The resort is inside a gated community. When you turn off the main road onto resort property the first thing you do is check in with the security guard at the entrance. On the winding 2 + mile trip up to the hotel the first big building you see is the land development office. Then you will pass various streets with expensive homes and condos.
The hotel itself is very nice and exudes an upscale atmosphere. It left me feeling outclassed and a bit out of place when what we were looking for was a relaxing, casual vacation. Our room was large with high ceilings, beautiful crown mouldings and marble sinks and tub. The air conditioning unit was very quiet and the beds were FIRM. It was immaculate. The place isn't situated to take advantage of the views and our room looked out over the parking lot for the staff. The staff at the hotel and the leisure center were always friendly and helpful.
As far as non-golf activites, there is one hiking trail about 1.5 miles long which was interesting and they have a pond and small lake for fishing although both seemed to be poorly stocked. When I inquired about the large lake I had heard about I was told that it's for residents only. Bikes are available to rent however because most of the roads are steep and winding with no shoulders and frequent traffic, it wouldn't be a pleasureable or safe experience. Hotel guests can use the leisure center that is available to residents and there are some great things inside. They have a fullsize bowling alley, an Olympic size swimming pool with several lap lanes on one half of the pool, a fullsized basketball court, a spa, a fully equipped large gym with free weights and aerobic machines, an indoor tennis court as well as a video arcade plus a few other amenities. This facility shows some wear, the lockers are rusty inside and some of the arcade games were broken. The whirlpool in the ladies locker room was broken however the sauna and steamroom were working fine. Since the weather on our trip was terrible we ended up at this facility a lot of the time and it was overall a very good facility with plenty of things to keep us occupied. We did not golf or horseback ride due to the rain.
We only ate at the casual sports bar one night. The service was slow and my reuben sandwich was okay but my husband said the burger was excellent. The food was expensive. The main restaurant has a dress code and absolutely no one was in there when we walked through.
The odd thing about this hotel is that you have to leave it to use any of the other facilities within the gated community. All the different restaurants are located in other buildings that could be walked to however since it was cold, wet and windy during our stay this wasn't a pleasant thing to have to do so we drove. The leisure and equestrian centers do require to be driven to as they are 1+ mile from the hotel.
The little town of Beaver is close by and it has a drugstore, grocery store and several national fast food chains. We often times went into town for our meals which we would sometimes bring back to the hotel.
What I was looking for in a vacation and what this resort offers were a total mismatch. Based on how the hotel is advertised on their website I hadn't expected this to be the case. If you're not here to buy a house or play golf there's not too much for you to do especially if the weather is bad. I would not return to this resort again.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Resort at Glade Springs is a full service destination resort offering travelers a memorable mountain escape where they can enjoy a variety of accommodations, meeting facilities, outdoor adventures and recreational options while decompressing and being themselves. Its’ ideal Southern West Virginia setting provides the total package of outdoor mountain fun, world class golf, skiing, equestrian, tennis and spa services that offers great value and surpasses expectations. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Orbitz, Expedia, Hotwire, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Priceline, Cheap Tickets and TripOnline SA so you can book your The Resort at Glade Springs reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Resort At Glade Springs Hotel Daniels
- Hotel At Glade Springs
- At Glade Springs Daniels
- Glade Springs Resort West Virginia