“best stopover ever”

Ranked #3 of 12 Hotels in Huntington
NASHVILLE
“best stopover ever”
Reviewed June 22, 2009

traveling with my dog, just needed some place to crash overnight. This was great. Clean, quiet, comfortable, cheap (in the best sense of the word.) Friendly staff. Only drawback was lack of real restaurants nearby.

Stayed June 2009, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (84)
Gloucester, VA
Reviewed December 30, 2008

Wife and I stopped here on way to Illinois. Haven't stayed at a Red Roof in over 20 years. We were very impressed with this hotel. Staff was very friendly, rooms were immaculate!
We tried to stay here again on way back through, but they were full. We had to stay next door at Days Inn which was horrible!

• Stayed December 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Michael H
Cincinnati
Reviewed November 29, 2008

This was the second Red Roof we stayed in the last couple of weeks. We found both quite satisfactory. We checked in about 9 p.m. without a reservation. We were going to be charged $15 more than the price quoted on the hotel website. When I mentioned this the clerk reduced our rate without an argument. She did mention that that rate is when you book on-line. She was very friendly. When I mentioned we were traveling with our teenage son she got a couple of extra towels for us (without having to ask!) The room was quite adequate in size and very clean. The bed and pillows were comfortable. The sink was outside the bathroom. I like this. The shower was incredible - better than most. Otherwise the room was just the basics - no hair dryer, no iron or board, no coffee maker, no breakfast bar. There was coffee/tea in the lobby. Checkout was simple, staff were friendly. If you are looking for a clean, comfortable place to stay on a budget this is the place.

• Stayed November 2008, traveled with family
1 Thank quezmom
Indianapolis
Reviewed November 10, 2008

This is the second time we stayed here, and although the building is beyond ugly and the setting leaves a lot to be desired, this is pretty much a model of affordable lodging. The room "decor" is pretty simple, but it looks like they tried to be a little creative, and the rooms are extremely clean. The first time we heard no noice whatsoever, but this stay we were on the first floor and could hear the people above us. Only real complaint is that the rooms do not have an iron or a hair dryer -- not a big complaint, but something we have become accustomed to at other hotels.

• Stayed November 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank richnindy
Johnson City, Tennessee
Reviewed July 15, 2008

My husband and I stayed at this property for three nights while attending a wedding in Huntington.

We reserved an all-inclusive business king room online. When I called the hotel to confirm the reservation, I realized that I had booked a smoking room. It was changed to a non-smoking room with no problems.

We checked in at 2 am, but the clerk was awake and efficient and very pleasant. She even gave us a lower rate than what we had reserved online (thank you!).

We were very pleased with the room. The decor was great! See photos. The room was very clean and quiet, the a/c worked well. The room had a king bed wtih three pillows, arm chair, tv, microwave, fridge, desk area, alarm clock w/ MP3 player input, and one thing I like, the sink outside the bathroom. The bathroom was VERY nice, upscale showerhead and shower curtain, nice wood flooding. Shampoo comes in foil pouches; I didn't sample it. There was no hair dryer supplied in the room.

The all-inclusive business king room includes free long distance and free wi-fi. You have to ask for a wi-fi card (T-Mobile access card with PIN) to access their internet service for free. The card gives you 24 hours of wi-fi, so you need to pick up a new card for each night of your stay. We were not offered the card at check-in, so I did not know about this until I called the front desk in the morning to find out how to access the free wi-fi. I did not use any long distance to know how that service works.

The only thing I didn't like about this hotel was that there was no continental breakfast offered. There is a machine in the lobby that dispenses coffee and other hot drinks. Our room did not have a coffee maker.

Restaurants nearby include McDonald's and Shoney's.

One warning: the entrance to the hotel is hard to find. Do not follow the big lighted Red Roof Inn sign, it's not at the hotel entrance. Instead, turn just past the Days Inn building; the hotel is behind there.

• Liked — Excellent value for the money
  • Disliked — No continental breakfast
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
2 Thank xrae
USA
Reviewed July 13, 2008

We stayed one night as a stopover en route to Kentucky. The price was low and the room was OK; definitely nothing special. It was clean, fairly small; the A/C unit made a lot of noise. The setting is an unappealing strip of fast food places, other roadside hotel chains, etc. I really disliked the pillows; way too high and firm for my taste, so I didn't sleep well. We drove to downtown Huntington for dinner; I would have preferred to stay somewhere downtown in a more interesting setting, but the Red Roof's price was certainly good and it worked OK as a quick stopover. I don't understand the rave reviews though.

• Stayed July 2008
1 Thank flex_nc
Robson, West Virginia
Reviewed May 6, 2008

After our last stay at a Red Roof, we weren't sure if this was the place we wanted to stay in Huntington. We almost considered the Super 8, but we were low on funds this week. I'm really glad that it happened that way! This Red Roof really shows that the chain's high standards are on a comeback!
We stayed in the All-Inclusive King room, definitely worth the few dollars extra if you're traveling alone or with your spouse. It has so many amenities that you don't find in the normal rooms, like free internet (it's extra in the other rooms), a microwave & fridge, a large desk area for business, and brand new everything from floor to ceiling! The look of the furniture and bathroom was just awesome. I told my partner, "I wish our bedroom looked like this!". The room was non-smoking and had a pleasantly fresh scent to it. It was was emaculate and you'd almost swear no one had stayed here before!
The staff here is very friendly and go beyond a normal effort to help you with any questions that you may have. If you are on a budget or even if you're not, this is definitely one of the best motels I've stayed in for a long time. It is the BEST hotel I've EVER stayed in for the price! Keep on doing what you're doing Red Roof!

P.S. Readers, I am a very critical reviewer, and usually I don't write reviews this positive, so BELIEVE me please when I tell you that this hotel is good!:)

• Liked — the relaxing feeling I got staying there!
  • Disliked — that I couldn't stay longer!
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled on business