WINNER WONDERLAND

Review of Canaan Valley Resort

Canaan Valley Resort
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Davis
West Virginia
“Beautiful lodge in a beautiful place!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 7, 2014

I hadn't been to Canaan for a couple of years and was overwhelmed with the beautiful new lodge rooms. The conference area and the rooms are wonderful, and now match the beautiful setting. We had a king room, which was huge. I just stayed at the Opryland hotel for a conference 2 weeks ago, and I have to say the room at Canaan was just as nice as Opryland, and definitely more affordable! I highly recommend this as a nice romantic getaway spot or for a group conference. The staff are very friendly and have a touch of southern hospitality.

• Stayed August 2014
      Cleanliness
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (108)
Plymouth, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 5, 2014 via mobile

The course is a well groomed and scenic one! It is has long sloping fairways with great greens!
The pro shop is very helpful and friendly. The pub style restaurant attached is very nice, offering delicious sandwiches made to order. We will be back!

Stayed August 2014
1 Thank Judy S
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 31, 2014 via mobile

PROS: This is a truly beautiful resort with incredible views of the mountains and valleys of West Virginia. The staff at the main lodge are friendly. The housekeeping staff keep the rooms and facility spotlessly clean. We enjoyed our stay immensely.

Opportunities: the staff is friendly but frequently fell short of providing timely or accurate information. I see this as an issue that could be addressed through training and a commitment to going the extra mile whenever possible. I would suggest learning from the best practices of exceptional leaders in the hospitality industry. Also, it is no fault of the resort but there is no coverage for verizon customers. There is free wifi.

Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
3 Thank Joseph N
Chattanooga, Tennessee
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2014

We stayed at the resort 3 nights over the President's Day weekend to go snowshoeing. The staff was very accommodating and even checked us in early. We stayed in a valley view room with a view of the snow covered valley and the ski slopes. The bed was super comfortable and the bathroom was very nice. Since it was President's Day weekend the dining room only offered a buffet breakfast and dinner. We ate the breakfast, but went into Davis to eat dinner since we don't really enjoy dinner buffets. The Seasons Café had limited food offerings and they were out of some of the menu options the whole time we were there. The trails for snowshoeing and cross country skiing are well marked and there are enough trails to go somewhere different each day. Our overall stay was enjoyable especially since it snowed 30 inches while were there and the park was a winter wonderland.

Room Tip: Valley view room for the wonderful views
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Zelienople
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 28, 2014

We have stayed many times over the last twelve years. The replacement of the old lodges was due, and they did a very good job! The rooms are well equipped with refrig and microwave. The lobby is large with plenty of seating areas. Staff is helpful as always. The large outdoor pool is great for the kids. The main dinning room is still good. The lounge is good as well, but wish they had a better draft beer selection and used real plates and silverware instead of plastic.

We have also stayed at their cabins which are still a bit outdated, but clean.

We will be back next year!

Room Tip: Balcony rooms have a great valley view.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Buckhannon, West Virginia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 23, 2014

I gotta say that their staff are some of the worst that I have ever seen! I've had issues with them before. The issues have never ruined my stay or experience, so I could overlook them. This last time, however, we were not so lucky. My fiance and I have been planning our wedding for over a year now. We were going to make Canaan the place to have our wedding, a beautiful view of the mountains as our backdrop. We were going to have our reception at a group of cottages that they have, which were pet friendly, and have all of our wedding party and families stay in several of them. I had called and asked about them on several occasions before going to take a look and pick out which ones we wanted. On the first call, we were told that all of the cabins and cottages are pet friendly. I called a few days later to make sure that some cabins were available so that we could go look at them and see what the view from them was like and were told that only certain ones are pet friendly. I explained what I had been told previously and they knew nothing about them all being pet friendly, so I called back and spoke with someone else and finally got the two people talking to each other to get on the same page. Final decision: They are all pet friendly! This was great news, as we plan to have our dogs as part of our wedding as well. So, we went to see the cottages, making a stop at the front desk of the lodge upon our arrival. I asked how far out we could actually book the cottages. I was told that it was up to a year in advance. We then looked at the cottages decided on a group to rent together for our wedding. We were very happy with their location and view. I called as early as I could, exactly a year away from the first day we wanted to rent the cottages... They were already booked?!?! Being pretty annoyed, I asked how that was possible. They went on to explain to me that you can actually book clear through next full calendar year, not just 12 months! If we had known that, we would have booked them the same day that we looked at the cottages, when they would have still been available. My fiance and I had tried to make other arrangements work out, but that is the only time that could work, given we already had other things booked for the wedding that could not be changed. I called them back to express the serious frustration, anger, and sadness that this had caused in great detail because of their staff all not being on the same page and expressed how much they all needed to talk to each other and make sure everyone knew the same things so that this wouldn't happen to someone else. I did so in a fairly calm manner, but they could tell that I was upset. All they ever said to me while I was expressing my concerns was, "I understand your frustration", and "I'm sorry." No more, no less. This came off very robotic and insincere. That simply doesn't cut it. They get thousands of dollars a year from my friends, family, and I (mostly during the winter months), but not anymore! Deal with the staff at your own risk.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank lane7505
Clendenin, West Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 20, 2014

Canann Valley Campgrounds is a beautiful and clean place to camp. You get a nice parking pad with full hookups for less than $30 a night. I would recommend a reservation but walk-ins are welcome too.
The campground is located at The Canann Valley Resort and is close to both Canann Valley and Timberline ski areas. It is also located within an hours drive to Seneca Rocks, Smoke Hole Caverns and Spruce Knob.
My wife and I camped for three nights with our Chocolate Lab and loved it. The campground crew were by a multiple times per day checking on everything to make our stay even better.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Davis
Hampton Inn Elkins
Blackwater Falls State Park Lodge
Canaan Village Inn
Canaan Village Inn
#1 of 6 in Davis

Been to Canaan Valley Resort? Share your experiences!