“Staff was awesome but hotel not so much!”
Review of Clarion Inn

Clarion Inn
Ranked #6 of 11 Hotels in Fairmont
Denton, Texas
“Staff was awesome but hotel not so much!”
Reviewed May 12, 2012 via mobile

Stayed here because it was where my husbands company put us up. The staff was awesome. They were exceptionally friendly and very helpful. We had the room for 2 weeks. We left for the weekend but continued to keep the room. When we returned, there where bugs in the tub. I checked the bedding and found no bugs but between the mattress and box spring there was a lot of hair. Pretty gross. It is an older hotel and there was mold around the windows. For the price, there are better places to stay close by.

• Stayed May 2012
1 Thank FCompton

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
Herndon, Virginia
Reviewed May 3, 2012 via mobile

Who'd have thought something next to a highway would be so peaceful? A long steep driveway leads you up to a well-kept hotel. Our only complaint was a burnt out light bulb, which was replaced soon. (Meanwhile, every staff member we met while unloading the car assured us it was being attended to!) The server at the lounge was friendly and cheerful, and the large salads we ordered were delicious. The free, hot breakfast was good, too. The staff was uniformly polite and friendly.

Stayed April 2012
4 Thank kswk
Reviewed May 1, 2012 via mobile

I asked to see a room before I was going to pay over $100/night in what seemed like a very old, rundown hotel. Upon opening the door and turning on the light, there were bugs scattering in the bathroom. On that note, I didn't go further and left.

• Stayed November 2011
3 Thank FrickyK
JR B, General Manager at Clarion Inn, responded to this review, May 8, 2012
I want to take a moment to sincerely apologize for the negative experience you had at our hotel. On behalf of the management and staff, we wish your experience would have been much different so you would have been able to see the dedication our staff has for guest satisfaction and quality of service. We hope you would allow us another opportunity with your next visit to the Fairmont area.

Travelers are raving about these Fairmont hotels

Wurtland, Ky
Reviewed April 16, 2012

We stayed here for an AAU tourney. It is a large hotel and an older one. Check-in was smooth and the staff were friendly. Hot breakfast in the AM was better than average. Rooms were average and where older. For the price we paid I can't really complain. The drive way is a little steep getting up to the hotel. It is right off the interstate which was nice. Some fast food & gas stations resturants close by. I did try to call back to the hotel one morning to call my room and no one answered. I did this repeatedly until on the fourth or fifth try, someone finally picked up the phone at the front desk! Glad it was an emergency or I would have been in trouble!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank JamieWurtland_KY
Moundsville
Reviewed April 3, 2012

I was very impressed with my room at the Clarion. The room smelled so fresh like a lavender fragrence. The king
was very neat and tucked in tight. The bathroom was very clean. Towels smelled fresh. I had a chnace to meet
the lady over the Housekeeping Staff. She aked how my room was . I told her Very clean room. She said her
staff took pride in the work. You can tell. So I just want you Debbie over Housekeeping and her staff are
doing an awesome Job.
The other stall is also great.

Room Tip: First floor rooms close to the lobby.
3 Thank Debra K
Canton, Ohio
Reviewed March 23, 2012

Robin was a pleasure to talk to,was extremely helpful in keeping me infomed that my next appt. was in the lobby and ready whenever I was,directing them to where I was,she even brought me a cup of coffee when I asked for one,Robin went out her way to be helpful and I really appreceated it,and J.R.,you are alwas a pleasure to talk to,thank you for taking time out from your busy schedule to b.s. a little with me,Robin and you made my trip a pleasure, thank you for everthing. Sincerely, Dick Benedict

1 Thank Dick B
North Myrtle Beach, South Carolina
Reviewed March 17, 2012

I have been staying at this hotel for over 17 years, both as a Holiday Inn and then, as a Clarion. My frequency of stay is every other week for three (3) nights.

I stay at other hotels when I am in other areas. I know the difference between a well run hotel and a hotel that is not well run.

At the Clarion, Fairmont, WV I have great admiration for the staff that I encounter. I am continually impressed by Amy and Leah (Bar), Amy and Leah (Restaurant) and don't let me forget Amy and Leah (Room Service). Yes, when they are working, they are working all three of these services simultaneously. As a result, service in these areas is generally quite poor. I want to emphasize that the quality of service is not due to the extraordinary efforts I routinely see these ladies put forth. It is a result of inadequate staffing of the hotel.

Management does seem to try to help lighten the load for these ladies. They do so by not stocking the bar on a regular basis. It is common to come into the bar and find the the draft beer empty (sometimes all draft beers), common canned/bottled beers out of stock, wine out of stock and common call drinks out of stock.

The personnel at the front desk are courteous, helpful and genuinely caring. They are also knowledgeable and professional. These folks include, but are not necessarily limited to, Robin, Carmen, Robbie and Cindy.

The kitchen staff I have contact with (Olin, Paul and a wonderful older woman) routinely do great credit to a somewhat boring menu that I don't believe has changed in at least ten years.

Whether the above described are the result of management or ownership is not really important. What is important is service to guests does not seem a high priority.

3 Thank wbromaghim