“STAY AWAY....WORST MOTEL EVER!!”

Days Inn Huntington
Ranked #10 of 12 Hotels in Huntington
West Virginia
“STAY AWAY....WORST MOTEL EVER!!”
Reviewed June 25, 2008

We booked our trip through Expedia, thank goodness! The motel was not Days Inn quality. When we pulled in the parking lot there wer 20 mattresses laying at the end of the building by the road. One that looked blood soaked. The staff was very rude. The room was dirty, the bathroom was disgusting and the manager refused to give us our money back. We booked the room as did 3 other couples (with children) to attend a state track meet. When we told the manager we would not be spending the night at the motel, she had an attitude and told us to get out of the lobby. The other couples did not get their money refunded. We received our money back from Expedia. The other couples paid for the room when they checked in (prior to knowing what their room was like). I would not recommend this motel to anyone. This was the worst experience we have every had. The pictures on the website are not what the motel looks like. We ended up getting a room at the Best Western and were very pleased!

• Liked — nothing
  • Disliked — everything was terrible
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with family
1 Thank trl697

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Colorado Springs
Reviewed November 26, 2007

We stayed at the Days Inn in Huntington, WV. We were on a two week trip through West Virginia and this was the worst hotel we experienced on our trip. The room had mistakenly been booked as a smoking room and the hotel personnel were unwilling to try to put us in a non-smoking room even though the hotel did not look full. The room door looked as though someone had tried to kick it in and there was trash outside the door. There were not enough towels and when I called for more towels, the person was rude. I did finally get more towels brought to the room and that person was very nice; however, nothing was ever done about the trash outside the door. It appeared as though the person assigned to clean the room had been interupted and had never gotten back to finish cleaning the room. During the night, I thought I head someone trying to get into our room. I've stayed at other Days Inns and this hotel was definitely not up to their standards.

• Disliked — cleanliness of the room
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank shelman
charleston, sc
Reviewed November 12, 2007

Honestly, I believe the star rating should be based in part by the cleanliness and functionality of the room. Yes, it had a seasonal pool, free breakfast, and I THINK laundry facilities...not entirely sure about that which is what gives it 2 stars. But, the bathroom door did not work, my son and I were stuck in it at random times. and it never completely closed and it is visible that people have pulled it, breaking it, to get out. The door jamb was broken and the edge of the door had screws in it to hold it down. The toilet backed up and overflowed. The plumbing on the sink was backwards and my son got hot water for cold and nearly scalded. The entry door to the room from outside had a huge gap on the bottom and side causing a constant draft and chill being November. The bathroom floor behind the door was caked with dirt and hair. Cigarette burns all over the bathtub edge. Someone apparently spilled a drink on the end table between beds that was not cleaned up either. The drawer with the phone book and guest guide was wet and the pages were stuck together and dripping with a mildewed odor when I tried to see what was in the area. Not to be presumptuous, but she directly asked if I reserved the room on the internet, and when I said yes, she decided what room to put me in. I happened to get there before check in time and the entire hotel was nearly empty. She called housekeeping to ask if that specific room was clean. I was not allowed to simply get a different room. I had to come back later (after driving all night and needing to sleep). That was the room she wanted me to have. I can only assume for the fact that I reserved it from the internet saving me a few dollars. I believe it was the manager. Also the ONLY coke machine for the entire facility was in the lobby and had a paper taped on it saying "out of order". I went looking for another and found an ice machine that was out of order, directing everyone to use the one nearest the office. Overall my experience at the Days Inn, Huntington, was to say the least... awful.

• Liked — Sheets were clean
  • Disliked — getting stuck in bathroom, backed up toilet, reversed plumbing
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled with family
Ridgeway, Va.
Reviewed September 4, 2007

This hotel was a last resort on a trip we were making to Ohio. We were pleasantly surprised with the staff friendliness, the large room, free wireless internet access, and the many amenities compared to the room rate. Highly recommended.

• Stayed August 2007
1 Thank tnelson_2000
kentucky
Reviewed August 21, 2007

water stains on the ceiling,room was dirty and smells this is by far the worst days inn i have ever stayed at

