“Great hopes, poor delivery”

Western Steer Family Steakhouse
Ranked #33 of 52 Restaurants in Elkins
Cuisines: American
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
“Great hopes, poor delivery”
Reviewed July 27, 2013

We went into the Steer Steakhouse hoping for a great meal. I order the filet, extra charge. It was the saltiest piece of meat I have ever had. When the server asked if everything was OK and I expressed my dissatisfaction, her response was, "Oh!'. and that was it. Only the salad bar was acceptable.

• Visited July 2013
2 Thank Jerry H

buffalo
“Nice Surprise”
Reviewed July 21, 2013

What a nice change of pace for a buffett. Always looking for a decent restaurant while on business that won't break the bank. I drove by the Western Steer a few times and finally pulled in. They offer not only a buffett but also a regular menu. It's a bit like a Ponderosa. I chose the buffett. It was nicely stocked. Salads were presented well, the food offered were steaks, chicken (both fried and baked) numerous veggies, hamburgers, mac and cheese, fries, potatoes ... you get the gist. One of the items that caught my eye were 'pigs in blankets' the cocktail hotdogs wrapped in crescent rolls. Well let me tell you, they were absolutely terrific. That along with their macaroni salad were what I kept going back for. The deserts are very nicely packaged and displayed; not a mess like most buffets. The wait staff was attentive to the needs of refills and clearing tables.

• Visited July 2013
1 Thank bcf4972
Oceana
“Great Steak House”
Reviewed July 20, 2013

The food at this establishment is great. The buffet was good. they had great salad bar, Food bar, and Dessert Bar. The price was well worth what we paid. I ordered the Beef tips. They were cooked to my taste. The baked potato was nice and hot.

Visited July 2013
1 Thank Mary N
North Carolina
“Like walking back in time!”
Reviewed July 17, 2013

It has been many years since our local Western Steer closed. Walking in this restaurant took us back in time, we have missed it. The food was as awesome as we remembered. The variety of choices, quality, and taste was excellent. Unlike other chains, you still have the option to order a dinner or eat from the buffet. Our waitress was also very good. If we ever get back to Elkins, WV the Western Steer will be the top of our list for a meal.

Visited June 2013
Napoleon, Ohio
“Sunday brunch after church”
Reviewed June 12, 2013

Easy to find. Buffet is about 10.00 with beverage. Pretty good selection. Salad fresh. Good parking. 2dining areas. Waitress had to be reminded to freshen our drinks. Not to crowded which was good because we were sitting in a booth next to windows. Thought this was good til a/c kicked on and about froze us. Nice dessert selection with cookies, cake brownies and ice cream.

• Visited June 2013