“Great xc skiing in WV”

74 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 81 helpful votes
“Great xc skiing in WV”
Reviewed February 17, 2013

I have just finished xc skiing at White Grass for the last 2 days. The staff are great. Busy weekend with lots of people and lots of snow! They worked hard to keep everything moving from car parking to rental. I like to just go and enjoy flat, wooded trails, getting just the perfect stride (yes, lots of greens). I was afraid with the hill setting the trails would be much more difficult but I found perfect trails. The staff gave me great recommendations. My favorite of course was Timberline...done at the first part of day, after 4 inches of snow, I was alone on a beautiful xc trail. A great place to enjoy the snow and get the great exercise that xc offers!

Visited February 2013
1 Thank lvvacations

Arlington, Virginia
30 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 51 helpful votes
“A Slice of Heaven!”
Reviewed January 14, 2013

Everything about this place was perfect!!! The extensive network and variety of x-country trails offers something for everyone. The rentals and fees were a real bargain ($20 each), the equipment was good and carefully selected for each skier, and the instructors for those who wanted lessons or to brush up their skills were SUPER!!! Thanks to fortuitous timing and a special winter ski weekend, I got a free lesson from Susie. She had me comfortable on my skis in no time, and gave me a lot of great pointers. Whitegrass is rightly renowned for its cafe as well. The food was soul-satisfying, healthy, and delicious! The atmosphere is very rustic and funky, in a wonderful, laid-back way. I returned in the evening for dinner with my husband, and we really enjoyed the live music. We sat up front, but could still lean over to each other and talk. Everyone enjoyed the music and ambiance, without getting blasted out of their seats. I can't wait to go back!

Visited January 2013
1 Thank oneisawanderer
Baltimore, Maryland
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Ski Friendly, Eco Friendly, People Friendly”
Reviewed January 5, 2013

I've been coming here for almost 20 years but it's hard to capture the spirit of the place in a review. Chip and Laurie are the heart and soul of this amazing place and they surround themselves with happy outgoing people who love being outdoors in the snow and are never happier than when they are making that experience for others. Their x-country ski trails are gorgeous. I love the way they "farm" the snow that falls naturally and avoid the big carbon footprint of "making" snow. It's really cool to watch them move the snow fences around to drop snow where they want it as the snow begins to fall. I strongly recommend that you check their website if you are thinking of visiting. Chip updates the ski report pretty much every day during the winter and he is super careful to tell you exactly what conditions you will find if you invest the drive.

Visited January 2013
1 Thank Dave L
Charlotte, North Carolina
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 44 helpful votes
“Something to do!!”
Reviewed January 5, 2013

White Grass is a cross country ski park that also caters to snow shoe hiking. They are considered snow redistributers vs snow makers:) I enjoyed this place despite the pricey cost to ski (about $20 pp & $20 for rentals). Everyone was really nice but be advised, we pulled 2 ppl out of the parking lot! 4WD is advisable or at least look for the signs that say 4WD parking only! LOL. See the cafe posting for reviews on that place:)

Washington DC, District of Columbia
19 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 39 helpful votes
“Good Comfort Food”
Reviewed December 31, 2012

Had Lunch here. I suspect that dinner must be what all of the raves are about since Lunch was okay (average). I'm confused as a person that is a foodie in big cities like NY and DC this place is okay...nothing more than that. The locals have told me that place to go is Tip Top where the food is now better. I don't know...

Visited December 2012
3 Thank icudoc1

Been to White Grass Touring and Cafe? Share your experiences!