“Great Vacation”

Williamson, West Virginia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Great Vacation”
Reviewed October 7, 2012

it was fun for the entire family. There was something for everyone. the rides were great, the games were wonderful and the food was good too.

Visited August 2012
3 Thank bobbie h

Knoxville, TN
50 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 166 helpful votes
“Small park with classic charm”
Reviewed October 2, 2012

I actually did not have great expectations going into this park because of some of the reviews and knowing how small it is. I am now very glad that we decided to make the trip to Huntington in spite of all of that because this was a great little local amusement park with a lot of classic charm that kept us busy for most of the day. While it would not take long at all if you only wanted to ride everything once and leave, we were able to spend a good part of the day just riding things over and over, snacking on midway foods (the corn dogs are especially delicious), and enjoying the atmosphere.

The rides do seem to suffer somewhat from lack of TLC and the scariest part of the Big Dipper coaster is wondering whether the structure itself will survive the ride. Also, safety does not seem to be on the forefront of the employees' minds as I never heard a single safety spiel. In fact, it became a game for us to point out anytime that we actually heard a ride attendant speak because they did it so infrequently. Other than the silent, inattentive ride attendants, the employees at other parts of the park were very friendly. Two rides were not running that day (including their newest 2012 addition), which was a little disappointing since the absence of even one ride from such a small park is very noticeable.

This is definitely not a park that is on par with a Disney, Universal, Six Flags, or Cedar Fair park, but it is not intended to be. It is a local park with a long history of providing inexpensive entertainment for the area and should be appreciated as just that. It is something that is not found in many areas anymore as many similar parks have been unable to stay afloat over the years. While the rides are not the most exciting or technologically advanced, they still provide a great time. The Haunted House operates on a ride system that is extremely rare these days, and the Big Dipper still uses a manual braking system (the Haunted House braking system is also as manual as it gets, since you are stopped by a person grabbing the car). Classic attractions like this should be appreciated for what they are instead of compared to the newest and the best so that they can remain for generations to come to enjoy. I definitely think we will be back to Camden Park in the future.

Be sure to check their website for admission deals. Tickets online are cheaper than at the gate, but we were also able to get a coupon off of the website that made tickets at the gate cheaper than the already-reduced prices online.

Visited September 2012
5 Thank swacer
Columbus, Ohio
58 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 69 helpful votes
“Skip It”
Reviewed September 29, 2012 via mobile

Even as an amusement park and roller coaster enthusiast with a little research on what to expect, I was greatly disappointed. It took us one hour to hit everything on a September Saturday. Buying tickets from the park's website saved us a few bucks but in the end still wasn't really worth it.

By no means was the park dirty or were the employees not polite, it's just a very tired charmless park. The music-less midway had carnival style games with similar food booths. From the sky ride and railway are views of the dilapidated neighborhood. Both coasters although family friendly are forgettable. The only unique feature of this park is its gravity powered haunted house which too has seen better days. Unless you're a coaster counter and "must" get the credits as myself, just skip it and instead hit the closest options at Coney Island near Cincy for small park charm or Kings Island for larger thrills.

3 Thank JWhyJ
Logan, West Virginia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“A Child Delight & A Parent's Getaway”
Reviewed September 19, 2012

We've gone to Camden Park since I was a child and I enjoyed Camden Park with my own children as much as they did. It is always fun to just get away and have fun.

Visited September 2012
1 Thank Janet D
Charleston, West Virginia
80 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 60 helpful votes
“Old Park”
Reviewed September 17, 2012

I first went to Camden Park in the 70's and they had lots of rides. I took my daughter in the late 80's and each year there were less rides. The best time to go was early evening after the groups left. We were able to get on the rides without waiting and ride them multiple times before leaving. I haven't been since 1995.

1 Thank Robin G