“Nothing fancy but a good place”

Winterplace Ski Resort
Ranked #1 of 1 things to do in Flat Top
More attraction details
Owner description: Winterplace Ski Resort - The Most Accessible and Affordable Ski Resort in the Southeast! Just 5 minutes off I-77, Exit 28 between Beckley and Bluefield, West Virginia. Winterplace Ski Resort boasts 27 Trails, 9 Lifts, 2 Terrain Parks and WV's Largest Snowtubing Park. Can't Ski or Snowboard? No Problem! Winterplace Ski Resort has the Largest Teaching area in the Southeast and was voted the #1 Resort to Learn to Ski/Snowboard at by Blue Ridge Outdoors Magazine. Where WINTER is FUN for EVERYONE! One Call Does It All...800-607-SNOW (7669)! We can take care of all your needs from Lift Tickets, Rental Equipment, Lessons, Lodging and More! Winterplace Offers: Learn to Ski and Snowboard Packages, Stay and Ski Free Packages, Free Night Skiing with All Day Tickets and Group Rates! Discount Season: Early Season and Late Season - Hours and Rates Do Apply
Useful Information: Activities for older children, Food available for purchase, Wheelchair access, Bathroom facilities, Stroller parking, Activities for young children, Stairs / elevator, Lockers / storage
Apopka, Florida
32 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 34 helpful votes
“Nothing fancy but a good place”
Reviewed February 25, 2012

I have been here twice with a church youth group, both times over Presidents Day weekend. Even thought resort is in the name of Winterplace, I wouldn't exactly call it a resort. It's a very middle-class resort, nothing fancy or extra-special about it at all. It's geared toward youth and other groups. The main gripe I have are the restrooms because they are pretty much ignored during the day. When you are running that many people through restrooms, things happen, none of them nice. And, when you have staff that doesn't check, you run out of paper towels and toilet paper, both of which happened during this two-day visit. Also, toilets get clogged up and are inoperable. That happened in both the upstairs and downstairs men's room at the same time. Winterplace is the Kmart/Wal-Mart of skiing. It gets the job done, but in a very utilitarian way.

Visited February 2012
3 Thank Apopkaman

Florence, South Carolina
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Perfect for a youth ski weekend”
Reviewed February 16, 2012

The staff is geared to the youth group and does a very good job of making the novice skiier feel welcome.

Visited February 2012
1 Thank Joe E
Charleston, West Virginia
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 25 helpful votes
“great resort”
Reviewed February 12, 2012

In the mountains of WV - snow and lots to do...great places to eat and a huge area - look closely at the map of the area before picking a place to stay

1 Thank Robyn619
WV
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“Great .”
Reviewed January 31, 2012

Took my daughter and niece there to go tubing. They had a wonderful time and even though it was crowded the lines went quickly. Good atmosphere for kids and adults. Wish I would have had the nerve to try skiing.

Visited January 2012
Palm Bay, Florida
47 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 46 helpful votes
“Don't Count Help From the Staff on the Slopes!!”
Reviewed January 30, 2012

We visit here every year and the ski patrol and the first aid team are top notch but the staff on the slopes ....STINK!! So I can have this for all to read. You can add the real verbs.

This past year in as every February during Presidents Weekend we head to WinterPlace with up to 40 teenagers from our Youth Group. Over the years it gets crazier and crazier...its a youth group from a church all good kids though. Well here's the story...we were snow tubing during this part of our weekend when I personally got wrapped up in the pull cord for the tube. Made me trip and fall and I landed on my face!! Yep lots of blood...I turned around looking for help and the "KID" that was tending the tubing just laughed at me and walked away. YES HE WAS STAFF...they are clearly marked. By the time I made it back to the top of the tubing launch he was gone. Yeah I had to go clean up first...I was a bloody mess (no pun intended to our English friends). The place is crazy insane crowded like a day at Disney on Sunday but the Monday's are usually great times to ski if they don't have to make snow.

Hence the kid on the slope really gave this place a BIG FAT ZERO but the ski patrol and first aid are TOP NOTCH. To bad they can't hire good help across the board. We go back in about 18 days...stay tuned for this years report. I will NOT be skiing this year ... I CAN'T TRUST THE STAFF ON THE SLOPES!!

Visited February 2011