“This place needs a total overhaul!” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Canaan Valley Resort

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Canaan Valley Resort
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Davis
Richardson, Texas
“This place needs a total overhaul!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2012

First of all, I need to express my gratitude that this place could take us when the power outages in West Virginia the week of July 4, 2012, meant we had to scramble to relocate a family reunion of 27 people. We rented two four-bedroom cottages and some rooms in the lodge. The setting was truly lovely and there was plenty to do for all ages.

HOWEVER--the public areas of the lodge seem totally neglected. The indoor swimming pool had cracked and dirty tile and beatup furniture, the dingy cinderblock bathrooms had peeling paint, I was afraid to use the weight benches in the fitness room as they looked as if they had never been cleaned. The miniature golf was really shabby--good that it was free! The rental equipment for tennis was just a joke--four old rackets and some used balls! That's a shame, as they had four lighted courts, but the surfaces were in poor condition. The golf course was one bright spot--beautiful course and great rental equipment. Just one petty but telling example of neglect--in the lodge public bathrooms, they had elongated toilets but fitted them with the smaller, plastic toilet lids. Talk about cheaping out!

The cottages were in fairly good shape compared to the lodge, but seemed expensive per night compared to other state parks we have been in. The cottages slept 12 people, but only sat 6 at the table in the kitchen, so we had to rent a table and chairs from the lodge.

The restaurant, front desk and bar staff were helpful and friendly.

Room Tip: We stayed in Cabin 21 and it was in fairly good shape compared to the lodge rooms.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
bosticd, General Manager at Canaan Valley Resort, responded to this review, July 25, 2012
Thank you for staying with us. We will look into your suggestions and concerns immediately.

The team at Canaan Valley Resort try very hard to deliver the best experience possible. Your suggestions will assist us in do just that.

Thank you again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (109)
Layton, Utah
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 22, 2012

I stayed in the Beaver lodge. I would say the room was in dire need of renovating, but I think the best thing would be to knock down the entire building and start over.

The carpet on my floor was very dirty; the bedspread coloration made it also appear grungy. There was no refrigerator or microwave. I could hear every time someone walked up the steps, as my room was on the corner. There is no elevator. There are also many steps down from the parking lot. This was a hassle with a suitcase with rolling wheels.

My view was of the parking lot, but my window had water stains between the panes so it always looked foggy outside. The walkway beside my window did nothing to promote a sense of privacy. My Verizon phone did not work unless I walked all the way to the main lodge. My A/C unit made intermittant noises that woke me up several times.

The pool was always filled with screaming children during my 3 day stay.

On the positive side, my shower worked well.

I saw the metal structures of the planned new buildings, but never saw any construction workers working on them during my stay. I would not count on these being completed any time soon.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Outdoorpartner
Thank you for sharing your experience with us.

The renovations are well underway and the projected Fall 2013 completion date is well in sight. We hope that you will return to enjoy the new facilities.
Charlottesville, Virginia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 6, 2012

My family and I, dog and all, just returned from a weekend in the mountains of West Virginia at Canaan Velley Resort. We stayed in a two bedroom cabin. The fact that there was no TV, phone service or air conditioning made me a little bit apprehensive going into it, but I will have to say for the price of the cabin it was quite nice. My only complaint on the accomidations were the HORRIFIC beds. Trust me at one point I thought about sleeping on the floor. They were just horrible, in fact our guests bed was lopsided and our firend said that she had to hang on for dear life just to stay aboard it. The bed linens were pretty embarrasing too, but other than that we had no complaints. The indoor pool and game room was a hit with my five year old and us adults just enjoyed the peace and quiet. One thing we did observe that we felt was less than ideal was the antiquated playground. It looked like something you would have to get a tetnus shot after playing on, so we just kept driving. There is a lot of construction under way and the plans for the new hotel type rooms look pretty promising. Will we return? Yes probably, but it will be with air mattresses in tow.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank 1YoungMommy
We appreciate your feedback and enjoyed having you with us. We will look into the mattress issue and work to replace them for your next visit.

The cabins are rustic and believe it or not we leave the phone and tv out on purpose. These are designed to promote family time and to help escape the city noise. It is good to see you found some accomodating activities in the lodge.

For your next visit, make sure to head down to the campground and let the kids play around on the play ground there. We will look into any concerns with the playground near the cabins.

