Tygart Lake State Park
$93
Fairfield Inn
$65
$61
All reviewsview of the lakebeautiful parkswimming areatygart lakejet skinice lodgeflat screen tvshort drivenice roomdamcabinmicrowavewvlodgingtrailfurniturepet
Reviewed June 17, 2012

My wife and I spent two nights in one of the cabins at Tygart Lake State Park, and let's just say we weren't exactly sorry to leave when our stay was over.

We needed a place to stay in this area of West Virginia over Memorial Day weekend. The closest hotel chains are about half an hour away in Clarksburg/Bridgeport, and those are just roadside motels that are ok for a one night stopover when you're en route to somewhere else, but they aren't near any recreation, and they aren't the kind of places you want to spend multiple nights. The Tygart Lake lodge is not very big - only about 20-some rooms, and it was already booked up when we planned our trip back in January. They had a two-person cabin available, so we took that.

We understood beforehand that the cabin was not air conditioned, but we didn't think that would be a huge inconvenience in May. WRONG assumption! The entire weekend experienced near-record-high heat and humidity - so it was essentially August-type weather in May, and the lack of any air conditioning meant no relief inside the cabin from the sweltering heat and humidity outside. We weren't at the cabin during the day, since we were out doing other activities, but getting a good night's sleep each night was a lost cause. The windows did have screens, and we kept the windows open, but the air was dead (not even a light breeze), and even at night the temperature stayed in the high 70's and humid. The only thing in the cabin to provide any air circulation was a rickety old ceiling fan, which shook so hard, we had to keep it on medium instead of high, for fear that it might fall off the ceiling. Also, the ceiling fan motor made so much noise, I would have had trouble sleeping even if the heat hadn't been so sweltering.

The cabin itself was actually not bad - at least that would have been the case, had the weather not been so wretchedly hot and humid. I think it would be a cozy little place in the fall, when you could have a fire in the fireplace at night. But with the lack of air conditioning and the essentially worthless ceiling fan, my advice is to avoid the cabins in the hot weather months, unless you are able to sleep in a sauna-like atmosphere.

Housekeeping: none. They don't even stop in to change the towels. If you want any fresh towels and washcloths, you have to gather up the used ones, drive over to the state park office, and exchange them yourself. At $120 a night, for a cabin with no tv, no phone, and (especially) no air conditioning, one would think that housekeeping could at least stop in and give you fresh towels, but that's another wrong assumption. A word of warning: the cabin did appear to be clean when we arrived, but on our second night we did spot, and kill, a cockroach scurrying up the wall. And you know what they say about cockroaches: for every one you DO see...

Well, at least it was free of bedbugs! But we did keep all of our bags and suitcases zipped shut while we were there, and we checked them when we got home, to make sure we didn't bring home any hitchhikers.

We ate breakfast one morning in the lodge's Boston Beanery restaurant, but that was a sub-par experience as well. Sparing readers the unpleasant details, I'll just say that after eating there, I was glad I had remembered to pack the Pepto-Bismol. Boston Beanery is a local restaurant chain, based out of Morgantown. This was my first - and hopefully, last - experience with them, and I've heard stories from others about unfavorable experiences at some of their other locations. I do know they did have a location in Huntington that is no longer in business. Huntington has been declared the fattest city in the entire country, so if a restaurant can't make it in Huntington, well, there's not much else to be said.

West Virginia, overall, has a good state park system. Many of the other state parks I have visited in West Virginia have been good or great experiences. Hawks Nest and Blackwater Falls are two that immediately come to mind as excellent state parks, with excellent lodging facilities. But Tygart Lake, in my opinion, has some work to do to catch up.

Room Tip: Avoid the un-air conditioned cabins in the warm/hot weather months!
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Louder72
Reviewed November 19, 2011

The Boston Beanery Restaurant now located in the Lodge was a very nice stop for us. We had hoped to get a room but the small lodge was full. We enjoyed chatting with the bartender in the eight-seat bar while watching football on the overhead TV. Good food in a cozy setting; the restaurant and rooms overlook the lake. Good selection of WV items at reasonable prices in the gift shop.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a little deck outside, not all rooms had them.
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple