“Charming Site, Poor Service, So-so Food”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Elkins
Graceland Inn & Conference Center
Ranked #6 of 8 Elkins B&B and Inns
Florida
“Charming Site, Poor Service, So-so Food”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 23, 2011

As an alumna of Davis & Elkins College, I was delighted that the Graceland [old mansion from the 1890s] has been restored and is now an inn and a restaurant. Returning to the area with a friend, we tried the Graceland one afternoon for lunch and the next day for dinner. The setting is lovely, particularly if the weather is fine and you can dine on the veranda. The service is slow -- we waited nearly half an hour for our check once done dining; the waiter could not answer any questions we had on the menu, but had to go back to the chef each time. At lunch we had a crabmeat appetizer, which while filled with crabmeat, looked like tuna salad and was bland, and a chicken salad, which was only chicken, mayo, and a bit of celery, very bland. The presentation of food was well-done. For dinner, the macaronni and cheese was not creamy, the green beans were underdone and tasteless. the red pepper sauce on the crab cake was good, as was the homemade berry pie. It is my understanding that there is a new management,so we're hoping things tur around for the better.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends
3 Thank disheveledprofessor

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Charleston, West Virginia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 4, 2010

This hotel is the laboratory for hotel-management students at Davis & Elkins College. The program must not be very good, because the student staff, while often cute as buttons, have no idea of service. There are two buildings: the 1890s-era Graceland Mansion, which is likely worth a stay because of its historic beauty, and the 1970s-era Conference Center, a small dorm-like building with extremely minimal amenities. The rooms are clean but the walls are cinder block and the feeling is college dorm all the way. Parking is very limited. Security is poor: the Conference Center room keys are misnumbered and no one seems to care. If you need to spend the night in Elkins, try for a room in the Mansion. If none are available, definitely go elsewhere -- the town is quite small anyway.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled on business
4 Thank Soundman_10
Cambridge, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 10, 2010

I had high hopes of Graceland Inn after visiting its website,but reality did not meet expectations.

Certainly it is an elegant historic building, and much is made of this (1890s? =positively modern for me!!) but so much more could be achieved here. I had no problem with the reception staff, they were friendly enough, though not particularly efficient, but the room was a little disappointing. The suite was very spacious with large furniture, but, boy was it cold! The sitting room was so chilly we only used it for storing our cases, and the bathroom wasn't exactly cosy. Fiddling with the heating controls seemed to make no difference.

I would have liked easier access to early morning coffee, and rather "jollier" communal areas and amenties (books games etc...did find a tired old Monopoly set in the billiard room)

We ate in the restaurant one night and the food and service were very good, but the main reason for my low assessment was the breakfast. This was a very poor experience - the worst in my recent 16 nights in USA..

We happened to coincide with the Forest Festival which seems to be the highlight of Elkins social calendar. Each morning when we came down for breakfast, the area was crowded with festival folk milling around. On the first morning Woodley the Elf's entourage left very meagre offerings on the breakfast buffet which wasn't replenished, but on the second morning I encountered the rudest breakfast attendant ever. It seemed reasonable(to me) to have breakfast where I had had it the morning before, and eaten the previous evening - indeed there was nothing to indicate otherwise, and my husband had already put his things at a a vacant table. When I went to join him, this stroppy woman stopped me and said you can't go there! I was abit taken aback, and looked at her....and she eventually said - you're not with the Festival are you? (did I look like an elf!) you've got to go over there....(indicating another room)

Sorry...but as a paying guest I don't particularly like being ordered about, and told I've got to do anything. A simple notice would have sufficed, a civil explanantion too, but such rudeness - no. Left a bad feeling about the whole place

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
4 Thank SmokeysMum
Olney, Maryland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 22, 2010

I stayed here with my daughter when we came to the college for a visit. We stayed in the Conference Center.

On the plus side, the room and the facility were spotless, and that is the most important thing in a hotel. All of the basics were covered. I would basically equate the room we had to one that you might find in a nice 1 star or 2 star hotel. The room we had was very basic - standard hotel grade furnishings and linens. There were two horrible pillows on the bed and no extras in the room. There was a strange little alcove in the room that housed the armoire. The only other thing in the alcove was the heating/air-conditioning unit. This led to a problem because the cool air stayed in the alcove and shut the unit off without cooling off the rest of the room. Luckily for us, the nights were very cool, so the room cooled off late in the evening.

