“Not my cup of tea”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Daniels
Mendon, New York
“Not my cup of tea”
Reviewed May 31, 2008

The resort is inside a gated community. When you turn off the main road onto resort property the first thing you do is check in with the security guard at the entrance. On the winding 2 + mile trip up to the hotel the first big building you see is the land development office. Then you will pass various streets with expensive homes and condos.

The hotel itself is very nice and exudes an upscale atmosphere. It left me feeling outclassed and a bit out of place when what we were looking for was a relaxing, casual vacation. Our room was large with high ceilings, beautiful crown mouldings and marble sinks and tub. The air conditioning unit was very quiet and the beds were FIRM. It was immaculate. The place isn't situated to take advantage of the views and our room looked out over the parking lot for the staff. The staff at the hotel and the leisure center were always friendly and helpful.

As far as non-golf activites, there is one hiking trail about 1.5 miles long which was interesting and they have a pond and small lake for fishing although both seemed to be poorly stocked. When I inquired about the large lake I had heard about I was told that it's for residents only. Bikes are available to rent however because most of the roads are steep and winding with no shoulders and frequent traffic, it wouldn't be a pleasureable or safe experience. Hotel guests can use the leisure center that is available to residents and there are some great things inside. They have a fullsize bowling alley, an Olympic size swimming pool with several lap lanes on one half of the pool, a fullsized basketball court, a spa, a fully equipped large gym with free weights and aerobic machines, an indoor tennis court as well as a video arcade plus a few other amenities. This facility shows some wear, the lockers are rusty inside and some of the arcade games were broken. The whirlpool in the ladies locker room was broken however the sauna and steamroom were working fine. Since the weather on our trip was terrible we ended up at this facility a lot of the time and it was overall a very good facility with plenty of things to keep us occupied. We did not golf or horseback ride due to the rain.

We only ate at the casual sports bar one night. The service was slow and my reuben sandwich was okay but my husband said the burger was excellent. The food was expensive. The main restaurant has a dress code and absolutely no one was in there when we walked through.

The odd thing about this hotel is that you have to leave it to use any of the other facilities within the gated community. All the different restaurants are located in other buildings that could be walked to however since it was cold, wet and windy during our stay this wasn't a pleasant thing to have to do so we drove. The leisure and equestrian centers do require to be driven to as they are 1+ mile from the hotel.

The little town of Beaver is close by and it has a drugstore, grocery store and several national fast food chains. We often times went into town for our meals which we would sometimes bring back to the hotel.

What I was looking for in a vacation and what this resort offers were a total mismatch. Based on how the hotel is advertised on their website I hadn't expected this to be the case. If you're not here to buy a house or play golf there's not too much for you to do especially if the weather is bad. I would not return to this resort again.

• Liked — Cleanliness and friendly staff
  • Disliked — location of hotel & other facilities, atmosphere
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (272)
Charleston, WV
Reviewed April 25, 2008

I was here for a weekend event and keep in mind it was off season! 1st I was booked in the loding away from the Inn and I was only 1 of two people over there---very creepy if you are alone! However, the front desk gladly moved me over into the main building at no extra charge. These rooms were wonderful! Beautiful decor, comfy beds! We ate dinner in one of the restaurants and the waiter didn't seem to know what he was talking about when it came to the menu. When going for breakfast in them morning, the Cafe across the way didn't open until after 8 so we had to drive into town and get McDonald's. Our banquet dinner was pretty good, the wait staff was wonderful! Tanga (Event Coordinator) was AWESOME to work with! Our event went off without a hitch! Will definitely go back, hopefully during peak-season!

• Liked — Loved the rooms!
  • Disliked — dining not what i expected.
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled on business
Virginia
Reviewed March 24, 2008

I was a bit worried after making this reservation for the Easter weekend and then reading the reviews. I actually considered canceling, but thankful did not. We didn't have ANY problems at all. I mean none. We were poised to have something go wrong the whole trip but NOTHING was bad.

Checking in: They let us check in early and were very friendly! Knowledgeable and helpful with all questions about the property.
The room: We stayed in the hotel room 213. $200 per night. It was beautiful. I mean, I would love to have this as my master bedroom suite. We got a balcony King room (although should have saved the extra cash since it was cold and didn't really use the balcony). It was very comfortable. The bathroom was great, the toiletries were good and they even had the plush bathrobes hanging in the lighted closet. There was a mini fridge stocked with snacks and even those were reasonably priced, $1.00 for a can of pop, $1.50 for Pringles or candy. Most places we've been charge at least $3.00 for a can of pop. I never heard any noise during the entire stay in that room.

