“Hospitality is 1st in their book” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Book Direct and Save
Ranked #3 of 8 Hotels in Elkins
cumberland, md
“Hospitality is 1st in their book”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2014 via mobile

I had a blast at this hotel.i went with my lil girl who is 6.we got the king executive on the 3rd floor..The front desk was so nice when we checked in and every time we left to go out they greeted us goodbye and greeted us hello when we got back.always making sure we had everything we needed as well.the continental breakfast was very nice they have pancakes freshly made sausage gravy eggs bagels toast orange juice milk etc..it was nice the pool was indoors a Lil cold but it didn't stop us from swimming and on last night there we came back to hotel and for one desk asked If we wanted freshly baked cookies and fresh coffee we were down here visiting family so we weren't in hotel alot but the price was nice and you couldn't of got a cleaner nicer hotel

Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
ElkinsHIE, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Elkins, responded to this review, June 18, 2014
Thank you for your comments. I will be sure to pass along your comments to the rest of the staff. Thank you for staying with us.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2014

Was our first time staying at this hotel & won't be are last when we visit Elkins again! From the time we checked in until we checked out service was excellent & could have not asked for more! The rooms are very nice with a window view of downtown Elkins! In each room there is a refrigerator & microwave! The room we stayed in had 2 queen beds,desk with chair & bath room with complimentary soap,lotion etc...They have free breakfast every morning & it's not just cereal/doughnuts like other hotels but a very nice breakfast! They had pancakes,sausage links,cereal,yogurt,bagels,fruit, granola, a variety of breads/sweets & then coffee,milk & juice! The dining area where the breakfast was at was really nice on the first floor! They had nice tables & chairs set up to eat at! On the second day in the afternoon they had free fresh baked cookies that were delicious & of course my daughter loved the treat in the afternoon! They had a pool & a jacuzzi! My daughter loved swimming in the big pool & the jacuzzi too! Most hotel pools close early but not at this hotel, while we were there they were open till 11pm! They also had a fitness room which looked really nice but we
didn't use it! When we went down the first time to swim we forgot our key card to get into the pool & the staff member at the desk was nice & let us in so we didn't have to go back up to our room! The hotel is located in down town Elkins & close to stores,restaurants & Davis & Elkins College! If going to stay in Elkins I recommend you stay here! The staff was so nice & we had a great stay & couldn't have asked more from the hotel or the wonderful staff!

• Stayed May 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars
Thanks you so much for your review. What you mentioned is what we strive for. It is great to hear when we have accomplished our goal. Thank you again for your comments and for staying with us. We hope to see you again.
Detroit, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2014

Stayed 3 nights as part of a group tour and can say that the hotel is centrally located and public areas are clean and well maintained. Our room had some issues - the television in the sitting area would not turn on and the flushing mechanism on the toilet was very hard to operate, many times requiring lifting the lid to "fix" the problem. Also, while the hotel appears to be fairly new our bathroom had a recent repaint that was poorly done.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 stars
Thank you for your comments. Our goal is for you to have the most pleasant stay possible. Although we love to hear the thing we are doing well, it is important for us to hear the things we can do better on. Thank you for bringing these issues to our attention. We have ordered new parts for all the toilets and have reprogramed the TV in your room. Thank you for staying with us.
Altoona, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2014

This was the first time that I stayed at this hotel while in Elkins. It is conveniently located within walking distance of downtown, the American Mountain Theater and the train station. There is a large selection of items for the breakfast. One of the few hotels that I have been at that included turkey sausage as one of the items. There are a good number of channels offered on the televisions but the listing of channels is a bit out of date and some of the channels do not match. I would not hesitate to stay again.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled solo
    • 4 of 5 stars
Thank you for your comments. As you mentioned, Holiday Inn Express has added some healthy options to the breakfast. Thank you for bringing the TV listing to our attention. We will correct the issue immediately. Thank you for staying with us.
Erie, Pennsylvania
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2014

