“Chic for WV”

Ranked #7 of 86 Restaurants in Fairmont
Cuisines: Seafood, Steakhouse
Good for: Large groups, Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Foxfire Restaurant at Heston Farm combines creative cuisine with casual elegance. With its newly expanded dining room, rustic decor, delicious food and friendly service, Foxfire Restaurant will soon be on the list of your favorite Fairmont dining destinations. Foxfire Restaurant has choices to please any palate or pocketbook. Round out your meal with one of Heston Farm's wines. Our selections include red, white and rose, and range from dry to sweet. Pinchgut Hollow Distillery's homemade buckwheat whiskey is available, as well as domestic and imported beers and microbrews. Foxfire Restaurant's Sunday brunch features favorite selections from the restaurant's lunch and dinner menus, an omelette station, a Greek yogurt bar with toppings, and make your own waffles for the kids. Join us at Foxfire Restaurant for great food, great times and great wine.
Morgantown, West Virginia
“Chic for WV”
Reviewed October 29, 2012

Very impressed with the up-scale-ness for being in West Virginia. The place is well decorated and clean. Staff was friendly and attentive. Wines and whiskeys tasted great. They are over-priced though.

Visited September 2012
2 Thank Micalyn A

“I really wanted to like this place....”
Reviewed October 22, 2012 via mobile

I was excited to try this restaurant. The facility is gorgeous, and I was hoping the same quality would be present in the food and service. No such luck. Our waitress didn't know the specials which were written on a blackboard downstairs (dining area is upstairs). Instead of finding them out for us, which I politely suggested she do, she stated this was her third time waitressing (so I guess I shouldn't expect much). I actually had to go downstairs and take a ppicture with my phone so our party could find out the specials.

Food was "meh." We had bacon cheddar biscuits that were small and tough. I had stuffed chicken breast that was overcooked and a big too spicy for my taste, even though I had asked at ordering if it was spicy and was told "no." It was WAY too salty. My two companions ordered the NY strip (for $23 a plate). They received fatty rib eyes with some mystery sauce on it. When at the end of our meal we pointed out that the cut was in fact not NY strip our lovely waitress merely shrugged. She proceeded to stand at our table while we filled out our payment slip....awkward. she complained about having to go up and down the stairs the whole time and at the end spilled our cups everywhere. Its not that she was inexperienced-she just didn't care.

After spending ~ 70 at this place I can say I will not return...food not great and service was horrible. The facility is nice but not overly clean. Whomever invested in building this place needs to get better staff and FAST.

To add to the fun my husband had a stomach ache. The rest of the night :(

2 Thank Wvmountaineer33
Port Matilda, PA
“Quirky Restaurant at the End of the Road”
Reviewed September 24, 2012

It was nearing lunchtime when we spotted the signs on the highway for a Winery and Distillery Tour with a Restaurant. Following the signs, we drove down the 'Dead End' road.

As we approached the Winery, there were several fun and funky sculptures along the way. The road dead-ends at the winery, but that's where the fun begins!

For $6 (plus tax) you can sample their full range of wines -- two dessert wines (one red, one white) are in the making, but not yet available for sampling). You can sample up to four of the 'Shines for free.

After our tastings, we wandered upstairs for lunch. There is a nice selection on the menu, and you should be able to find something to suit your needs. While waiting, we enjoyed the farm-themed decor in the dining room - from tractor grill lights on the wall, to pitchfork seat backs, to tractor seated bar stools and even tractor seat, and tilling cog wall-art around the fireplace.) The bluegrass music playing on the large-screen television completed the atmosphere.

We started with Bacon Cheddar Muffins with a Beer Cheese Sauce. These were basically mini muffin tops. They were dense and delicious!

I opted for the Baked Macaroni and Cheese (three cheeses) served with crostini [I don't see the need to add bread to an already carb-heavy food, but who am I?]

My partner had the Homespun Slow Cooked Pork with a side of bacon slaw, and baked beans. The pork came with a side of white BBQ sauce. I had a bit without sauce, and it was quite delicious! The bacon-slaw is a basic coleslaw, but made with a bacon-dressing. Again, quite good.

For dessert we enjoyed Bourbon Bread Pudding. The menu didn't say so, but it came with two mini-scoops of vanilla bean ice cream. The pudding seemed to have been made from a pound-cake and not bread, as it was quite sweet.

We were disappointed when we arrived because on what looked like the maitre'd stand, there was a McDonald's wrapper and a half-finished iced-coffee. Whoops! Sloppy. :(

The biggest drawback was that our waiter (Cory -- an excellent server) seemed to be the only waiter for the entire establishment -- two upstairs rooms, and several outside pavilions. As we were waiting for our drinks, we observed a mini-bus full of senior citizens arrive for a tasting and lunch. [In addition to us, there was a group of 8 in the split dining room with us, so he was now the ONLY waiter for approximately 40 guests.]

While Cory was trying to take drink orders, we saw a father-son arrive, sit ... and eventually leave because poor Cory didn't get over to them within 5 minutes. As we were watching the taillights of the father's truck leave, a gal did go out, stand, spin in circles, and leave -- we believe she was looking for the couple that had just left. (But, that's just our conjecture).

• Visited September 2012
1 Thank ilively
Portland, Tennessee
“Adorable distillery and winery”
Reviewed September 15, 2012

Our tasting was intimate and informative. Loved the wines but the selection was limited to sweeter wines. Their moonshines and liquors were excellent. I wanted to buy one of each. We'll stop next time we drive by here and eat lunch because it smelt delicious.

Fairmont, West Virginia, United States
“Unique!”
Reviewed September 10, 2012

What a wonderful way to spend an evening. The Food, the entertainment, and the atmosphere were all excellent. The food was delicious and the prices were very reasonable. The corn crib dining room and the hand pump rail car are just some of the things that make dining here a unique experience. This was our first time here we will definitely be back.

• Visited September 2012