Elkins, West Virginia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 9, 2012

Stayed the weekend of 5/4/12. My boyfriend and I needed a weekend away. I got an amazing deal with breakfast included for around 80 bucks a night. We loved the hiking trails and indoor pool at the resort. We tried to play miniature golf, but the course was terrible. I would not recommend paying the two dollars per person to even play. My boyfriend got an emergency call that he had to be at work on Sunday early. We talked to the front desk lady, Amy. She gladly refunded us for Saturday night. We were extremely grateful!! We loved the hospitality of everyone working at the resort. Yes, the resort is kinda outdated, but their employees make the place well worth your time. We will stay again!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank TeachAmanda
Thank you for your feedback. Our great employees do a wonderful job trying to take care of all of our guests needs. It is good to see that they are noticed and appreciated.

Also, plans for renovating the putt-putt is in the works.

We hope to see you soon.
Washington, DC
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 23, 2012

We got a deal through Travelzoo for two nights at the lodge and ski passes for two days. We live just outside of DC and this took us about 4 hours to get to. It was very hard to find especially in the windy and snowy conditions we drove in from (and forget about reception on your phone to get GPS). The "resort" was multiple motel-style buildings. So the hot tub and restaurant and other relaxing things to do inside the main part of the resort required a 5 minute walk. This doesn't sound bad except that the high all weekend was 15. So imagine you're trying to go to the pool! Plus, you had to walk down a long set of stairs and then upstairs if your room was on the 2nd floor. Also unpleasant when it's that cold and you're in ski boots! The room was "rustic." It had what we needed and was warm so that worked. It wasn't particularly nice or unnice (had the strangest soap with a hole in the middle). The restaurant was decent, but overpriced (captive audience!) The ski slope was small. There just weren't a lot of trails and particularly few were open when we went (MLK weekend) as it had snowed so little. Given that Wisp is only 3 hours and much nicer and that there are three slopes only an hour and a half away that are probably similar, I can't see going back.

Room Tip: A building as close to the main hotel as possible.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank rtoblin
We appreciate you sharing your feedback with us and are pleased to let everyone know that Canaan Valley State Park is currently under renovations. We are building new lodge rooms that will be attached to the Main lodge area. We are also renovating the ski area with new snow making, magic carpets, and trails.

We hope that you will reconsider and visit when they are complete.
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 19, 2012

Decided to stay here over a weekend just to get away. Reserved room online with a queen bed for 79 buck, pretty cheap, soon found out Why.

Immediately after i started reading reviews about poor experiences, the lack of food or a refrigerator. I decided to call and inquire about fridge and one of the young guys who answered said they have a minifridge yo rent for $12 @ night. When i asked about microwave the kid asked what kind of room i reserved and when confirmed we would have one.

Ended up getting put in the Otter lodge or something in one of the bottom level rooms. Room is smaller than a child's bedroom with crappy tv, no wireless(only in "main" lodge). Smoke alarm was hangng out of ceiling. When we took shower in morning the massaging shower head covered the bathroom floor in water. Fun fun!

Went to dinner that was a buffet only. Food was okay but they had ham, two kinds of pasta, and some chicken. Desserts were sitting out for awhile as icing had dissolved into cake itself.

None ever asked us how our stay was, but we are quite certain that we will never go back or refer anyone to this place. Backwater lodge is nothing to write home about but it beats Canaan in lodging, views, service and value.

Hopefully someone from the "resort" will read these reviews and make changes.

• Stayed April 2012
2 Thank Riip
bosticd, General Manager at Canaan Valley Resort, responded to this review, April 23, 2012
Thank you for your feedback regarding your stay at Canaan Valley Resort. It is a valuable tool in the training process.

One of our goals is to make sure everything is fresh and crisp. We will review the deserts and buffet offerings to make sure to better achieve this goal.

We will also look into your maintenance concerns/comments immediately.

I encourage you to return for a visit if not soon after the new lodges are completed in late summer 2013.
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 27, 2012

Stay was good. The current rooms are a bit outdated. Staff is great.

• Stayed February 2012
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Davis
Alpine Lodge
Canaan Village Inn
Canaan Village Inn
#1 of 7 in Davis
Blackwater Falls State Park Lodge

Been to Canaan Valley Resort? Share your experiences!