“Excellent experience”

Ranked #6 of 11 Hotels in Fairmont
Ft. Lauderdale
“Excellent experience”
Reviewed June 3, 2013

Since I was coming in from Florida for WVU's graduation, and am a choice member, this looked like the best option in the area.

I made a reservation, changed it later for different accommodations, and was told when it could be cancelled. Well, due various familial schedules, one room had to be cancelled, but when I called, I was told that it wasn't possible. Several phone calls later, Ronnie Shuman, the Front Office Manager allowed the cancellation.

When I walked in, he greeted me with the warmest affection and smile. He was so friendly, that we joked about being long, lost cousins. Even though another customer was quite rude and interrupted our conversation, he remained friendly and warm.

When we had difficulty finding our room (there is a "Harry Potter" hallway) Mr. Shuman can and assisted us, which is UNHEARD OF. What a gentleman.

Later, he suggested that the restaurant was the best option in town, and he was right. His sister, Amy, was our waitress, was equally as pleasant. The food was delicious and inexpensive.

Yes, the hotel needs updating, but the beds were extremely comfortable, the rooms pleasant, and the employees are FIVE STAR.

I have traveled worldwide, and while at the Clarion in Fairmont, I NEVER felt unsafe nor a need for different or additional security. I felt very safe and comfortable.

Overall, I was pleasantly pleased with the Clarion and Choice should give a HUGE raise to Ronnie Shuman for being SUCH an ambassador for the hotel.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the woods were beautiful to wake up to.
1 Thank Tracy C
JR B, General Manager at Clarion Inn, responded to this review, June 5, 2013
I wanted to take this time to Thank You for the outstanding review you posted about your experience at our hotel. We value each of our guest's comments and suggestions. Ronnie has been a huge asset to our hotel and his service and dedication shows through to each of our guest and associate.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
Duncan
Reviewed May 29, 2013

Clean comfortable rooms, wonderful beds," Blue ribbon" Fantastic Hot Breakfast, Full Menu dining, wonderful staff,will go out of there way to please their guest, so helpful and just a wonderful experience to stay at this Inn. Clarion has a lounge to relax in. The Air flow from the top of the mountain is just fantastic, the breeze, is so refreshing. it`s on it`s own, no thru traffic, you don`t have to worry about your vehicles while you rest. Simply the only place I would refer any person to stay while in the Fairmont W.v area, Impressive Rooms, clean and the smell is great when you enter the rooms,
Housekeeping deserves a huge Reward for doing a fine job with the rooms they maintain daily.

Clarion Inn, Wonderful Experience! And Relaxing Sleep in such Fantastic Bedding.

Room Tip: Any Room will be Fantastic!
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
JR B, General Manager at Clarion Inn, responded to this review, June 5, 2013
I wanted to take the time to Thank you for the positive comments you posted. Our staff takes great pride in the service they deliver. The hotel is truly postioned in a great location away from traffic and will give anyone a good night's rest. We have added numerous amenities such as the complimentary full hot breakfast, to accommodate each of our guests. Our ultimate goal is to see each of our guests leave happy. Again, thank you for the positive comments and we hope to see you again soon.
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed May 23, 2013

Stayed here recently as I was attending a graduation at WVU in Morgantown.

The hotel was pretty much what you would expect for a cheap, small hotel near the highway. The beds were actually quite nice and firm. The decor and bathroom fixtures were dated, but what do you expect in West Virginia. The TV worked and had HBO (I got to watch Game of Thrones, yeah!) but I never tried the wireless.

The only bad point was the free breakfast. There was one older woman clearing all of the tables, replacing all of the silverware, setting out the food, answering questions, etc. It wasn't her fault, but it was a madhouse, the coffee was not replenished and it took forever to get seated. Another hotel worker came into the room and tutted at this woman for not doing enough, but didn't lift a finger to help her before returning to reception.

All in all I'd stay here again if I was passing through, I doubt you'd find much better in the area.

