“DISGRUNTLED”

Elkins Inn & Suites
Ranked #7 of 8 Hotels in Elkins

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Annandale
Reviewed June 11, 2013

It was a nice peaceful stay for two nights at the Elkins Days Inn; I had stayed there on many previous visits back to Elkins, my hometown. Service was good, didn't have any extra requirements...overall the room and service were good, For the ratings below, I did not awaken for the breakfasts.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo

Valley Grove
Reviewed June 3, 2013

The stay was pretty bad. The room was an interior room with no outside windows. There was no way to control the room temperature and it was very stuffy. The continental breakfast was horrible. It was limited to bagels, mini muffins, juice and coffiee.

Kingsport
Reviewed June 1, 2013

We have stayed at this motel a number of times in the past, but the quality of the motel has diminished and we will seek another place to stay the next time we visit this area.

Madison, West Virginia
Reviewed May 25, 2013

While my husband and I explored the back roads of West Virginia, we happened to end up in downtown Elkins, WV where we were ready to stop for the night. The only hotel in sight was the Days Inn and we didn't know the area so we parked and my husband went in to register. The hotel was very large and old, so we didn't expect to pay very much.

My husband came out to tell me that the price was about $100 a night, but I was tired so I told him to book the room. He came back to the car after registering and as we were exiting the car, several people came out in a group and was complaining about their room. We asked them if it was bad and they said it was over priced and should be $30 instead of $100 a night.

As we entered the very large lobby, it had a strange assortment of furniture and features including a grand piano that had a sign that read "for display only," a water feature, plants, a kitchen table and 6 chairs with rollers on a dirty 8 X 10 rug. On the side of the lobby was an antique and gift shop where we later looked at the odd assortment of items.

The lady at the desk was an older woman that was very friendly and laughed a lot. She told us that a light breakfast was provided, but she encouraged us to go to the restaurant in the back for breakfast for a price. As we were wandering the halls to find our room, we found that the first floor had doctors offices which we found a little strange. The hallways were extremely wide, the elevator was huge, the doors were wide and there were many rooms. There wasn't six cars on the parking lot and we only saw one other guest. It was all very surreal.

When we at last found our room, we found it extremely small. There was two quarter size beds with one bed almost up against a sink. A person could lay in the bed and wash their hands. The other bed was against the air conditioner/heating unit on the wall which was old and extremely noisy. I told my husband that the place was really weird.

When I walked into the bathroom, saw the funky lilac tiles, the industrial toilet with major flushing handle, hand rails and walk in shower with hand rails, I told my husband that the bathroom was just like a hospital's bathroom. I wasn't surprised to read from other people's reviews that it's a converted hospital.

When we went to the lobby and talked to the lady at the desk about our small room, she just laughed and said for a higher price we could have gotten a better room. We spent the night in the small room where the beds were very hard and every time we flushed the toilet it was like a bomb going off. The shower was large enough for 4 people, but the water was hot so that was a plus.

The wifi was very slow in the room. The night was very quiet since there were very few people staying there.

The next morning we ate the light breakfast of bagels and muffins before checking out. We asked for ice for our ice chest and the young man at reception filled it for us from somewhere in the back.

I'm sorry to say I cannot recommend this hotel and would not chose to stay there again. It is over priced and has a very surreal feeling about the entire hotel. We did not look for other hotels in the local area because the Days Inn hotels tend to be of good quality. In this case, we felt the hotel should be renamed Daze Inn. We were very disappointed.

Rural Retreat, Virginia
Reviewed May 25, 2013 via mobile

I had a reservation and was getting ready to check in when this couple was in front of me asking for a refund. As I overheard their complaints, I began to get very worried. When it was my time to check in, I asked to look at the room first. The rooms are very small and the bathroom have stand up showers only. The whole place felt creepy! I did not stay here and there was no way I was going to!

• Stayed May 2013
Also consider these accommodations in or near Elkins
Isaac Jackson Hotel
Iron Road Inn
#5 of 8 in Elkins
Bicentennial Inn, Home of 88 Restaurant and Lounge
Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Buckhannon

Been to Elkins Inn & Suites? Share your experiences!