“Best Summer ever!”

Dolly Sods Wilderness Area
Ranked #3 of 16 things to do in Elkins
More attraction details
Owner description: Located in the Monongahela National Forest, this 10,215-acre area is one of the few wilderness areas on the East Coast.
Washington DC, District of Columbia
50 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 21 helpful votes
“Best Summer ever!”
Reviewed September 10, 2013

I have been super busy this summer backpacking to Dolly Sods and I can tell you that it has been a fantastic summer. The place is amazing and it offers all the kind of things you will enjoy if you are a nature person. From platoons, to dense forest, to rivers and creeks, to overlooks and to very well situated campsites. If you are not a backpacking person you still can do car camping or stay in the cabin and from there do day hikes to some of the most enjoyable places. This area is part of the Monongahela National Forest and I don't have words enough to describe how beautiful it is. It is a trip to clean your mind and to bond with nature.

Brooklyn, New York
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 22 helpful votes
“Amazing, muddy terrain and vegetation”
Reviewed August 25, 2013

This was an awesome place to explore. We took a 13-mile hike through areas near Bear Rocks, and loved all of the blueberry and blackberry bushes that we encountered, as well as the quiet, otherworldly experience of tromping through a swamp-like terrain atop a ridgeline. The views weren't as stunning as we had hoped, but because there were vast plateaus, we could go for longer distances without tiring from climbing inclines. I HIGHLY recommend a visit to Dolly Sods - but bring shoes and wear clothes that can get very very muddy!

2 Thank JTK20132013
Pennsylvania
262 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 240 helpful votes
“one of my favorite spots anywhere”
Reviewed August 20, 2013

the other reviews are correct, the roads in and out are dicey. and there are no bathrooms. but the view is incredible. the story of this place is told at the Seneca rocks visitor center, it is sad that it is so barren due to greed, but it does make it unique and beautiful. when we were there is july is was 95 degrees in the valley and 78 with a stiff wind at bear rocks. i'm indifferent on the hiking, id love to camp there but im not thrilled with the total rustic experience. but bear rocks is a cant miss, especially on a clear day. you can see for miles and miles and miles. there is no fee for this area. I prefer to use the northern entrance and go right to bear rocks rather than bounce around on the mountain top, but you may enjoy the loop drive.

Visited July 2013
1 Thank Jonathan K
Charles Town, West Virginia
33 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 41 helpful votes
“Gorgeous”
Reviewed August 18, 2013 via mobile

I am embarrassed to say I grew up 45 minutes from Dolly Sods and had not hiked it until his weekend. Sometimes it is easy to take for granted what is in your back yard. Dolly Sods is truly a natural wonder. I can't comment on camping, but if you are looking for a true walk/hike in nature this is it. It is absolutely beautiful and only about 3 hours from the DC area.

2 Thank AttentiveGadabout
Millington, Tennessee
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“Wow”
Reviewed July 31, 2013

I was completely unaware of this place until I was staying in the area earlier this week. It's a bit of a tricky drive up and down the mountain- mostly gravel and dirt roads and I certainly would not recommend it on bad weather days. However, on a dry day, it is well worth it. Pristine natural beauty, stunning views and a great variety of hiking trails throughout the area. Very few people there when I went and it was a nice day. Be sure to take warm clothing with you as it can get quite chilly at the top. I wish I had more time to explore it even more, but I definitely want to go back and spend some time there, even camp up there. It's free and fascinating.

Visited July 2013