“No, No, No!”

and 1 more site!
Dunbar Plaza Hotel
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Dunbar
Reviewed August 24, 2012

Let me start with the positive. YES-the front desk staff was pleasant, proficient and professional. YES-the room was clean. YES-the bed was comfortable. The other side of the coin? NO-the TV was an old-style tube type with a snowy picture. NO-breakfast didn't start before 7:00AM on a weekday. NO-there was no cold (yes I said COLD) water in the room; too hot to risk exposure in a shower. NO-I would not recommend.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank dcoach
There are newer reviews for Dunbar Plaza Hotel

Reviewed August 16, 2012

This is a budget motel near a major highway I-64. The room was ok, check in staff were friendly and helpful.The area is somewhat rundown.We were just over nighting, so it was ok . The breakfast area was in another building. This was a most uncomfortable room without A.C.We stayed on 9th July just after storm damage, so I think electricity was scarce.

Room Tip: We choose an upstairs room and it was very quite.
Reviewed July 29, 2012

We had a king sized bed that was very comfortable. Although hotel is dated everything worked appropriately. Only concern about maintenance would be the exposed high voltage wiring lying on the carpet under the AC.

At first glance the room appeared clean but I dropped something behind the night stand and found candy wrappers and q-tips back there. Also shower had a moldy curtain and slick floor.

Continental breakfast seemed to be a bit sparse compared to other hotels we have stayed in. Coffee juice toast and cereal didn’t notice any pastries. Nor was it all presented very well.

Reviewed July 11, 2012

This hotel is a budget hotel. ($60ish) We booked this hotel before a rafting trip. The Good; Price, location, clean (enough) comfortable (enough). The bad; the fitness center is old school and most equipment is broken, the breakfast doesnt start until 7 am and is over at 10am. This was the biggest disappointment as we were not able to eat before needing to leave to make our rafting trip. I would expect most hotel breakfast to begin early than this.
The WV lottery room was a nice addition with free pop and snacks it was a nice way to relax in the evening.

Reviewed January 14, 2012

You get what you pay for, you're spenidng $60 for a budget motel in a small town in West Virginia. The sheets are clean, the property is safe and the staff is friendly. If you want a modern property or new furniture, or even clean carpeting then stay somewhere else.

If you just need a place to sleep without spending a lot of money then this property is more than fine. I stayed as its halfway btw Memphis and New York, checked in at 9pm, left by 7am and the Travelodge met my needs.

Room Tip: Try to get on the no smoking floor, theres a smoky smell on the smoking floors.
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed October 4, 2010

We booked a jacuzzi room here for our 1 year anniversay because it was close to Mardi Gras casino. When we arrived the outside of the building was less than desirable but we thought we would check out the room. The lady at the front desk was extremely rude & did not have our reservation. When we showed her our confirmation page with a PICTURE of the hotel on it, she said it was not their motel but she gave us a room. The interior hallways and elevator were FILTHY. The first room we were given was DISGUSTING. The jacuzzi was FILTHY and there were stains on the toilet seat & shower curtain. When we called the front desk, we were told that there was no one to clean the room & we would have to change rooms. I stayed in this room while my husband went to check out another room. While I was waiting for my husband to return, a maintenance man opened the door with his key without knocking and told me he was sent to check out the room. He looked at the jacuzzi and said "yeah it's dirty" & left. My husband said the second room had mouse droppings on the bathroom sink. When we went to the front desk to tell them we were leaving, the woman asked what was wrong & when we told her all she had to say was "ok", no apology or anything. We went 2 exits back on the interstate to Cross lanes and stayed at a comfort inn AT the casino, paid $50 more than what we would've paid at this dump & had a fabulous, CLEAN jacuzzi room!!
Stay away from this travelodge, it is DISGUSTING and the employees are RUDE!!!!

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank MGIRL1972
Reviewed August 11, 2010

I showed up at the hotel after midnight and a few hours after I made my reservation. Check in took a while because of the long line. When it was finally my turn my reservation had not made it from the website to the hotel. The hotel staff did an excellent job of rectifying the situation, even after calling the 800 number on the website who was very rude.

When I arrived in the room, it was quite gross. I attached a picture of the first thing I saw when I walked in the bathroom. The sheets were very thin and the bedding smelled like the last person who stayed there. If it had been earlier in the evening, I probably would have gone somewhere else after seeing the room.

I stay in hotels about 150 nights a year and this overtook as my worst hotel yet.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank traveleezer
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dunbar
Holiday Inn & Suites Charleston West
Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Charleston South
Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham...
#1 of 3 in South Charleston
Sleep Inn & Suites
Sleep Inn & Suites
#1 of 4 in Cross Lanes
Hampton Inn Charleston - Southridge

Been to Dunbar Plaza Hotel? Share your experiences!