“Very bizarre”

Elkins Inn & Suites
Ranked #7 of 8 Hotels in Elkins
Reviewed September 10, 2012

After traveling all day and we were ready to crash.

Wish I had time to read reviews. Did not know it was former hospital.

Most uncomfortable bed and make constant noise with any movement. Don't try and roll over you will wake the dead. Had to get ice from front desk and had to wait to shower because they did not have washcloths in room.

Would not recommend to worst enemy.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Elkins Inn & Suites

Reviewed September 9, 2012

We stayed there in late spring. It was hot but the A/C system had not been "turned on for the season" yet in the hotel. Really? Had to move to the rear of the building so we could open a window without being subjected to the loud streeet noise and they did provided a fan. If they had mentioned that there was no A/C I would never have checked in. Being surprised at 11pm is just lousy customer service. Will not stay there again.

Room Tip: Rooms in back are quieter front is very loud, close to street
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed July 16, 2012

Yes, the hotel is a converted hospital, which is bizarre. Just like you get no sleep in a hospital, you will not actually "sleep" here either. There is no insulation in the rooms, so you hear every conversation and every bathroom door on the floor slam shut. We checked out after one night and moved to the (more expensive) Holiday inn, where we slept like babies.

I will say that I didn't have to fight to pay for one night's stay only--the front desk staff took care of that. Clearly, they are used to early checkouts.

Not worth it..

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Erin B
Reviewed July 8, 2012

The room was nice and large for the money. Two room suite. The paint on the bathroom ceiling was peeling. Only a shower (no tub).
Only the fan speed on the AC/Heat can be controlled from the room. Temp setting was good though.
The hotel appears to have been a hospital in its previous life. There are still doctors offices on the first floor.
The bed was very firm, almost to the point of being hard.
It would be a nice room for a family, but not worthy of a second stay by me.
It was not easy to find and directional signage was poor.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed June 5, 2012

My husband and I got a suite here at the last minute. The frist one the booked us in had a queen size bed. My husbanad called the front desk and asked if there wre any suites with a king bed. There was and we got settled. I like sleeping in a very cool room, so there was no trouble there. We went out to a grocery store to pick up a couple of food items (we were not going to make the free breakfast in time) and were delighted that the fridge was already cool.
The interesting part about this hotel were the different dr.'s offices that were located in the same building.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank gpigmom
Reviewed June 2, 2012

I booked this room because of the price. For a king size jacuzzi suite it couldn't be beat. After arriving I see why the price was so good. You can definitely tell that the "hotel" used to be an old hospital. The doctor offices and other business in the "hotel" were definitely unusal. The heating/cooling was less than adequate. The only register vent was in the sitting room part of the suite and nothing in the bedroom or bath except a heat lamp in the ceiling. The jacuzzi was very nice, but that's about it. Our next trip, we will definitely stay in another hotel. I wish I would have read the reviews before I booked my room; lesson learned.

Room Tip: Make sure your room has a window. Thankfully ours did, but some of the rooms are interior rooms wit...
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Michelle G
Reviewed April 23, 2012

We couldn't find a room anywhere else..so we stayed here. Thank goodness I did not know the history of the building being a hospital prior to our stay. We realized this as we were leaving and couldn't help but question why the doors, elevator were so big (gurney size). The rooms would only require an IV drip beside the bed and it would still look like a hospital room. And like previous reviews stated..there is not any air conditioning...unless you count the floor fan placed at the end of the bed. Wallpaper is from the "hospital days". Want to know the creepiest part of my stay? After reporting to my mother where we stayed, she told me "Oh that is where your great Uncle HT died"....now, I'm wanting to research on which room.

Room Tip: No AC..so rooms with a window will help "a little" IF YOU HAVE TO STAY HERE!!!
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Elkins
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Elkins
Iron Road Inn
#5 of 8 in Elkins
Canaan Valley Resort
Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Buckhannon

Been to Elkins Inn & Suites? Share your experiences!