“A great place to stay”

Holiday Inn Express & Suites Fairmont
Ranked #4 of 11 Hotels in Fairmont
Reviewed February 20, 2014

Overall, a great place to stay especially with family. Indoor pool, gym, nice options for breakfast all add to the stay. The staff is great! Super friendly and helpful and everything is clean and well organized.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
Tammy M, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Fairmont, responded to this reviewResponded February 21, 2014

Thank you for taking time to let us know that you had an enjoyable stay while here with us. We do hope that you are able to visit us again in the future.

Reviewed January 18, 2014

Immaculate room, friendly and accommodating staff, user-friendly Wi-Fi and business center until the morning I checked out when there was a sign in the elevators stating that the company that services this facility's wi-fi was having "problems nationwide". Thank goodness I had printed my boarding pass the night before. I saw no one in the pool, so I am assuming it is still not in operation. Always guests in the fitness room, however.

This was my first time staying at a Holiday Inn Express. I was told the beds, bedding, and pillows were "to die for". They are! Heavenly! I chose this facility, though, because it doesn't allow smoking or dogs. I have health-related environmental sensitivities. The housekeeping staff, at my request, kept the room safe for me by not using anything with fragrances in it's cleaning immediately prior to, and during, my 9 day stay. I also appreciated having decaf coffee available 24-7.

Now, I really do need to make you aware, if you are not already, of a young man who works the front desk at this facility. His name is Patrick. Holiday Inn Express, keep this young man as long as you can!!!! I was in Fairmont, W.Va for my other's surgery. Every shift that he worked, he welcomed me back (tired and weary) like I was coming home, asking about her health and progress, my day with her, and offering me freshly brewed decaf coffee. I still get tears in my eyes when I think of the warmth AND efficiency of this young man. Your business is blessed by having him in your employ.

My only complaint about the facility is that the driveway and parking lot were icy the first three days I was there. An accident ready to happen! I would have given this review 5 stars, but for a town the size of Fairmont, W.Va, the rates of this property are really too high.

BTW, as per previous reviews, it can be very difficult to find this property. Take Kingmont exit.

Room Tip: Ask for top floor away from elevator and ice machine.
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled solo
Tammy M, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Fairmont, responded to this reviewResponded January 19, 2014

Thank you very much for such a wonderful review. The pool is back in operating order. We hope to keep Patrick for as long as we can. He is a wonderful asset to our staff and we are very happy to have him and his customer service skills are exceptional.
We do apologies for any inconvenience the wifi may have caused. This isn't anything we had control over unfortunately but our carrier did get it up and running as soon as they could.
We hope to see you again in the future.

Reviewed December 3, 2013

1 stars out of five, max, regardless of service. I can't conduct buisness here. I'm writing this review on the wifi features of my cell phone !! Also, the pool area has been out of service since October !!

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business
Tammy M, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Fairmont, responded to this reviewResponded December 5, 2013

I would like to take a moment to apologize for the slow internet and it dropping. To my knowledge we havent had any internet issues in the past few months. When and if you would experience problems with the internet if it is brought to our attention we can usually get the problem fixed fairly quickly. Unfortunately the pool has been down since October but all of the parts are in to get it up and running and if all goes well should be in working order by the end of next week.

Reviewed November 19, 2013

The staff was nice at the front desk when we arrived but very unprofessional. Joking and cutting up with other guests while we were waiting for assistance. When it was our turn, they were feverishly seaching for rooms to satisfy the reservation we had made days earlier. Rooms were clean, hotel was clean...they eventually came up with rooms for us to stay after calling the ones they thought should be empty to make sure there were no guests in them, but we still didn't receive the kind of rooms that we had reserved. Now that would be embarrassing...walking into a room and finding it occupied! Breakfast was ok...the automatic pancake machine was a hoot. While the hotel did make an impression, it leaned towards a poor one. People want what they reserve.

Room Tip: Confirm your rooms morning of your stay.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
Tammy M, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Fairmont, responded to this reviewResponded November 21, 2013

We would like to apologize for any inconvenience that occurred while you were here staying with us. This usually is not the practice of the hotel not being prepared for an arriving guest. We will take proper percausions and be sure that the entire staff is more aware of what is going on with all incoming guests. We do hope that if you are ever in the area you stay with us again.