Stayed August 2007
New Jersey
Reviewed August 7, 2007

I had pre-booked this hotel on their website. I normally book a Days Inn or Ramada because of the reputation and service I have received at other hotels in this chain. We got to the hotel early (1pm) and were told to come back at 3pm as they had been booked solid the night before and maids were busy. We came back at 3pm and were told our room STILL wasn't ready so we waited in the lobby. We heard a phone-call come in from a room with a TV that didnt work. They said they'd send someone. However, most of the desk clerks and maintenance guy were getting ready to leave (he said he was leaving so he couldn't do anything until the next day!). The head maid came in with rooms that were ready. While she was inputting into into their system, they guy with the broken TV came in and complained - in person. She said she'd take care of it for him. When he left, she told the manager that she'd just switch a good TV from another room!! (what about the poor sap that gets the room with the bad TV after the switch???) Several people came in to get a room and were told they didnt have any available - booked solid. But one gentleman was told to wait - that they'd have something available a little later (strange if you are booked solid, huh?). They had also told several callers and other people that they were "short" on towels and that if there weren't any in the room, there would be later on. The clerk asked us what we were waiting for (we had only been there 35 mintues and told 3 people what we were there for) and we told her. She said - just wait a few minutes, I'll have some rooms available after I go thru the reservations. I told her "we HAVE a reservation!" She said - oh - and finally gave us our room. When we entered the room we were STUNNED - to say the least. Although the room was clean, it looked like the type of room you'd rent by the hour!!!!! Cheap, sleazy - the furniture was crappy and mis-matched. There were holes in the walls in the bathroom (some from where they had re-attached the shower rod SEVERAL times) and there was no outlet at the vanity because they had put the small refrigerator and microwave there!!! so, you couldnt plug in the hair dryer or the coffee pot except in the outlet down near the floor on the other side of the room!!! My husband went to use the toilet and it backed up!!! We called the front desk and they said they'd send someone to fix it shortly (we had already seen the maintenance man leave). I told them we were going out and would be back in a few hours. Which we did. We came back around 7:30pm and the toilet was STILL backed up!!! We went to the front desk and my husband asked the clerk for a plunger so he could fix it himself. While the clerk was actually looking for a plunger, another man (i'm assuming it was another maintenance guy) asked him what he was doing. He told him and the guy said - i'll go fix it in a "little while". We went back to the room and I attempted to take a shower. I say - attempted. When I turned the water to the "hot" setting, i got barely lukewarm water! So - my shower was virtually a cold shower. not good. We went out to eat and returned to find our toilet fixed BUT - when we tried to lock the security lock above the door handle, it did not engage. It was all twisted and out of alignment. As a matter of fact, we had a very hard time opening the door because the handle was so misaligned!!! (NOT very security concious!!!) The next morning, by accident, I found out that if you turned the bathtub water to "cold" you got HOT WATER! (I'm assuming the pipes were backwards!) So I finally got a hot shower. We went out for the day but, upon our return, our room key didn't work anymore!!!! We had to go back up to the front desk to get another key! My advise on this hotel is to go stay in Barboursville at the Best Western or Hampton Inn. They are MUCH better hotels for the money. If I was in charge of Days Inn, I would be embarrassed to have my name on this hotel!

• Liked — Leaving
  • Disliked — My entire stay!!!!!
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled as a couple
3 Thank deemcintyre
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed June 24, 2006

My family was excited about staying here on our annual trip to Louisville from Raleigh. We made a premade reservation for a king suite called in from Raleigh, but when we got to the hotel, the desk lady could not find it. In fact, when we walked in, the lady paid us no attention and was talking to a friend, who it turned out didn't even work at the inn. When they finally found our reservation confirmation, they gave us the wrong key. The key was to a dingy room with one queen bed (which they assumed could sleep a family of four). We had to drive back across the huge complex to the office where the lady was talking to her friend. When we told her she gave us the wrong key, she rolled her eyes and said, "well I could of sworn I gave you the right one..." She searched around and gave us another key. This room was at the far end of the building and was actually the right room! When we got in the room, however, there was a huge blood stain on the floor and the fold out bed had a paper thin matress with a stain on the sheets as well. The bathroom, which had broken lights, was dirty and only had enough towels for two people. The one tiny window was grimy. And, to make matters worse, about twenty feet from our car was an establishment called Nancy's Lounge, who's hours were starting in the evening to early morning. The place looked like a trailer, and had no windows. It turned out it was a strip club and bar, and having children in the family, we refused to stay next to the filthy establishment, which we were afraid would generate a lot of noise and drunken people. At first, we were going to stay in another room, but when we went to the office, the lady was still talking to her friend (30 minutes later). We overheard her friend saying, "Oh yeah, I'm gonna wear my boots tonight" and they both began laughing, but stopped when they saw us in the room. The desk lady wad frustrated that we were exchanging rooms and rolled her eyes again. This was the final straw. We told her we were leaving, and all she had to say was "fine", and began talking to her friend again. Please don't stay at this horrible place- go a few miles down the road to the Holiday Inn Express or if you are desperate, stay in downtown Huntington or just don't stay here at all.

• Stayed July 2005