“Reliably tasty cajun”

Gumbo's
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed October 9, 2017 via mobile

This is a great escape from the hipster hangouts in Fayetteville. It's always less crowded and quieter. I've always been happy with their classic Cajun fare of gumbos and creole.

Reviewed October 7, 2017

We were warned upon entering and being seated that service was slow due to "short staff tonight" but decided to stay. Seems one young man was doing everything except cooking in this restaurant on the night we were there. It too a very long while for orders to be taken, then forever to get the food and we actually thought we would have to spend the night before we could get the check. No lie! Now that I think on it, he MAY have been cooking the meals for everyone too. The food was ok, but not top notch as you could expect with all these delays. This was a good while ago so I hope this was just a bad night. We do not go back there because there are so many other excellent places to eat in Fayetteville. Other people seem to love this restaurant. We just happened to hit a very bad night, I suppose.

Reviewed September 19, 2017 via mobile

I went here for a late birthday dinner with some friends and honestly it was one of the best meals I have had in a very long time! Our service was outstanding and the food was delicious!

Reviewed September 10, 2017 via mobile

We were in town over night for white water rafting, there was 6 in our party. Never been here, but stopped due to no wait to be seated. We all ordered the house special fettuccine alfredo and waited an hour and a half for our food, when we finally asked what was taking so long they were not apologetic at all, they were rude. The food was no better than what you can make at home with store bought alfredo, small serving size, no extras, and cost $22 a plate!!!! Please save your money and time! Do not go here!!!!

Reviewed August 2, 2017

My husband is a huge fan of Cajun food, so he was eager to try this restaurant during our vacation, and overall, it was excellent. We ate delicious fried green tomatoes with the best cocktail sauce I've ever had, fantastic French onion soup, a salad with an amazing balsamic vinaigrette, a top-level gumbo and beautifully fried crawfish. As the service was also excellent, if we'd stopped there, this place would easily have gotten 5 stars.

But being from the northeast, I'd never had cheese grits and really wanted to try them. Sadly, they were terrible. The grits were dry, hard and flavorless. Some slices of cheese were just laid on top and when it came to the table they were only partially melted. I expected something smooth and creamy, with the cheese mixed in with the grits. Maybe that's how it's supposed to be? I can't imagine that but who knows. Regardless, I couldn't eat them, and it's the reason I dropped the rating to four stars.