“Memorial Place to Visit”

Grafton National Cemetery
Ranked #2 of 6 things to do in Grafton
Reviewed June 1, 2013

While my husband and I were exploring West Virginia, we came across the Grafton National Cemetery. Since my husband and I are history buffs, we made a stop at the cemetery to few the graves. There were several sections in the cemetery with different dates of burials. We took some time walking around the cemetery and viewing the graves. It is a beautiful, peaceful historical place to visit and a tribute to our fallen heros.

Reviewed April 26, 2013

During the Memorial Day weekend- there are night tours with lanterns.
This is an excellent experience!

1  Thank WVVideo
Reviewed January 9, 2013

Having grown up in Grafton, I must admit I am biased. However, this is a beautiful place to visit if your travels bring you to Grafton, West Virginia. If possible, visit during the Memorial Day holiday as the graves will be filled with flowers brought to them by local school children. Take some time to look at the individual tombstones and give a quick thank you to the deceased who served our country proudly. Soldiers serving in the Civil War are buried here, giving you an idea of the depth of history to be found here. Highly recommended.

Reviewed May 14, 2012

My father was buried here. It is a serene, sacred military resting place. I did not give the highest rating as I wished that the visitor's center had been open - I went on Mother's Day, and saw many visitors. So I thought that this would be the perfect day to have restrooms, the grave look-up system, and friendly faces to query.
It is extremely well kept up and protected on the mountain - the air is scented with fir and fresh breezes.

See more reviews
Reviewed January 7, 2012

A somber place to pay respect to many of West Virginia's veterans, starting as far back as the Civil War. The cemetery was established in 1867 and is the site of the Civil War's first Union casualty, Pvt. Thornsberry Bailey Brown.

The site of the Civil War's first organized land battle is in a town not far away from here in Philippi, WV.