The recreation center. Is located down the road. You can take a shuttle bus but we just drove since it was close. Lady at the sign in desk was helpful and told us all about what they have there to do. We went bowling first. I am not sure why it was said that it was EXPENSIVE in another review, but we found it reasonable. Games are $6.00 a piece per person. Bowling alleys are $4.00 so that is only a couple of dollars more and it is right on the property. There were only 3 families in there with us at the time. Maybe during busier times in the year you would have to wait, but we didn't have to wait for anything during this time of the year. Well maintained alley and balls that had $3 per of socks that my daughter had to purchase since she left her socks in the room.
We then played in the arcade and then shot some baskets in the indoor court. There were some others playing but they were at one end and we went to the other end. There were plenty of balls and they were all inflated correctly.

There is an indoor tennis court for $25 per hour if I recall the price but we didn't use it. There is also a HUGE workout gym with lots of equipment! We then went to the pool. When we were changing in the dressing room, I mentioned to my daughter we didn't get any towels. An employee who just happened to be waking past the dressing room heard me and offered to go get some for us. She didn't have to let me know she was out there and heard me, so she went above what she had to do. And the towels are big ones. great for pool ones. The pool was nice. A little bit too much chlorine but nothing bad at all. And the hot tub was nice and big and great as well.

They have golf courses there as well. And my husband is already planning on golf on the next visit.

We then went to the Bunkers Sports Grill for dinner. ALL the food we ordered was WONDERFUL!! It tasted very very very good. We got the mini burgers (excellent tasting meat), a small individual pizza that had great flavor and the club which was one of the best ones we have had. The service was great, the food came in less than 20 minutes. Drink refills were always given without asking. Each booth has its own TV if you want to find something to watch. My daughter watched Sponge bob and my hubby watched Basketball on one of the wall TVs. It was a very enjoyable meal. three meals and 3 drinks - $28. Nothing high about that price.
Free breakfast was better than regular continental at other places. There was fresh fruit, cereal, toast, muffins, pancakes, eggs, biscuits, gravy, potatoes, bacon, sausage links and oatmeal. Not bad for being free.
Check out was smooth as well.,

Overall we had a wonderful experience here and plan on going back again many times.

• Stayed March 2008, traveled with family
TN
Reviewed March 11, 2008

This hotel/"resort" is JUST OK. We stayed in an Executive Suite, and were disappointed to find our minibar/refrigerator was Out of Order, and the rooms had no microwave! I haven't been to a motel, much less a resort, in a long time that didn't have a microwave. That was disappointing because we planned to have hot chocolate, popcorn, etc...

The best thing about the room itself was the housekeeping - very clean, very detailed.

As for the "resort" - I guess it gets that qualification b/c it has an equestrian center and spa. We went b/c we were traveling w/ kids, and it had a pool, bowling alley, arcade (very old games) basketball and tennis courts, and movie theater. WELL, the pool was nice, but bowling was OUTRAGEOUSLY priced! So was renting a tennis court ($25). One night we wanted to shoot hoops, but you have to reserve the court first, and it happened to already be taken. The other night was no problem.

The hotel has several restaurants to choose from....at Bunker's, lunch for 4 put us back $45! Wow! Breakfast was free with the package we got, but again, "just OK".

Since we had a late season ski package, with the room we got the breakfast and 2 lift tickets per night for free. So, you get what you pay for? Maybe I was just expecting more from a "resort"....

• Liked — housekeeping was tops
  • Disliked — Expensive to eat, do activities like bowling, etc. lack of
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled with family
Brentwood , TN
Reviewed March 9, 2008

We wanted to take our sons somewhere for their first ever ski/snowboarding trip and decided on Winterplace, WV. We stayed at Resort at Glade Springs for 3 nights after Christmas, 2007. It was challenging to write a review of this property since while the experience was fine, it was not really memorable. Here's why:

Check In: We had changed our original reservation (which was to have been in "the Inn"/main building to one of the others ("The Madison") which allowed pets when we learned later the resort allowed dogs under 50 lbs. Our original rate included breakfast but when we changed to the pet -friendly room, we were told that type of package wasn't available for that type of room. However, when we checked in, we were given vouchers for breakfast during our stay. The person checking us in talked on the phone while making out our paperwork and then merely handed us the packet, which contained our two keys. It wasn't until we reached our building and opened the packet that we discovered the keys were not identified in any way as to which room was ours. While we understand this security measure, we can't understand why the front desk clerk wouldn't have told us our room number before sending us off to find our way without even pointing out the building on the map (let alone which room).

Room: Once we straightened out what room we were in, we were pleased with the accomodations. We actually received a two room suite (not what we had reserved) that had a separate bedroom for the adults. Rooms were large, bright and cleaned each day with fresh supplies. The bathroom had a nice, full length vanity with large shower/tub area and was well lit. The rooms had many windows and ours looked out on a lovely forested area where we saw deer and wild turkeys (much to the chagrin of our dashaund!:)

Restaurants: The best is the little coffee shop, Small Talk Cafe, which makes delicious mochas and fruit smoothies and a wide variety of sandwiches, salads and pastries. We ate there twice and grabbed some steamers before leaving for home. The Bunkers Sports Bar was a huge disappointment. Way overpriced and numbingly slow for an order of 2 burgers, a salad and some nachos....and then the burgers were cold and the nachos soft. For breakfast each day we used the voucher to eat at the small buffet at the Rotunda. We are early risers so perhaps that is why the staff always seemed unprepared (i.e. no coffee ready after opening time and only part of the food set out), altho' they were friendly.

