“Filthy, Run Down Dive”
Review of Thompson's Motel

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Franklin
Thompson's Motel
Ranked #2 of 2 Franklin B&B and Inns
Reviewed March 14, 2013

I knew I was in trouble when I walked into my room and there was a refrigerator-size dehumidifier running at full speed. It ran on high all night! The room reeked of mold and mildew. The rug was absolutely filthy, slept with my shoes on. Not even an entry mat or rug to wipe your feet on when you enter from the outside where the sidewalk was wet, dirty and covered in salt. The beds must be 50 years old, the furniture was falling apart. I could go on and on. One small piece of soap, no shampoo. The towels were like old rags and tiny. There is a restaurant in the same parking lot and the breakfast there was good and cheap. The staff at both places were very friendly as well.

Admittedly, not much choice in Franklin

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank beefdoctor
There are newer reviews for Thompson's Motel

Reviewed March 11, 2013

I stayed here with my wife and my sister and brother-in-law while we attended the Highland Maple Festival. Located one county to the north, the route we took to Monterey led us past a pancake breakfast and two maple sugar farms

Negatives: The towels provided were rough, the rooms' utility faceplates and switches could use a thorough cleaning and the free wifi connections were abysmal to the point where they either were not detectable or often froze up to the point of being unusable.

Positives: Thompson's Motel provided reasonably clean and comfortable rooms at a decent price. Parking was ample and conveniently located next to the rooms. It's restaurant was conveniently open for breakfast and other meals during the weekend (I got the impression that its hours were expanded from the usual for the time of year).

Our experience at Thompson's Motel was typical for accommodations in rural sections of the country where traffic is highly seasonal and, as such, suited us perfectly. We would stay here again.

• Stayed: March 2013
2  Thank SayYah2AYooper
Reviewed October 22, 2012

We were looking for an inexpensive place to stay while visiting Spruce Knob and the Mountain Institute to do some star imaging. This motel was conveniently located about 30 minutes from those locations. Although the motel is old, the room was clean, and the carpet freshly vacumed. Check-in was smooth, the desk staff courteous. There were no towel racks in our bathroom, which was a little inconvenient, but I guess they figured you weren't going to re-use them. The towels themselves were very thin and small. The soap bars are probably smaller than yours when they get so small you throw them out, but they give you several. We had breafast at the Fireside Restaurant just next door, and the experience was very pleasant. All-in-all, for the price, this was just what we were looking for.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed September 25, 2012

Good bargain for a decent room a short walk from the restaurant. Not loaded with amenities but half (or less) the price of places that have them. I've stayed twice now and won't hesitate to do so again.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 1, 2012

Due to the work I do, i get to find these nice little hotels. It had a clean and comfortable bed, a superb shower, and even in the back woods of West Virginia wi-fi. I did enjoy my 2 nights I stayed.

• Stayed: May 2012
3  Thank Steven E
Reviewed February 3, 2012

True, it is an older motel, however, for the price, it is a good value. It was clean and convenient. There is also a restaurant right there within walking distance. The staff was friendly and knowledgable. The bed was very firm, but overall I have no complaints.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled with family
4  Thank shaff45
Reviewed October 10, 2011

This motel was clean without the smell of industrial strength cleaners and /or pesticides. It was reasonably priced. It didn't have a microwave or a refrigerator but there is a restaurant right next to it.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank brooklyngirl56

Been to Thompson's Motel? Share your experiences!