Reviewed October 21, 2013

The hotel is modern and clean, and the first Holiday Inn Express I have booked this vacation because Fairmonts, Hamptons, and Best Western's have come in cheaper for the same spec of having breakfast and indoor pool, and no really adverse tripadvisor reports. I was interested in seeing how the $20 or so more expensive Holiday Inn would compare.

The feel is more upmarket, with more bathroom touches and better finish, and a quieter heating/cooling system. However on essentials, I would rate it above Best Western, but below Hampton and Fairmont on two important scores.

- Bedding: Pillows were good, but the sheeting and blanketing was skimpier than Best Western, and whatever was used as an underblanket was clammy.

- Breakfast: No cut fresh fruit, and no hot oat - very hard to find anything that would meet the needs of a gluten/dairy free diet. The worst of the chains in this respect. The hot egg/cheese omelette and bacon had been standing too long and I threw mine away as inedible.

We chose the hotel because of the great swimming pool, but unfortunately, the pool dehumidifier had a fault and the staff could not allow us to use it for health reasons. A tripadvisor report for a week earlier also notes the pool was closed. No discount was offered.

The hotel is sited on an east/west axis so that one side of the hotel faces due north. We were initially given a north side room, which we found very gloomy. The friendly front desk staff kindly switched us to a south facing room. (go for an odd numbered room). Although we ended up over the air-conditioners, they were quiet - might be different in the summer.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Tammy M, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Fairmont, responded to this reviewResponded October 23, 2013

Thank you for taking a moment to let us know about your stay. We are glad to here that we were able to get you a room facing the direction that best suit your needs. We would like to apologize for the inconvenience of the pool being closed and lack of fresh fruit and hot oatmeal on the breakfast bar. Unfortunately, bananas are the fresh fruit of Holiday Inn Express but we do have instant oatmeal.

Reviewed October 13, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here because it was a new option in the area we visit. It was certainly a better option than the others in the immediate area. On check-in, I'm going to sound picky, but it wasn't a $130/night experience. The front desk clerk had on a plain t-shirt and no name tag. I wouldn't have thought she worked there if she weren't behind the desk. One of the reasons we chose this hotel was for the pool - I had two 8-year-olds with me. The clerk said the pool would be closed during our stay for maintenance. I understand things like that happen, but a reduced rate would have been appreciated, since I'm sure luxuries like a pool are reflected in the rate. Other than that, our stay was good. Our bathroom had a strange mildew smell but otherwise everything was clean and comfortable. Breakfast was good and had several options. I would stay there again because the other hotels on that exit aren't great. It's overpriced for the experience, though.

Stayed: October 2013
1  Thank Rekico
Tammy M, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Fairmont, responded to this reviewResponded October 15, 2013

Thank you for letting us all know that you enjoyed your overall stay with us. We would like to apologize for the inconvenience of the pool being closed at the time of your stay. We do have dress down Friday with a dollar donation for adopt an angel at Christmas time in our area.
However, they should have a name tag so we will be sure to see that everyone gets a nametag.

Reviewed October 7, 2013

We wanted a stopover between our home in Baltimore MD and our first major destination in Bardstown KY. (We were beginning a 15-day circuit of ten states.) We chose Holiday Inn Express, but we couldn't find it on our GPS. The staff informed us that they were so new that BPS hadn't tracked them yet, and they suggested we come to the Crackerbarrel restaurant address, which was in front of them. The address worked!

We obviously weren't the first to learn of this new hotel; the parking lot was full when we arrived! But deservedly so! The bed was very comfortable, and the service provided both soft and firm pillows clearly marked (although my wife thought they felt the same!). I was impressed with the almost instant hot water and the earplugs provided for each guest.

The design of this Holiday Inn Express is quite novel. The dining area has windows looking out to both the pool and the exercise room to that both seem more inviting. This was a great start to our trip!

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank StillSteppinOut
Tammy M, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Fairmont, responded to this reviewResponded October 9, 2013

Thank you very much for letting us and all others know that you had a very enjoyable stay here with us. We do hope that you choose us again if your travels bring you back this way.