Activities: Skiing at Winterplace was awesome! Since we were newbies, we don't have anything to compare to, but the Winterplace staff was very helpful and the instructors did a wonderful job with our sons. Our youngest tried the snowboarding and his instructor was extremely patient and encouraging. Every time we checked in on him, our son was laughing and enthusiastic to keep learning--even tho' he spent much time sprawled in the snow (rather than upright on his board).

Glade Springs offers a bowling alley (didn't use); swimming pool and whirlpool ( very clean and wonderfully warm without too much chlorine ), sauna and steam room (again, just fine), game room (many broken) and movies once a night (didn't watch). We chose this resort because of the many activites it provided and had planned to send our children to the special kid's New Year's Eve celebration; however the parents had to attend the adult version as well and it would have cost approx. 400.00 for all four of us ...so we decided to pass.

Service: As mentioned by others (and here earlier) service was hit or miss. People seemed kind enough but somehow just didn't have all their details together or often seemed distracted and/or forgot things. In the end, it should be noted that we did not pay either of the prices we were quoted for the two types of rooms we reserved.....nor did we pay the price stated for the type of room we ended up with. When we tried to sort this out with the front desk, they seemed puzzled by it all and in the end we paid "somewhere in between", which was more than we were ever quoted but less than the listed rate on their website (we checked later to verify). Anyone considering staying at Glade Springs should also note that there is a 20.00 per day resort fee--again, something that is not readily disclosed when booking.

All in all, we had a pleasant stay but would choose another location next time to save some dollars and be closer to other stores and restaurants rather than the other homes and townhouses being built inside this gated community.

• Liked — peaceful and surrounded by nature
  • Disliked — pricing confusion and lack of reliable service
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled with family
Charleston, SC
Reviewed December 15, 2007

I held my wedding ceremony and reception at Glade Springs Resort. It was a fantastic location for family and friends to gather together for my special day.
The staff made sure that no one bothered the ceremony. It was outside and we never heard a beep from anyone. Wonderful touch! The rooms are beautiful and the place where we held our reception was exactly as I imagined it would be. Absolutely gorgeous! The food at the reception was amazing and beautifully presented. --All done by the staff at Glade Springs.
My only two complaints: My husband and I stayed the night there after the ceremony and I found out later from my bridesmaids that the staff wasn't going to do anything special to our room for the wedding night. They went out themselves to a local Wal-Mart to purchase candles, roses, chocolates, etc. I feel that for the price you pay to stay there, and it being such an amazingly special occasion, they would have provided a turndown service.
My second complaint was the breakfast the morning after. We met up with the family at the Rotunda and the waitress who took care of us really did not know what she was doing. Pretty disappointed in the service with breakfast.
Other than that, it was a great place to get married!

• Liked — The rooms were gorgeous!--VERY CLEAN!
  • Disliked — Personal touches with the staff
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled with family
Wheeling WV
Reviewed November 2, 2007

I accompanied my wife to Glade Springs where she was to have a weekend law seminar. I thought the place a little "off center". Check-in time is 3:00 p.m., our room was ready at 6:00 so we missed a welcome reception. It may have been the time of year, (out of season), however the place is booked solid for the weekend with lawyers. The main Inn has a huge lobby and contains a lobby bar and restaurant. Both were closed, with the exception of Sunday brunch which ends at 10:30 a.m. There is a load of conference rooms, though. The weather was pretty lousy, so you had to either drive or take a shuttle to other buildings which contain the restaurants, indoor pool, tennis, etc. Once there, the food was terrific as was the service; and fairly priced. There is no room service, other than pizza.

It's just rather inconvenient to have to drive to get a cocktail or eat a meal at a resort. I understand it at a Hampton Inn and you wouldn't have to walk or drive as far.

That being said, the staff were all terrific, the rooms spacious, and the amenities in the rooms adequately supplied. I doubt that by the time you add the costs of meals, you'd spend more than twice as much to stay the the Greenbrier and have three times the services. Unless it pulls people from other states for conferences, I hope that the homes there can support this folly.
It was a case of happy/sad. "Great rooms...no service" "Great food...but not at the Inn" "Neat Bar...not open" "Sunday brunch...over at 10:30". I really don't see myself visiting again. And remember, there is nowhere else to go in this neck of the woods. You are captive when visiting Glade Springs

• Liked — The cleaning people were lovely.
  • Disliked — It was all very inconvenient.
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled on business
1 Thank WheelingWVMarty
Also consider these accommodations in or near Daniels
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Beckley
Sleep Inn Beaver-Beckley
Hampton Inn Beckley
Hampton Inn Beckley
#2 of 14 in Beckley

Been to The Resort at Glade Springs? Share your experiences!