“Storm of June 29,2012 power outage”

Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Elkins
Ranked #3 of 8 Hotels in Elkins
Reviewed July 1, 2012

Just wanted to say how great Bill was the morining after the storm knocked out all the power in Elkins, Wva. Bill is the desk clerk on day shift and he took it on his own to bring his camper to the hotel and he was able to use his camper to heat water so everyone could have coffee and tea to drink. Also had gravy and biscuits. Sure was great since there was nothing else availabe anywhere for us to eat or drink. Didn't get the names of the other guys that worked there but they were all great and took great care of the guests. Holiday Inn should be proud!!

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
Management response:Responded July 3, 2012

Thank you for your review and we do take pride here. To illustrate, there were three employees that came into the hotel, without even being asked, to see if they could help. It is good to know that even when I was a couple of hours away in a town with electricity getting supplies, there was a staff that was focused on providing the guests with the best stay under the conditions. Thank you for staying and your patience and understanding during those unusual circumstances.

Reviewed June 13, 2012

Big indoor pool but it was cold. Only one block from the train depot for the Tygart Flyer. Front desk did not welcome me as a priority rewards guest. He was too busy with girlfriend in the lobby. Room was clean though and good downtown location

• Stayed: June 2012
Reviewed May 21, 2012

We were in Elkins for my son's graduation from Davis & Elkins College on May 13, Mother's Day. The hotel was sold out so the elevator was a bit slow and the breakfast a bit crowded but overall the stay met our expectations.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
ElkinsHIE, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Elkins, responded to this reviewResponded May 23, 2012

Thank you for your comments. In addition to having a clean and comfortable facility, we are conveniently located in downtown Elkins within walking distance to several restaurants and forms of entertainment.

Reviewed April 14, 2012

I travel to the Elkins area on a regular basis, and still recall the days until the Holiday Inn Express and Hampton Inn opened in town - the selection of lodging was truly horrible. While Holiday Inn Express is never a five star hotel, for the price it is a great value. Most importantly, the HIE in Elkins is staffed by truly nice folks who always do their best to make your stay enjoyable. I highly reccomend the Holiday Inn Express for those traveling through the area

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled on business

Thanks for your review. We the reliability of the great brand of Holiday Inn Express in combination with our small town hospitality, we provide a great product with a personal touch. Thanks again.

Reviewed January 21, 2012

This is like most other Hiliday Inn Express hotels but the rooms are a bit larger and so is the Breakfast Buffet area. The hotel is within a short walking distance from the Train depot, the Music Theatre and Restaurants in town. It was a very pleasant experience after the winding roads of West Virginia to get there.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 28, 2011

We sometimes travel with my mother who walks with a cane and suffers from a movement impairing condition. When we travel with her I always call the hotel directly to make reservations to see if they can accommodate our special needs for 2 rooms: a handicapped accessible room near an exit/entrance on the 1st floor or near the elevator on a higher floor WITH a King bed room next door or across the hall. I made such a call to arrange this reservation and spoke with Mike the night auditor. He was new to the reservation system and was very kind with me about making sure I got the handicapped room on the first floor near the breakfast room and the King room next door assigned to me and even gave me the room numbers. He said he would check with the day staff and make sure he had done everything correctly and would call me back in the morning if there was a problem. I received no phone call and did receive my emailed confirmation numbers as promised.

We arrived at the hotel fairly early (5:30pm-ish) all set for an easy check in and a close walk for my mother to get to her room. Jared greeted me and was most kind and welcoming but when we confirmed the room numbers he had me in the correct handicapped room, but the second room was at the opposite end of the floor. NOT a good situation and NOT what I had been promised. After explaining that I had called the hotel directly to make these reservations specifically AND that I had been told I would get a call back if there was a problem AND that I was now an extremely unhappy Priority Club member, Jared very graciously began to look over his floor plans to try to accommodate our needs. I was fully prepared to go elsewhere under the circumstances.

