“Would Stay Again! Don't Expect the Ritz Carlton, nor the Price!” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Canaan Valley Resort

Canaan Valley Resort
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Davis
WV
“Would Stay Again! Don't Expect the Ritz Carlton, nor the Price!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 3, 2010

Recently, my family and I stayed at the Canaan Valley Resort for three nights over New Year's eve. The rooms were not new, but they were extremely clean. The beds were comfortable. The TV is not a flat screen, but you get many channels to include Starz, HBO, and Encore. The food was good and inexpensive. For example, For $2.75 you can get either a grilled cheese sandwich with bacon and ham with fries or a Nathan's Hot dog with chilli and fries. I can't eat at Taco Bell for that price. The ski resort staff was great. I am used to staying at 5 star hotels such as the Ritz, Willard, Mandrin Oriental, etc. You can't find a more friendly staff. We had a great time! DO NOT listen to those people who wrote negative comments about this resort.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (109)
Albuquerque
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 3, 2010

After I read all the negative reviews for this resort I was honestly expecting the worse during my 3 night stay. But I was so exhausted from snowboarding that I just wanted a minute in the hot tub and a warm bed to sleep in. The plus is that they have a great menu of food and great waitresses and concierges. The bad part was that when I first used the bathroom I had to clean the toilet because the seat was dirty. The WHOLE room should have been cleaned better. Being part of the hospitality industry I know these are minor things that can easily be corrected through inspections. Otherwise it was a very comfortable, quite, and relaxing stay.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with family
West Coast US
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 3, 2009

It was described as a resort with loads of amenities. I expected something newish, nice and generally resorty. I would say it was new and nice in the 1950s, and not much since then. The lobby smelled of musty pool, the room was tatty, the view was lovely, and the buffet only appropriate if you want what I consider really fatty unhealthy food. Lots of mayonnaise salads, etc. etc. Then when we checked out they added a bunch of fees that I was never told about.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
West Virignia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 8, 2009

My husband and I booked our rooms on a Wednesday and we were staying there that following weekend. I was told on the phone that our room would be a Crest View room and that we might be able to check in early if our room was available. We arrived in Blackwater Falls on Saturday. Around 3pm I called the "resort" to see if our room would happen to be available. The lady at the front desk told me they don't let people check in until 5pm (which I think is a little crazy for a check in time) and then she tells me there were no reservations for me. I gave her my confirmation number (I printed out the email that was sent to me) and still nothing. She transferred me to somewhere else and this person gets on the phone telling me that their confirmation number is a little different then mine. So, I’m not for sure why they even bother emailing you or giving you the confirmation number over the phone if they don't even have the same one. We waited until 5pm to check in. When I went inside I had no problems checking in this time. We went to our room with the crest view. I was a little shocked to find out that the crest view room was a view of the parking lot. The only problem I see with the room is that the bathroom is real dirty. Dirt in the tub, tore shower curtain, and stains. Oh yes. While waiting inside our room for our friends to arrive in the morning, the maid came in without even knocking. That really didn't set well with us.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
Rome, NY
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 30, 2009

I wanted to surprise a friend with the relaxation package for her birthday. I was so nervous about taking her after reading all the negative reviews. I actually considered canceling after I read some of them. I decided not to and I am happy I didn't. We had a wonderful girls getaway! The service was wonderful. Everyone was friendly. The rooms were clean. The food was also good. I have no compaints and would go back in a hearteat!

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with friends
West Chester, Pa
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 18, 2009

I am planning a family reunion and had decided on the Canaan Valley Resort. After reading the reviews on this site, I panicked and decided to make the trip to check things out! I expected terrible conditions and can truly say I was very happy. Okay, I was a little scared when we pulled in, because it definately looks rustic. But our room was very clean and bright. The bathroom was clean and fresh. The carpet seemed relatively new, the beds comfortable. Although I will say to bring your own pillow-they weren't terribly comfortable. The bath towels were new and not worn, the pool towels were big and comfortable. The resturant was great. The food selection was good, the prices were reasonable and the food was very good. We ate at the lounge one afternoon and had an equally good experience. Our room was cleaned every day and the housekeeping staff was very nice. The front desk was equally nice. The grounds are beautiful, and the scenery is definately worth the drive. It is a state park! It is not the Ritz. We had a great time, and I won't hesitate to hold my reunion here.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with family
VA
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 29, 2009

When you think of a Resort you think of a very nice hotel with great rooms,service,and stuff to do, on our vist this was truely not the case. Although the Sking was fun, the other aspects of the resort failed terribly. The lobby was very hot from the pizza place next to the lobby. The staff in the pool and other areas were very hard to locate. You had to actually search for staff if you needed help with something. The game room also had two broken games, and the pool room was so small you could barley play pool. The restaurant was very expensive and did not have a wide selection. The rooms were disgusting! Stains on the bed sheets,dirty towels on the floor in the bathroom, dust everywhere! The key for our door didnt work twice during our stay and we had to go to the front desk to get someone to let us in our room.

Overall, I would not recommend this "resort" to anyone. If you go for the day to ski, its okay, but going over night, forget it!

• Stayed February 2009, traveled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Davis
Alpine Lodge
Canaan Village Inn
Canaan Village Inn
#1 of 7 in Davis
Blackwater Falls State Park Lodge

Been to Canaan Valley Resort? Share your experiences!