“SKIP THE FOOD!”

Heston Farm’s Foxfire Restaurant
Cuisines: Seafood, Steakhouse
Good for: Families with children, Large groups
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Foxfire Restaurant at Heston Farm combines creative cuisine with casual elegance. With its newly expanded dining room, rustic decor, delicious food and friendly service, Foxfire Restaurant will soon be on the list of your favorite Fairmont dining destinations. Foxfire Restaurant has choices to please any palate or pocketbook. Round out your meal with one of Heston Farm's wines. Our selections include red, white and rose, and range from dry to sweet. Pinchgut Hollow Distillery's homemade buckwheat whiskey is available, as well as domestic and imported beers and microbrews. Foxfire Restaurant's Sunday brunch features favorite selections from the restaurant's lunch and dinner menus, an omelette station, a Greek yogurt bar with toppings, and make your own waffles for the kids. Join us at Foxfire Restaurant for great food, great times and great wine.
Reviewed August 26, 2013

It is difficult to rate the experience at this restaurant. I have been to their Tuesday open mike night three times. The outdoor seating area is great with quirky decorations and very nice landscaping. The train that runs around the patio is very cute.
Now, on to the food. We have eaten dinner there twice. The first time, I remember that I did not enjoy my food and that my husbands expensive sandwich had only two slices of bacon. We just looked at each other and shrugged our shoulders. We were there to be with friends, not for the food. But since I just put my uneaten doggy-bag container of macaroni and cheese into the garbage, I had to write a review.
First of all we only returned because other friends had invited us to join them, otherwise, we would never have eaten there again. Secondly, I have never paid $9.00 for a small dish of macaroni and cheese. No salad . . . nothing accompanying it other than a very small piece of bread. And it was pretty much inedible. Why I even brought it home is just as much of a mystery to me as is the mystery of how a chef can screw up mac and cheese.
This area has a limited amount of restaurant choices, therefore, my husband and I will probably return to visit with friends, but we will eat first and just enjoy the companionship and a glass of wine.

1  Thank owl-observer
Emily H, Manager at Heston Farm’s Foxfire Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded August 28, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your experience at Foxfire Restaurant. I am sorry it wasn't a positive experience for you. We have reviewed the shortcomings and have identified some needed changes in recipe preparation that will ensure more consistent delicious food. We strive to offer quality food and service and do not take such shortcomings lightly.

If you will send us your address, we would like to send you a certificate to dine with us again in efforts to reclaim our reputation and provide you with a delicious meal.

We appreciate your continued patronage and hope to take care of you again in the future.

Reviewed July 30, 2013

what a great place. Servers were fantastic. The bread pudding was the best ever had. Our group of 14 all had a great lunch not one complaint. Will always stop by when in WVA.

Reviewed July 19, 2013

Not enough staff, limited menu, they say they offer gluten free but don't really have any options, it could be a nice place with some changes

Emily H, Manager at Heston Farm’s Foxfire Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded July 22, 2013

Hi sillinursewv,
Thanks for taking the time to offer your feedback. I am very sorry that your experiences have not been favorable, and would like to make this up to you. The farm has been growing by leaps and bounds since the winery opened in 2011, and like many other businesses, we have experienced growing pains. The restaurant was not in our original business plan yet has made a slow progression to become a permanent fixture and (soon to be) it's own entity here on the farm. We are almost to the end of very long project which included the expansion of our kitchen and dining areas; purchasing an additional point of sale system to collect data so that we can make better educated predictions on things such as staffing; as well as many months of planning, researching, traveling, buying, and installing the required equipment to support the release of a new menu with a much wider range of options. Gluten free, vegetarian, and heart healthy substitutions are a few of the things that customers like you have requested, and will be clearly identified on the new menu. If you will email your mailing address to me at info@hestonfarm.com, I would be happy to send you a copy of the new menu once it is released, as well as a gift certificate to come back and try it out. Thanks again for sharing, and I hope to hear from you soon.

Reviewed July 11, 2013

Yep, they sell moonshine. It's legal! But be careful. The apple shine knocked me for a loop. Very, very strong. We bought four bottles (one of each flavor) to give as gifts (sort of a gag gift). But, what's inside is no joke. The stuff is strong.

They also have a small restaurant and I enjoyed a BLT sandwich with a Coke, not moonshine.

Reviewed July 9, 2013

We made a reservation on a busy Saturday evening, and it was lucky we did so. They were not accepting walk-ins that evening due to some large parties and live music later in the evening. We were impressed by the outdoor eating area, and will probably choose that next time. Our reservation was for inside, and we were in the upstairs area. It was a hot, muggy day and the upstairs was very warm and stuffy. Our waitress was visibly sweating! She was also very young and inexperienced. However, she got the job done. The food was excellent, and it was fun to try the wine. My husband had the jambalaya and I had the chicken salad-salad. Both were high quality. They make all the salad dressings on site. Mine was bacon vinaigrette--yum! We had apple crisp for dessert (double yum!), as they were out of our first choice, the blackberry peach cobbler. We asked about a tour, and were told the owner *might* be willing to provide one, but it did not materialize when we checked at the tasting bar. The tasting area is nice, with a friendly, knowledgeable staff member. They will also re-cork your wine if you purchased a bottle with your meal but didn't finish it. (Our waitress didn't mention this, but we asked staff at the tasting bar.) If you are hoping for a tour, make arrangements ahead of time, or go on a week day when staff are more available. Definitely will be back!

1  Thank Ruby F