“Sweet weekday package...but were mislead”

The Resort at Glade Springs
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Daniels
Charlotte, NC
“Sweet weekday package...but were mislead”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 5, 2009

A friend and I spent 2/3 and 2/4 in the Chestnut Lodge while we skied at nearby Winterplace. We chose the Lodge because it had a common area associated with the surrounding bedrooms. The common area had a fireplace and a kitchen. Well, since only two of the bedrooms in the Lodge were occupied, the common area was locked with no access. Reservations said the common area was available if the entire lodge (4-5 bedrooms) were rented out. Ok...but here's the rub: One has to walk outside, and across the street to obtain ice! Now, there's a foot of snow on the ground, so we gear up for the trek to ice. Guess what? the ice machine was broken! Called Melissa at the front desk, 24 hours later, still no ice. We used outside snow to cool our drinks. Still, $148 for a room for 2, free lift tickets for two, and breakfast, was a sweet deal.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled with friends
1 Thank pitbullrn1
BrandonMcCarter, General Manager at The Resort at Glade Springs, responded to this review, March 16, 2009
Thank you for taking the time and trouble to communicate your recent experience. It is only by learning from comments such as yours that we are able to continue to improve our guest experience. Please accept our apologies for what occurred during your recent stay.

We regret that there was a misunderstanding about the availability of the parlor. We should have been more specific in our confirmation to you that parlors are available only as an add-on to your room at an extra charge. The availability of the parlor is not a function of how many rooms are used or not used. It is of course inexcusable that our ice machine was not working. Needless to say we took immediate action and it has since been repaired. We were happy to learn that you did enjoy the lift tickets and breakfast as part of your package.

Please rest assured that your comments have received our full attention and that we have taken corrective action and addressed your concerns.

We would appreciate the opportunity to accommodate you again in the future and prove to you that we do deliver outstanding quality of service.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (265)
Ohio
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 14, 2009

Don't stay at the main lodge - rent one of the Oak or Chestnut villas .. golf was great and the people were fine! NOW - one thing that is horrible .. is their web site!! I've tried contacting them 3 times to make another reservation using the "contact us" page (for May 2009) - even used their little "chat now" option AND NOBODY WAS HOME there either!

Stayed May 2008
Elkins
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 28, 2008

I am writing to express my disappointment in my stay at Glade Springs Resort. I stayed approximately 2 weeks ago for one night during a mini-
conference. While the room was clean, I found the overall service (including door, front desk etc) to be extremely disappointing. The room cost approx $327 for the night, including tax and resort fees. This was incredibly overpriced. At this price I would expect door service and impeccable service at the front desk. In addition, it was ridiculous that there was no restaurant or lounge available within the building. Dinner in a building across the resort was also average at best. Service was appropriate but prices were outrageous considering the quality of food. My family has run a well known lodging and fine dining facility for over 20 years. I appreciate what it takes to provide stellar service. At Glade Springs, you have fallen seriously short. Room prices of $120 would be more reasonable and appropriate.

• Disliked — Extremely overpriced.
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled on business
1 Thank MyDogTravelsWithMe
West Virginia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 30, 2008

My husband and I arrived at Glade Springs for a weekend out with the kids. We have three young kids. We stayed in the Presidential Suites. The room was nice, but did not include a kitchen. We did not even have a small refrigerator. We kept our infant's milk cold by placing it in the small sink in the bathroom with ice around it. We constantly had to make trips to the ice house to keep his milk cold. The tv had a great selection of cartoon channels for the kids. We spent a lot of time at the Leasure Center. It has a great indoor pool for kids and adults. The Leasure Center also has a small toddler play area which our kids enjoyed. The bowling was fun but expensive. $6.00 per person, per game. Not to mention the fountain soft drink cost us $2.50 each and did not include refills. My husband golfed the Stonehaven Course on a rainy day. He said it was beautiful and very nice. It was EXPENSIVE though. $99 plus tax for one round of golf. Our kids enjoyed the outdoor playground behind Small Talk Cafe. We had dinner one night at Bunkers. The food was great, but the service was TERRIBLE. We waited 25 minutes after being seated just to get our drink order taken. Good thing they have a television at every booth to occupy your time. Kids meals run $5.00, which is not to bad. The burgers are delicious. However, if you want better service, I recommend the fast food restaurants in Beaver, only a few miles away. Overall, we had a nice time with our kids. We were thankful for the time we got to spend with them!

