“Pretty good Cajun food”

Cuisines: American, Barbecue
Morgantown, West Virginia
“Pretty good Cajun food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 6, 2011

Beef's Backwoods Grill is a neat little place that my girlfriend and I were introduced to last year and have been to several times.

Beef's was formerly known as just Backwoods Grill but underwent a name and menu change several months ago.

Beef's menu is mostly centered on Cajun items, but there is a fair bit of American & Barbecue type items on it. One recent addition is the subs on the menu that are very good- they also have a "challenge" called the Big Beef which is a big sub filled with Italian beef, fried potatoes, onion straws, and horseradish blue cheese sauce. I tried it myself once and it's tough to take it all down!

I've enjoyed MOST of what I've had at Beef's. I like their "everything" burger that comes with chili, peppers and lots of other stuff on it.

I have had a few complaints though. Sometimes the food is not consistent. For example they do a basket of fries as an appetizer, with Old Bay seasoning. The only time I ever ordered these fries, the Old Bay was just dumped in the middle instead of being tossed with the fries. Also my girlfriend normally enjoys their lobster bisque but has noted that it has been a bit "off" the last few times we've been there, whether not tasting right or not even being hot when they brought it out.

Another oddity is the fact that when they changed from Backwoods Grill to Beef's Backwoods Grill, somehow the gumbo disappeared from the menu. I'm not sure why they got rid of it but I know my girlfriend was very disappointed because she loved it.

Also, sometimes service can be slow, but the place is often busy so that may be why.

Overall I enjoy this place and I enjoy going there- anyone who likes Cajun, this is one of the few choices in the area. Check it out!

• Visited March 2011