1,502 results
All reviewsbowling alleyexecutive suitegolf tripgreat golfsports barescape roommanor housegolf courses areindoor poolbasketball courtlaser tagrec centershuttle servicehorseback ridingthe main hotelpro shopin great shape
Reviewed November 2, 2007

I accompanied my wife to Glade Springs where she was to have a weekend law seminar. I thought the place a little "off center". Check-in time is 3:00 p.m., our room was ready at 6:00 so we missed a welcome reception. It may have been the time of year, (out of season), however the place is booked solid for the weekend with lawyers. The main Inn has a huge lobby and contains a lobby bar and restaurant. Both were closed, with the exception of Sunday brunch which ends at 10:30 a.m. There is a load of conference rooms, though. The weather was pretty lousy, so you had to either drive or take a shuttle to other buildings which contain the restaurants, indoor pool, tennis, etc. Once there, the food was terrific as was the service; and fairly priced. There is no room service, other than pizza.

It's just rather inconvenient to have to drive to get a cocktail or eat a meal at a resort. I understand it at a Hampton Inn and you wouldn't have to walk or drive as far.

That being said, the staff were all terrific, the rooms spacious, and the amenities in the rooms adequately supplied. I doubt that by the time you add the costs of meals, you'd spend more than twice as much to stay the the Greenbrier and have three times the services. Unless it pulls people from other states for conferences, I hope that the homes there can support this folly.
It was a case of happy/sad. "Great rooms...no service" "Great food...but not at the Inn" "Neat Bar...not open" "Sunday brunch...over at 10:30". I really don't see myself visiting again. And remember, there is nowhere else to go in this neck of the woods. You are captive when visiting Glade Springs

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled on business
1  Thank WheelingWVMarty
Reviewed September 18, 2007

We received an invitation in the mail for Glade Springs Villages for 3 free nights. Because Gauley white water rafting season had just begun, we decided to take them up on their invitation. The only catch was that we participate in their "two hour presentation" about their property.

We did not know what to expect when we first drove up the property. The guard gave us our parking pass and poor directions to the hotel. However, once we found it, check in was a breeze. Our room happened to be in one of the Executive Suites (The Monroe) outside of the main hotel. Upon opening the room, we found the room to be a little disappointing. The carpet was an ugly green color and the room smelled a bit musty. It was however a nice size. The living room and the bedroom were separated by the bathroom. The sofa had a pull out bed for kids or extra guests. There was also a mini bar, but it was locked so your only option was to stare and drool at the M&Ms through the glass window. There was no fridge in the room; only a coffee maker. Now, the bathroom in my opinion was rather hideous. The wall was covered in this busy, rose print wall paper and the floor had black and white checkered print tile. I don’t know what their designer was thinking! It would have been much nicer if they just painted the bathroom a neutral color and left it at that. The bedroom was, well, a bedroom…..nothing special. The furniture looked a bit old and outdated. I do have to mention that although I didn’t care for the décor, the room was rather clean and well kept.

Now as far as the property was concerned, IT WAS BEAUTIFUL! The leaves had just started turning brown and the golf course was as green as green could be. We must have seen hundreds of deer running around. The homes on the property were all unique and not your typical cookie cutter home you find here in VA. The property had a nice indoor and outdoor pool, saunas, hot tubs, bowling ally, several restaurants, business center, good size weight and cardio room, basket ball and tennis courts, mini theater, and arcade for the kids. I personally enjoyed the Small Talk café. This is a great place to grab a burger or light meal. The bowling alley was nice as well. It was rather cheap; only cost $10 per person for 2 hours (including shoes!).

The resort is definitely a great place for people looking for some R&R and for those looking for some outdoor adventure. Winterplace is only 7 miles down the street and white water rafting is about 30 minutes away. There is also a Walmart just about 15-20 minutes down the road.

Overall, I really enjoyed my trip to Glade Springs and would definitely go back. The property is beautiful and there is plenty to see and do in this little, best kept secret of WV. The Executive Suites are not as nice as the main hotel, but nice for families because of the layout.

I do have to warn you about the sales presentation………don’t be deceived into buying unless you do your home work. Remember, the salesmen are good. They can sell ice to the Eskimos. We almost bought a lot for $37,000 that had absolutely no view. It was in an area of the property that was just now getting the utilities put in. That part of the property isn’t schedules to be completed until 2009. Once finished, it will boost a beautiful, new golf course. Well, if we had bought that day, we would have made a HUGE mistake! When we got home, we looked up other lots being sold on the internet and found a $31,900 lot directly on the golf course! We strictly wanted to buy for the purpose of a 2 – 3 year investment. It would have been a terrible investment if we ended up buying the $37,000 lot. Now, I don’t want to discourage people from buying at Glade Springs. With all the free amenities (including free golf for property owners) Glade Springs is the perfect choice for many people. One day, I would love to retire there! Just make sure you are getting the best deal you can and don’t get pressured into making any snap decisions.

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled as a couple