This is the second time I stayed at this hotel, the 1st with our grandson several years ago arriving only to find the pool was closed for maintenance. We cut our 3 day stay short & moved to another hotel, at that time they did offer a small reduction in room rates. Our latest trip was made with my elderly mother-in-law with a planned 2 night stay, 2 rooms booked through Expedia. With several years under her belt the rooms were showing some wear & tear but clean & well kept as I would expect. However, we were greeted with a 4 AM wakeup call from the smoke detector in our room, I went to the front desk & they gave me a different battery, no luck so I pulled the plug on it til morning. Unfortunately, my elderly in-law experienced some difficulty that evening forced us to cut our stay short. I was told this would be no problem & we could have a late checkout. Later when checking out I dealt with a young man (not sure of his name but the GM was in the office within earshot) who informed me that I would be charged with the room since it was booked through Expedia & it was not their problem, I would have to deal with Expedia. He was extremely rude & I countered that what about the fact we were awakened at 4 AM by the smoke detector in our room, his response not their fault it was the battery. Bottom line, 4AM smoke alarm beep beep every 12 seconds that most people wouldn't even know how to deal with, a rude dude at the front desk, who did nothing & to add insult to injury the breakfast totally sucked. I was disappointed in the GM who allowed his employee to treat one of his guests in such a manner but the verdict is out whether he will back me up as he claimed to get credit for 2 rooms stay that we never received. Doubtful I'll be choosing Holiday Inn Express Elkins any time soon.

Room Tip: Shop around & deal direct with hotel, not excuse then.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 stars
ElkinsHIE, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Elkins, responded to this review, May 20, 2014
Thank you for taking time to review our hotel. I am the General Manager and unfortunately I was not at the hotel at the time of the incident. I apologize for the smoke detector's battery dying during the middle of the night. We check them monthly and have a scheduled maintenance program in place as mandated by IHG to try to avoid situations like yours.

I am afraid there was a misunderstanding between your correspondence with the Front Desk Associate. The problem is that the room was booked through Expedia and needed changed. Expedia booked a pre-paid room with a cancelation penalty of the room and tax. As we stated, we would not charge Expedia for the second night but you need to talk to Expedia to get a credit since Expedia is the one that charged you. This may be why you felt that the Front Desk Agent was rude but due to contractual obligations on a corporate level, those are the steps to follow in order to receive a refund for the unused nights. I hope this clarifies the issue and that you don't hold it against the Front Desk Agent. He went beyond in allowing the contractual obligations between you, Expedia and us to be altered in order to be fair to you. I encourage you read the "fine print" of travel agencies booking discounted rates, or book directly through Holiday Inn Express. This will alleviate some issues in the future. I hope your mother-in-law is doing better. Thank you for staying with us.
Hurricane, West Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2014

Hotel is in a convenient location. Walking distance to most local attractions like the train yard, town shopping and American Mountain Theater. Beds were comfy, room was well maintained and clean. Pool area was nice. Nice breakfast (pancakes, cinn rolls, cereal, eggs, sausage, gravy, biscuits, etc). Only neg was that there was a 12% "Bed/Room occupancy tax" in addition to the state tax that the girl at the front desk could not give me an explanation for. Kinda made me wonder if HIE isn't tacking their own little extra fee on there since the girl could not give me an answer.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars
Thank you for your review. I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay. As for the tax, 6% is a state tax and the other 6% is a bed and occupancy tax for a total of 12%. Those are state and city taxes. Unfortunately we have no control over those taxes. I hope that answers your question. Thank you for staying and we hope you stay with us again.
Walden, Tenn
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2014

The HIE in Elkins is located downtown adjacent to their theater and railroad attractions but also within walking distance of everything worth walking to in this little oasis in the Wilderness of Wild, Wonderful West Virginia. The service is good, facilities in top shape and accommodations up to snuff for the HIE flag. I don't know if an HIE can ever really warrant five stars but this is a fine speciman of this brand of hotel. Book with confidence

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars
ElkinsHIE, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Elkins, responded to this review, May 7, 2014
Thank you for your comments. I think your review is spot on. The brand of Holiday Inn Express is not your world class high end hotel chain but if you want a nice, clean comfortable hotel room with a great breakfast and pool and hot tub, we provide that with excellent service. Thank you for staying with us and for your review.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Elkins
Hampton Inn Elkins
#5 of 8 in Elkins
3.5 of 5 stars 31 reviews
Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Buckhannon
Bicentennial Inn, Home of 88 Restaurant and Lounge

Been to Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Elkins? Share your experiences!