us no attention and was talking to a friend, who it turned out didn't even work at the inn. When they finally found our reservation confirmation, they gave us the wrong key. The key was to a dingy room with one queen bed (which they assumed could sleep a family of four). We had to drive back across the huge complex to the office where the lady was talking to her friend. When we told her she gave us the wrong key, she rolled her eyes and said, "well I could of sworn I gave you the right one..." She searched around and gave us another key. This room was at the far end of the building and was actually the right room! When we got in the room, however, there was a huge blood stain on the floor and the fold out bed had a paper thin matress with a stain on the sheets as well. The bathroom, which had broken lights, was dirty and only had enough towels for two people. The one tiny window was grimy. And, to make matters worse, about twenty feet from our car was an establishment called Nancy's Lounge, who's hours were starting in the evening to early morning. The place looked like a trailer, and had no windows. It turned out it was a strip club and bar, and having children in the family, we refused to stay next to the filthy establishment, which we were afraid would generate a lot of noise and drunken people. At first, we were going to stay in another room, but when we went to the office, the lady was still talking to her friend (30 minutes later). We overheard her friend saying, "Oh yeah, I'm gonna wear my boots tonight" and they both began laughing, but stopped when they saw us in the room. The desk lady wad frustrated that we were exchanging rooms and rolled her eyes again. This was the final straw. We told her we were leaving, and all she had to say was "fine", and began talking to her friend again. Please don't stay at this horrible place- go a few miles down the road to the Holiday Inn Express or if you are desperate, stay in downtown Huntington or just don't stay here at all.

• Stayed July 2005
2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
waco, tx
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 26, 2005

Having already booked this hotel, I read horrible reviews and expected the worst. The stay was great, everything I needed was taken care of. Great service, room was clean, everything worked, good price. Would stay again.

• Stayed December 2005
2 Thank sooner019
Columbia, MD
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 19, 2004

We recently spent three nights at the Days Inn on Rt. 60 in Huntington, WV - we walked into a room that smelled of a bathroom disinfectant cake; the room was tidy, however, the walls were filthy with holes in them; there was mold along the rim of the shower unit. The sheets were hopefully clean; however, they were so thin it was hard to tell.

On the plus side - the people were all very nice, and the continental breakfast was fine - the lobby area was fine.

The real problem was lack of maintenance.

There was a Red Roof Inn behind the motel that had much nicer landscaping, although I can't vouch for their rooms. The Days Inn had no landscaping.

4 Thank travelanywhere-7