Room Tip: I'd request a room not facing the parking lot, since the lights were shining into my room all ni...
Logan, West Virginia
Reviewed May 12, 2013

Average hotel apparently catering to gas field workers. All outside doors and the hotel lets the gas well guys sit outside the doors and drink. Not comfortable to families and women entering the buildng.

JR B, General Manager at Clarion Inn, responded to this review, May 14, 2013
I wanted to take the time to respond to the review you posted about our hotel security. I first want to apologize for the lack of security efforts on our part. One of our top priorities is the safety and security of our guests. It is strickly against our safety standards to allow any guest to gather near the entrance doors for a long extended period of time or to just hang out. We will do a better job in the future of monitoring these types of things to further insure guest safety in the future. Again, thank you for your feedback and we will actively do a better job of making sure this is not happening in the future.

Travelers are raving about these Fairmont hotels

Herndon, Virginia
Reviewed May 5, 2013

This hotel has a lot going for it, but I couldn't give it five stars. The staff was very friendly, more friendly than I normally encounter, from the front desk staff to the staffer responsible for the breakfast set up. Check-in was easy and quick and check-out was even easier and quicker. The room was spacious and clean with a comfortable king-size bed and pillows and nice colors. There was a refrigerator and coffee maker in the room, the internet was reliable and fast and the room was quiet. The free breakfast was great. The breakfast room had a lot of tables that were set up with real mugs, glasses and silverware and the buffet had real plates. There was an assortment of cold cereals, danish and breads with a toaster available as well as a set up to make your own waffle. The hot buffet included cheese omelets, bacon and potatoes. There was also juice, whole fruit, and yogurt. I think most people would find something they like and the food was available up until 10:00 am.

The main reason for four instead of five stars is the bathroom. It was small and out-dated with an old white laminate counter and odd set up so that the room felt small and crowded. There were water marks and a poorly done repair job in the ceiling. The wallpaper was starting to peel and the whole bathroom just felt old. The hallways felt dated too. With an updated bathroom, I probably would give the hotel five stars.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
JR B, General Manager at Clarion Inn, responded to this review, May 14, 2013
Thank you for the positive comments you made about the hotel staff and amenities we have to offer. The complimentary hot breakfast has become very popular with our hotel guests. The hotel staff truely does take great pride in the service we deliver to each of our guests. I also wanted to let you know that we do have plans to update our bathrooms with all new cabinetry and lighting to make the space larger and more comfortable. I hope you are able to visit us again in the future to see the updated product once completed. These types of comments are taken seriously and gives us an opportunity to make the necessary changes and renovations where needed. Again, thank you for being a valued guest and thank you for the review of our hotel.
Lancaster, Pennsylvania
Reviewed April 28, 2013

Comfortable rooms, but tiny bathroom, which needs updating as do the hallways. Awkward layout with first and second floors plus a midlevel at the far end. Restaurant, which also was breakfast area, and bar were much more than expected at such a property.

Room Tip: A room at the far end may be quieter but you'll have a long walk to the lobby and breakfast area...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
JR B, General Manager at Clarion Inn, responded to this review, May 1, 2013
I wanted to take the time to thank you for the review you posted. We take great pride in the service and features our hotel has to offer. We have several projects planned in the coming months, one of those plans is to update our guest bathrooms. We will be working with a contractor soon to plan the new layout and fixtures. We hope you will be able to visit with us in the future to see the finished product.
Petersburg, West Virginia
Reviewed December 30, 2012

I've stayed in many motels thru the years since the late 70's due to my work and U will not find a better, kinder staff, of people anywhere from the Manager to Housekeeping, etc. Always freindly and do anything for you with a smile. I was there Monday thru Thursday night for a little over a year and they made me fill like family from day "1". Food is good to. So if you are in the area and lookin for a place to stay, Check it out you'll find none better!!!!!!!!!

Room Tip: TAC in 205 quiet and overlooks pool.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled on business