“A great place to introduce young kids to snow skiing”

Winterplace Ski Resort
Ranked #1 of 1 things to do in Flat Top
More attraction details
Owner description: Winterplace Ski Resort - The Most Accessible and Affordable Ski Resort in the Southeast! Just 5 minutes off I-77, Exit 28 between Beckley and Bluefield, West Virginia. Winterplace Ski Resort boasts 27 Trails, 9 Lifts, 2 Terrain Parks and WV's Largest Snowtubing Park. Can't Ski or Snowboard? No Problem! Winterplace Ski Resort has the Largest Teaching area in the Southeast and was voted the #1 Resort to Learn to Ski/Snowboard at by Blue Ridge Outdoors Magazine. Where WINTER is FUN for EVERYONE! One Call Does It All...800-607-SNOW (7669)! We can take care of all your needs from Lift Tickets, Rental Equipment, Lessons, Lodging and More! Winterplace Offers: Learn to Ski and Snowboard Packages, Stay and Ski Free Packages, Free Night Skiing with All Day Tickets and Group Rates! Discount Season: Early Season and Late Season - Hours and Rates Do Apply
Useful Information: Food available for purchase, Stairs / elevator, Bathroom facilities, Activities for young children, Stroller parking, Lockers / storage, Wheelchair access, Activities for older children
Reviewed August 19, 2011

Recently my two grandsons wanted to learn to snow ski. I chose Winterplace because it was a short drive from our home. It was the perfect spot for young skiers. It has a variety of slopes ranging from bunny slopes to a few nice expert slopes. The chair lifts were well maintained and conveniently placed. In addition, there is a tubing park for the non-skiers like my wife or for a nice break from a long days skiing. Both of my grandchildren took advantage of the ski school which caters to all ages. There was plenty of natural snow as well as man-made snow. All of the rental equipment was top quality and well maintained. Our lift tckets were free as part of a package deal at the Glade Springs Resort. We plan to return every winter and highly recommend this ski area for families. The crowds are small and the lift line waits are short so you spend more time skiing and less waiting.

3  Thank Tennessee50plus

Reviewed March 3, 2011

Came out to Winterplace with my 9 year old son. The website said the standard, "A great day for tubing!" Always do your own research on snow reports. It was 40 degrees and pouring down rain when we got out of the car. I made a joke to the guys getting the tubes out Winterplace's web guy needed a raise and a beating with a wet noodle and they laughed and pointed out that the runs were very icy and very fast. They were right. The rain finally slowed and we had a great day on the runs. There was plenty of "hard-packed granular" (read bulletproof ice) and the runs were quick and fun.

The college kids running the place were a little "leisurely" (the ticket counter for the 1pm runs opened at 1:15pm) but Josh and the guys in charge of safety for the tubing area were wonderful, coming out to talk with us about the resort and the area, very knowledgable about the other ski places in the area, and let us stay longer to make up for the delay in starting. My son had a BLAST and frankly, so did I. The boundaries between the runs were well-built, and the slowdown area was long enough, even with the slick runs.

The "carpet lift" was steady and solid, slow enough to not flip you off the back but fast enough that we got in plenty of runs. We went on a Thursday, and even once the rain stopped, the runs were all but empty.

There was a roaring fireplace in the warming lodge just a few steps away, and while I didn't notice any food, I was told that the lodge on the other side (a short drive) was open. We brought our own lunch and talked with some other skiers, who said that Winterplace was a good family mountain - not a tremendous amount of difficult skiing, but a good mix of greens and blues with a few blacks for good measure.

We definitely plan on coming back next year to so dome skiing, and are hoping the temperature drops engouh that they can make some more snow so we can come back again this year!