There is no coffee service in the room or in the conference center. We had to go over to the main inn to get coffee in the morning.

The only truly bad experience that we had was with the front-desk attendant when we first arrived. She acted as though we were bothering her. She handed us the keys and told us that breakfast would be served between 7 and 9 the next morning. Then she started to walk away. I stopped her to ask where we were supposed to go, as it was dark outside. She told me that we just go out the front door and go to the left. Then she started to walk away again. I stopped her again and told her that our car was right out front, and I needed to know where to park it. She told me to go out the lot to left, and I would see the parking area to the left. I had to stop her one more time to clarify that I knew what she meant. At this point, she acted very agitated. Therefore, I assumed that it must be very easy to find. We got in our car and drove to the left and found a parking area surrounded by very steep hills covered with trees. Through the trees, we could barely make out the image of a building, but we weren't sure that it was the conference center. There were no signs to be found and lighting was not that good. We found a path and decided to follow it up a steep hill with our bags in our hands. As it turns out, there was another parking lot at the top of steep gravel driveway. Then we approached a big brick building with no signs as to where to enter. There were some locked doors, but we continued around the building until we found a door that was open. Then we wandered around the basement level of the building until we stumbled upon an elevator. We took it up to third floor, and were happy to find our room. All of this could have been made much easier if the front desk attendant had bothered to give us the information that we needed.

We wandered around the main inn the next day, and it is absolutely gorgeous. If we visit again, I will make sure that we get a room in the inn. I think that it may be a very different experience.

Due to the fact that all of the basics were covered very well, I would definitely stay here again. However, the place has a long way to go to be a true destination.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank derijr
Richmond, Virginia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 4, 2010

rude from the very beginning... they will give the keys of your room to perfect strangers... tell them it is their room.... and u will never know about it.... at least that is what happened to me when my son and i were exhausted and unloaded the car after a long trip... entered our room only to find the possessions of someone else all over the room... i called the front desk, and the lady at the desk never apologized, instead, she acted annoyed by the fact i was calling her about the incident( nevermind the uncomfortable feeling of sitting inside someone else's room) she said i would have to come get the other key, and that it was a simple easy mistake to make, as if it happens all the time, she never apologized, and didn't help us with our luggage... it was terrible service, no matter how beautiful the scenery,,, or delicious the food,... the people at the front desk have never heard of customer first service in their life.... it is quite disappointing...

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
6 Thank hellohellohello055
Morgantown, West Virginia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 22, 2010

Despite a reservation secured with a credit card, when we arrived to check in, there was no room for us. And worse, the manager was unappologetic and defensive. Lora informed us that the guests who had stayed in our room the evening before had not checked out or vacated the room. They apparently went somewhere for the day and all of their belongings were still in the room and she was not allowed to move their things into storage. Plus all the other rooms were reserved for that night. There was no room available for us, despite making a reservation.

This was supposed to be a part of a special Father's Day weekend mom and I had planned for my dad. Among other events, we were going to stay in a suite, decorated with antiques/period furniture and then have Sunday brunch the next day. Instead we were put in a small, dark room with block walls in a building adjacent to Graceland.

While trying to talk to the manager and ask questions about this extremely disappointing situation, she became defensive and rude. Be very wary of this place. Can't tell you anything about the room as we didn't get to see it. She wouldn't even let us see into ANY of the rooms, just to get a feel for how nice it would have been.

• Stayed June 2010
4 Thank wvtravelinggirl
Bethesda, MD
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 11, 2010

We stayed in the "Yellow" room overnight while visiting my son who is a student at Davis & Elkins. It is right on the campus so we didn't have to travel far. The only thing we wondered about was the bathtub. We are not used to a tub (vs shower) but we figured it out without much problem. The room was quiet, temperature was about right and we enjoyed the complementary breakfast.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Lubran
Also consider these accommodations in or near Elkins
Isaac Jackson Hotel
Super 8 Elkins
Super 8 Elkins
#4 of 8 in Elkins
Blackwater Falls State Park Lodge

Been to Graceland Inn & Conference Center? Share your experiences!