“Basic”

TownePlace Suites Huntington
Ranked #6 of 12 Hotels in Huntington
Reviewed February 8, 2013

In this area there are not alot of choices and this is the only Marriott property near Huntington. The people are friendly and the property is not that old. Everything else is what I would say is basic, it meets my needs as a business traveler but does nothing more. The breakfast is basic, so is the workout room. I will say the rooms are laid out very compact but include a good desk area and a nice kitchen area with a full size fridge. Housekeeping was spotty at best. The hotel was quite so it did allow for a decent night sleep. This property is overpriced if you pay the website booking rate but if more competiton builds or moves in the price point may be forced to drop.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business

Reviewed January 24, 2013 via mobile

Been there for two nights, the rooms were good (two different types).
Don't expect any meaningful breakfast, but you could DIY. I didn't have time to.
The manager was flexible in very late checkout, which I had to do unexpectedly.

• Stayed: January 2013
Reviewed January 7, 2013

I am a Marriott member and a frequent traveler. This was, by far, the worst Marriott we've been to. The room itself was bearable (grime and scum in the bathroom but not terribly dirty) but the worst part is the customer service- or lack thereof. We were surprised with a $107 pet fine on our credit card statement even though our pet is tiny, hypo-allergenic, and well-behaved. They never mentioned this fine when we asked about their pet policy. No extra cleaning was needed for our room, yet they refused to wave the charges. In addition, make sure you get to breakfast early! As I was filling my cereal bowl, I was told to quickly make my selections as they were closing it down. I was literally bumped out of the continental breakfast! There were two other people still eating there as well! Yikes. There are multiple better options in there area with clean rooms and kind management so don't waste your time here!

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank SeeTheWorldMama
Reviewed December 3, 2012

Hotel had a few maintenance issues on my first stay, but as I noted, was still a promising hotel. No such issues this time around. Friendly staff, fast check in, well appointed and clean room, and all the comforts of home.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed December 1, 2012

We stayed here with our two toddlers and were very pleased. This hotel is in a great location. Very close to Marshall University, downtown, and the mall is a few exits away. The king rooms are small but have great, clean, new kitchens. Also the outdoor pool was so nice. The breakfast was small but enough to get us started for the day. Do not hesitate to stay here. I travel a lot and have high standards when traveling with toddlers and we are staying here again in a few weeks. I can't think of one complaint. Clean convenient hotel!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed November 25, 2012

checked into this hotel and discovered we only had one huge king size bed and a small pull out sofa for the other bed. very disappointed. the sofa had a pull out mattress that was very very thin and i dont see how anyone could sleep on it. worst of all this hotel had stink bugs in my bed when i pulled the covers down both in the king sleeper and bad in the pull out sofa. immediately went down to tell staff about this and they acted as if it were nothing. these bugs were native to this area and really didnt cause any harm the staff stated. i was absolutely mortified and definitely did not want to stay or sleep with bugs - particularly not in my bed. staff said they would clean the room. i still did not want to stay here. really had to express my disbelief and concern about this to upper management. talked to general manager who was, after much talking and talking, agreed to give us our monies back, which i prepaid 5 months ago for a planned train ride. also, they stated that since i was not staying I would not be charged for the room, but i quickly discovered when i got home, they indieed had charged me for the day i walked into the room and came down and complained. i was so upset. anyway, many phone calls later to billing and my credit card company, i finally got my monies back and issues were resolved. will NEVER NEVER STAY here. dont recommend to anyone else either. if you have any issues at all, good luck with staff? we went across the street to another hotel and it was great. no bugs whatso ever. dont recommend staying here and if you do you will have little visitors that stick.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed November 15, 2012

1st impression was not good- cigarette butts all over the parking lot and there was nobody at the desk to check us in when we arrived. Waited around about 5-10 minutes before a desk clerk arrived. No apology- they just seemed frazzled. Definite pet odors in room, so we switched, the second room was better (umm, why didn't they give us that room 1st?, wouldn't the housekeeper notice the awful cat smell in the room?). I am Platinum Elite staus and we expect a clean room at any Marriott hotel. Carpet was sticky, halls were filthy, room was barely cleaned- old trash left under the bed and in the drawers. Will not return to this hotel. Thank you.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family