Reviewed February 14, 2011

This was our first trip to Winterplace. We went on the advice of friends who said that it was great for smaller kids (ours are 7 and 11). They were right--Winterplace is terrific. For smaller children learning how to ski, they offer full and half day "ski camp" that is called SkiWee, where little ones can learn the basics with friends their own age and rejoin their families later (SkiWee also lets the adults ski a bit without someone hanging onto their poles!). The tubing at Winterplace is great too. Definitely for us, the add-on tickets were the way to go with tubing, as it allowed for 2 hours of tubing for $13. Four hours of tubing for $27 (I think) is the other choice, but regardless of price, 4 hours would have been just too long for us...my kids were done with it after two hours. The food is typical fast-food, ski resort stuff but they do at least offer veggie burgers and salads for those vegetarians like me. Lastly, this resort is truly one of the easiest to get to that I've seen...seriously, just exit I-77 and you're there...no snaking 2-lane mountain roads that can add serious time to your travels. We'll be going back!

2  Thank JRLRC
Reviewed February 4, 2011

DO NOT SNOWTUBE THERE!! I went snowtubing at Winterplace with my family on 12/27/10 and we had a horrible experience! I had an accident on my very 1st descent down the lane, where I was ran over by the next person sliding after me, because he couldn't see that there was someone already down there. I had been sitting on my tube still, about to get up and walk out when the acident happened. I was thrown off the tube and hit my head extremelly hard on the ground. I blacked out, and Iwas taken to the E.R. on a stretcher. I never wrote a review before, but I have to warn others: That place is very dangerous! There's no staff or any equipment whatsoever that let's you know the lane is clear for the next person to slide down! Basically you are counting on luck only, either when you're up there ready to go down, or when you've just finished sliding and you're sitting at the bottom of the lane! Those crashes like the one that happened to me can happen at anytime to anyone, had it been a child in my place, she could have died! They had 2 staff members only in the entire snow tubbing park! One, sorting out the tubes at the bottom of the conveyor belt, and the other one up there inside a booth doing I don't know what! Why not invest a little money on security??? Why not hire staff to monitor the top or bottom of the lanes signaling costumers when lanes are clear for the next slider? Or at least install sensors at the bottom of the lanes, like traffic lights that turn green when the lane becomes clear? Now, here I am 5 weeks later, stuck with medical bills from the E.R. in Beckley, stuck with persevering headaches everyday, which not only worry me, but also get in the way of my regular activities, stuck with having to seea Neurologist without having health insurance, while Winterplace refuses to take any responsability for their lack of security, and refuse to help me pay the E.R. bills from the accident. Acording to them, they have 'signs" advising people not to double up, not to chain up tubes and to wait until the lane is clear. I didn't do any of the above, and still was a victim of the accident; as to the person who ran me over, he obviously thought the lane was clear, no one would intentionally cause an acident like that, risking getting hurt themselves! The point is, if you're standing up there at the top of the lane, specially at night, and the person at the bottom is sitting at a "dip" that the lanes have down there, YOU CAN'T SEE ANYONE, and you'll THINK the lane is clear. That's the point!! Apparently saving some extra bucks is too important for the Resort, so compromising on security is ok by them, just like it's ok for them NOT to take reasponsability for accidents once they've happened!!! DON'T EVER SNOWTUBE AT WINTERPLACE EVERYONE!!!

2  Thank santos11_11
Reviewed January 17, 2011

Just came back from Winterplace. I cannot decide whether I want to go again. We went on Martin Luther King weekend and wow was it crowded. I felt like I couldn't really make the turns or the speeds that I wanted because many of the runs were so narrow and congested. Have a few skiiers or snowboarders laying around and you got to do some serious navigation. And, with this being MLK weekend, wipeouts were happening everywhere. I was almost victim twice myself when snowboarders cut right in front of me. My 8 year old daughter had a great time, saying that she loved the slopes because so many of them were pretty manageable. My 12 year old son, an experienced skiier, was able to ski along without me worrying about him because the resort is small.

I was, however, very bummed out that my daughter's expensive snow boots within 24 hours after they were taken to the lost and found. I would never, ever leave anything of any value without it being safe within a locker.

The cafeteria is just about as basic as you can get. Just grab some food and get out on the slopes --- and hope you don't get hit.

Having said all that, I will return --- but for weekday skiing. I like the fact that it is such an easy drive.