• Liked — Comfortable Beds
  • Disliked — No Refrigerator/Kitchen
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled with family
Summerville, South Carolina
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 21, 2008

Let me begin by saying that we spent a weekend retreat at Resort at Glade Springs with my husband's company. The resort was chosen by and paid for by the company. However, I want to give an honest review for other travelers who may be considering the resort as a destination and paying for it out of their own pocket.

On the surface, The Resort at Glade Springs is enchanting. It is located in a beautiful area of the West Virginia mountains. The exterior of all the buildings and the grounds is very tranquil and beautiful.

Our room was in The Manor House #2. From my understanding, it is a little older than the actual Inn. In my opinion, the rooms were simply below average. I have stayed at MANY places that cost 50% less that were much nicer. ($237 nightly)

In my experience Resort=Luxury. This is not the case at The Resort at Glade Springs. Everything was totally sub par in the room. The list of disappointments is long, but includes: Cheap linens, peeling wallpaper, mildew in the bathtub, grungy carpet, and A/C that could not keep the room cool even though it was only 75 degrees outside.

We enjoyed all of the on site actives, although I would never have paid for them myself as they are all overpriced. I went horseback riding ($50) and indulged in the warm stone massage at the spa ($85). I thoroughly enjoyed both. My husband played golf and thought the course was very nice.($125) We also bowled with the entire company and that was a fun time!

All of our food was very good...no complaints there.

Basically, all the time we spent <B>outside</B> of our room was wonderful. However, we will never return to the resort on our own. It was a great experience....as long as I wasn't the one footing the exorbitant bill for it.

• Liked — Location and on site activities
  • Disliked — The Room
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled on business
West Virginia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 7, 2008

The golf courses are beautiful! The resort is scenic. However, the service and food is horrible. I would recommend this resort for those who cannot afford to stay at the Greenbrier and are dead-set on staying in southern WV.

• Liked — Golf courses
  • Disliked — Food
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
GladeSprings, Executive Assistant at The Resort at Glade Springs, responded to this review, September 15, 2008
The Resort at Glade Springs regrets any negative experience relating to service or food and beverage. We welcome constructive feedback to allow us the opportunity to make improvements in our service standards. Glade Springs strives to provide the very best resort and food & beverage service in West Virginia.
Canton, Ohio
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 27, 2008

Our room was just okay. I was expecting much more for the price we paid. We came for a ski weekend trip and stayed here because it was close to the resort and had lots of things to offer.

Our room was decorated in old-fashioned decor. Fortunately, I was already expecting this from the pictures I viewed online prior to our arrival. I was hoping it would be nicer than pictured, but it wasn't.

The room was very small. The remote control was missing the lid to the battery compartment. It was covered with duct tape. The light in the bedroom was missing the globe.

The worst part was that the bathtub was dirty. There were dark hairs which were not mine and there was black dirt type stains and crud on the bathtub floor. It was pretty disgusting. We tried to overlook this. Otherwise, the place was clean. Housekeeping did not come in during our stay and make the bed or change our towels.

We were supposed to get a complimentary breakfast with our room package. We were 15 minutes late and they told us we could not have our breakfast. We had to go to their brunch restaurant and pay for our breakfast. When we got there, they said they didn't open for another 45 minutes and we had to wait. Seemed rather unfair.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Room Decor and Cleanliness
  • Stayed March 2008
1 Thank batgirljami
Also consider these accommodations in or near Daniels
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Beckley
Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Beckley East
Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Beckley
Courtyard Beckley
Courtyard Beckley
#5 of 14 in Beckley
Sleep Inn Beaver-Beckley
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Princeton

Been to The Resort at Glade Springs? Share your experiences!