“Completely unexpected!”

Gumbo's
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed August 27, 2010

After a day of whitewater rafting we asked a few locals about a good place to eat and Gumbo's seemed to be the one most mentioned. While I was not enthused about a cajun restaurant I saw their menu (from my phone) and realized there was more than just cajun food so off we went. It is a small place and there were only 1 or 2 other diners when we got there. We were promptly seated by a very friendly server. I ordered the shrimp and grits, my husband had the low country boil. I don't remember what the kids had but all of our food was outstanding. Even their desserts were incredible and different from what you see in other restaurants. Perhaps it was wrong of me to assume but I never expected a meal of that caliber in a small town in West Virginia.

Reviewed May 15, 2009

Great Cajun food in Fayetteville, WV! I had the muffaletta and my husband had a po boy and both were really really good. Fast service as well!
They are closed Monday and Tuesday, so make sure you visit the rest of the week!

Reviewed September 2, 2008

I usually have a muffelatta and my husband has the crawfish bo" boy with potatoe salad and fried pickles it is awsome; there is no other words for it... WE LOVE GUMBO'S of FAYETTEVILLE, WV' 25840... TELL HARRY & MARY,,,, CARA .. SENT YOU... YOU Won't regret IT... IT IS GREAT......

Reviewed September 16, 2007

To be honest we stopped mainly because it seemed as if it might be the only restaurant open on a Sunday afternoon in Fayetteville. From the outside it was home-style inviting , and since my husband and I have chosen "mom and pop" restaurants many times in the past over chain style franchise eateries we hoped that we would get a meal if not impressive at this small restaurant, then at least reasonably priced.

Inside only one diner was being served as we examined the extensive menu. A whiteboard on the wall informed us of “Specials” to consider.

There was little to prepare us for the quality meal we were about to enjoy. Fewer than fifteen tables plainly dressed and a little stylized music barely set the New Orleans tone. A faded bubble lamp on the window sill recycled its contents, nearly colorless blobs rising and falling against the backdrop of the quiet main street outside.

My husband ordered the “Big Easy” burger, a broiled Cajun seasoned ½ pounder topped with grilled sweet peppers and melted pepper jack cheese with remoulade on a toasted bun served with potato chips and pickled okra. My teen son ordered “Blackened Roast Beef Cajun Po’ Boy” with blue cheese dressing, lettuce, tomato, sweet onion, chips and pickled okra. I decided on the “Muffuletta,” a thick sandwich of shaved smoked ham, Italian salami, melted provolone and olive salad packed in a seeded bun with fried okra and a couple of okra pickles on the side.

My husband gestured and pointed at the burger between bites indicating that he was eating the best ground beef slapped between two buns he had ever tasted. My son was impressed by the Cajun sub, sparse with his praise until he had finished while I, thoroughly satisfied by the unusual blend of flavors in my own fare, cleaned my plate.

Gumbo’s menu is large and appealing to anyone willing to try new things as well as those who have a taste for southern favorites like “Low Country Shrimp and Grits”.
I wished I could try the “Shrimp Etouffe” and the “French Onion Gratinee”.

While enjoying my “muffuletta” at Gumbo’s I thought about my experience several years ago of dining at a New Orleans garden courtyard style restaurant, its service set on a linen tablecloth, cut flowers near the table’s center. Although the ambiance had been pleasant, I left unmpressed by the fare. I cannot remember what I was served. I do remember that the experience left a dent in my budget.

From start to finish with drinks which included a cold glass of an unusual ale for each adult and a soft drink for our son, our bill at Gumbo’s totalled under $30.

I will remember our pleasant experience at this restaurant - its gourmet style cuisine , great value, and unpretentious attitude.

2  Thank TheCovertCritic