After a few attempts to reconcile any handicapped room with King bed room nearby, Jared offered to upgrade us to the handicapped King Suite on the second floor with a King suite across the hall for the same price as the rooms we had reserved, The catch was they were a further walk from the elevator than I would have preferred. A quick assessment of the priority of needs led me to accept his offer and I felt satisfied he had done his best to accommodate us under the circumstances although I still did not understand why the King room "was not available".

The rooms themselves (although a bit of a hike for my mother) were lovely. We were able to enjoy the sitting area of her room and have cocktails and some cheese and crackers before dinner and it was like being in a living room. She was happy with the placement of the lower coat rack and lower counters to accommodate someone in a wheelchair which also accommodate her bad shoulders. The grab bars in the bathroom are always a plus.

The next morning I wanted to let the day manager, Michael, know how much we appreciated the upgrade and that Jared had worked hard to make us happy. I explained what had happened at check in and that was when I learned the originally promised King room had been taken off-line for a maintenance issue. Frankly that would have been useful information the night before rather than allowing me to think the staff had just ignored my request and put someone else in the room. Michael apologized again and I said there was no need - Jared had handled it and I was only letting him know about the fact that we were happy with the outcome. Michael insisted that he make it "righter" and discounted our rooms even further, refusing to take my instance that it was not necessary for an answer. I was very impressed. I thanked him for working on Thanksgiving and he impressed me again when he said he had volunteered because most of the rest of the staff had families they "should be home with". What a wonderful, thoughtful man!

The complimentary breakfast was good - the food fresh and replaced appropriately. The coffee got low quickly as the breakfast room got slammed in the check-out rush and there was a short wait while new brewed, but nothing out of the ordinary.

The beds we comfortable, the pillows and towels plentiful, the water pressure good, and the cleanliness of rooms and public areas were well above par. Although we did not use the pool I noted the pool hours were much better than many -- open both early and late to accommodate over night travelers not just people who stay for a few days.

We did have a bot of a creepy feeling pulling into the parking lot in the dark before much of anyone else had checked in. I have since found out that the hotel is built in an area that used to be old rail yards which may account for a bit of the odd sensation. It was however convenient to the theater across the street and to one of the most engaging and lovely restaurants this traveler had had the opportunity to sample - we had dinner at El Gran Sabor (a Venezuelan! restaurant) and it was a REAL treat! Have what the owner recommends and enjoy the jazz in the bar after dinner. Check my separate review for more on that!

All in all this location turned out to be a wonderful stop-over for the night before Thanksgiving. Every staff person we had contact with was gracious and kind and did their best to accommodate our needs. We would stay here again if we are in the area. Good value for the price!

Room Tip: The second floor suites are really nice - roomy and comfortable. I would choose the back of the buil...
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank Etoile_of_NE_Ohio
ElkinsHIE, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Elkins, responded to this reviewResponded November 30, 2011

Thank you for your comments. I am sorry to hear that there was a situation to begin with but I am glad that the staff here worked hard to correct it. If there is a problem with a stay, I want every guest to feel comfortable to come see us so we can make it right instead of just dealing with it. No one should just have to deal with it. This is your “home” for the night.
It is wonderful to hear things went well but we do like to hear on areas where we can improve. We are always working hard to treat each person like an individual and make each person's stay the best. Thank you so much and come see us again in beautiful Elkins, West Virginia.

Reviewed November 1, 2011

The best place to stay for a ride on Durbin & Greenbrier Railroad but book early, they fill up fast. The staff was exceptionally friendly. What we liked best was the location. It is in downtown Elkins and within walking distance to good places to eat and the railroad.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple

Thank you for your comments. Excellent advice is booking early. The summer and fall are our peak times. For rooms in September and October, you may have to book a month or so in advance. In addition to our convenient location to the American Mountain Theater and Train Station, our complimentary breakfast and pool and hot tub make it difficult to get a room during the busy time. Book early and we are glad you made it in.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Elkins
Hampton Inn Elkins
Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Buckhannon
Hampton Inn Buckhannon
Hampton Inn Buckhannon
#2 of 7 in Buckhannon

Been to Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Elkins? Share your experiences!