“Excellent”

Ranked #11 of 12 Hotels in Huntington
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“Excellent”
Reviewed April 10, 2011

I stayed here when I went to visit my husband and this was a wonderful place to stay. I had a very easy time with check-in, the valet service is excellent. The rooms are very excellent, they were very clean and up to date.... It was a wonderful experience, it was close to the river and it was right next to Pullman Square and a lot of stuff to do downtown. It was very, very wonderful! I would stay there again!

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
Anna P, Manager at Pullman Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, October 24, 2011
Thank you for your comments and we look foward to seeing you again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
Fishing Creek, Maryland
Reviewed March 21, 2011

Day One of a Twelve-Plus day road trip across the US and Canada, ultimately ending up in Shelby, MT. Huntington was the first stop, leaving from the Virginia Eastern Shore. I went to check out Marshall University's campus and the Ohio River, as well as this part of West Virginia, which I had never driven through.

I was not disappointed, either by the Pullman or Huntington. Perhaps not the place for a five-star vacation, but a comfortable stopping point, and a unique city that seems to be more vibrant than I had expected. Certainly a good place to go to school, if you're in the market.

The rooms at the Pullman were spacious, comfortable, clean, and worth the money. The river view I had was worth the extra ten bucks--simply beautiful. Walking distance to several restaurants and there's one in the hotel itself, but I can't comment on its quality. The breakfast was extremely fatty and I avoided it, although it was complementary. The front desk staff was professional, seemed to know what they were doing, and handled me in a very friendly fashion.

I can't speak to the experiences others had--there seemed to be no shortage of unhappy customers at the desk, but I didn't quite understand why, as I had none of those problems. They seemed to be short on patience and perhaps thought that $90 a night bought them the Four Seasons or something. The Pullman Plaza is a great place to stay, and pay the extra for the river view.

I will agree about the valet parking; that's all they have, so if you don't want to be responsible for tipping the valet often, find street parking. If you pull up to the front, they'll valet your car. It seemed fairly easy to find adjacent parking when I went (but Marshall wasn't back in session yet; dunno if this changes the equation).

• Stayed August 2010, traveled solo
Thank You for your comments we greatly appreciate our guests views.
Reviewed February 12, 2011

There is no parking available only valet, staff are rude and not accommodating, no wi-fi but they offer dailup for free but a screen pops up to tell you that there is a charge. When asked the staff about the internet and she said to ignore the message and we won't be charged and the wi-fi has been broken for a while. The walls are so thin u think your neighbours next-door are sharing a room with you. The faucet in the bathroom was leaking, the plug for the blow dryer was cracked and falling apart and a fire hazard but not replaced.

In short the only nice thing about this hotel is the location. Will never stay there again. A local recommended the holiday inn across the street, will stay there next time.

• Stayed February 2011
2 Thank AriizumiE
Thank you for your comments and we have been working on those issues.

Travelers are raving about these Huntington hotels

Arlington, Virginia
Reviewed December 7, 2010

I stayed at the Pullman for four nights while visiting family in the area. The location is great for downtown Huntington. The breakfast was plentiful, but be sure to bring cash to tip your waitress. They will tell you several times. You also get a free drink coupon for the bar. The steak house is good but pricy. My room was clean and large. The TV reception was poor. I was supposed to have a view of the river, but all I really had was a view of was the Mack and Daves. Don't pay the extra cash for that. We noticed upon entering the room it was freezing, but when we put the heater on low heat it burned us out. The minute we turned it off it got freezing cold again. There was no happy medium. I plugged in the hair dryer in the bathroom and the fuse blew out. The bath products were from Bath and Body Works which was nice. During breakfast one of the days the Fire Alarm went off. It was a false alarm. For about 45 minutes we could not return to our room due to the elevator not running and no access via stairs. The wireless was broken. No parking other than valet or meter. I will say that the Pullman Plaza has local charm but I would not stay there on my next visit.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Sarah K
Athens, West Virginia
Reviewed November 16, 2010

We have stayed at the Pullman Plaza many times and it has gotten increasingly worse over the years. The last visit was the worst. We stay here due to the hotel's proximity to Marshall University and the shuttle service to football games. On game day we arrived at 12:00 and were told there were no rooms ready - we expected that, not a problem. But we did tell the staff that we would like to check in a little before regular check in at 3PM to get to the game by 3PM - to freshen up and change clothes after a three hour drive and a three hour walk around town. "You'll have to check in after the game." No offers to see what they can do or anything. At 2:45 I went back and they told me no rooms were ready. I said, "you are going to get every room in this hotel ready in the next 15 minutes?" Suddenly, a room was available. We checked in and the room itself was OK - better than ones we'd stayed in on previous visits, but as usual the bathroom was not clean - hair on walls, bath drain stopped up. We checked out the next morning (skipped the free breakfast - its never worth even a free visit) and realized when we got home that we had left two jackets in the closet. I called that night and four times the next day before getting someone in charge of housekeeping that told me the jackets weren't there. I can take the rudeness, the dirty bathroom, the crappy breakfast, and the forced valet parking but if they will steal from you that quickly when you leave, who knows what they would take while you are there. I have cancelled all future reservations and will gladly walk to the stadium from the Holiday Inn.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
3 Thank marshallgirl
madawaska, Maine, USA
Reviewed October 26, 2010

Well, after reading other reviews it doesn't even sound like the same place! Our service was excellent. Upon checking in, we requested two refrigerators. They made it up to our rooms with the staff at the same time we did!! We only paid $89 per room which was a discounted rate for the reunion we were attending there at the hotel. I thought the breakfast was delicious even though I only ate a few items...there were other options than the eggs and sausage...i.e. yogurt and fruit. It was complimentary. Also, the valet service WAS NOT mandatory as some have said. We chose a few times not to use it, although it's a hassle to find your car. I was thankful they offered it considering the strange places they had to use for parking. My room was not moldy and the beds were fine. The furniture was outdated some but I didn't go there to stay inside and look at the furniture. I picked this place for the price and convenience as it was in the same hotel as my reunion. If you are looking for luxury, no, you will not find it here except for the gorgeous lobby. But if you are looking for a place right downtown, in walking distance to everything, with adequate rates....this is quite alright. Also, we had hors d'oeuvres at the bar and they were excellent. Also had dinner there one night and was very pleased with the meal although the service was a little slow.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with friends
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed October 7, 2010

We had originally intended to stay at this hotel for 5 days but had to leave after 1 night. The rooms are filthy with mold on walls and cracked ceilings. The beds are terrible!!! This hotel needs to buy new mattresses and do a deep cleaning. The advertized prise will not be honered here and there is no internet service. If you need help with anything dont ask the staff...they know nothing except how to be very rude....rudeness they have down to an art. Sorry to say we would never stay here again or suggest that anyone else does.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled with family