Holiday Inn Express Cross Lanes
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
$62
  • Pool
$98
Travelocity
Sleep Inn & Suites(Cross Lanes)
$99
$300
$291
$55
$64
$102
$87
$109
All reviewsroom was cleanbiscuits and gravyquiet atmosphereindustrial areaup to datebathroom sinknice staynewer hotelwonderful hotelcharleston areastayed one nightenjoyed my staynice breakfastnext morningcontinental breakfastyogurtoff the highway
FilterAll languages
Reviewed September 3, 2013

We've stayed at 2 other suite hotels in the area in the past. We visit family about twice a year or so. Thought we'd try the HI Express Inn and Suites. The rate was less than the Embassy Suites downtown and about the same as Microtel. For the money, the Holiday Inn beats both. We had no road or train noise and enjoyed not having to pay extra for parking.

Upon arrival, the front desk staff was extremely friendly and courteous. Check-in was easy. They even offered me a bottle of water for the road when I checked out.

The entire hotel has a "new" feel to it. So many in the area have seen better days. Room was clean and spacious. We had the 2 Queen Suite. FYI the sleeper sofa is a Twin. We expected a Queen, but we had plenty of floor space for the kids, who don't mind. Beds were comfortable and came with 2 pillows per spot- firm and soft.

Bathroom and kitchenette sink are the bowl style.... the kind where a bowl sits on top of the counter. Trendy and different, but if I had small kids, it would be impossible for them to brush their teeth or wash their hands.

The room had a fridge and microwave and full set of REAL dishes and silverware. An unexpected benefit if we were planning to stay longer than 2 nights.

Breakfast was above average for most quick breakfast hotel offerings. Highlight was the automatic pancake maker. Kids enjoyed this, although the pancakes were kind of bland. Still a treat for the kids. Typical cereal choices. Also had biscuits and gravy, bacon and sausage, and eggs. The eggs had some kind of salsa or something folded into the center. One of the kids asked for "just eggs" and the breakfast staff kindly and quickly brought out basic scrambled eggs. The cinnamon rolls were pretty good too. I usually don't like hotel breakfast pastries, but I could eat those.

Getting to the hotel is a bit tricky. If you turn left too soon, you end up back on the Interstate. We only did that once.

Walking distance to Golden Corral, which is in the adjacent parking lot.

My only complaints are minor:

There were no pool towels. The front desk person brought some quickly, but only a few. Not enough for all of us and never came back with more after he took the full hamper away. We grabbed the little towels from the adjacent exercise room.

Two of my kids forgot their toothbrushes. When I asked for the complimentary ones, I was told they had run out.

In both instances, the staff was friendly, courteous, and apologetic. If not for the pool towels and toothbrushes I would have rated a 5. Will definitely stay here again when we visit family.

Room Tip: Queen suite rooms sofa sleeper is a twin, not queen. Nice to have real plates and silverware along with a microwave and fridge. I don't think I saw that listed on the room description so it was a nice surprise.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
TwinkleFOM, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Cross Lanes, responded to this reviewResponded September 28, 2013

Dear Donna P,

Thanks for the great compliments! However, we are sorry about the pool towels and toothbrushes. We have taken care of the pool towel issue, we were running low and we were waiting on our shipment during your stay. We do sell nice toothbrushes in our gift shop that is available 24 hours a day. We hope to see you again soon! Thanks for staying!!

Reviewed August 10, 2013

This hotel was clean, and comfortable, with a helpful, friendly staff. They offered free snacks and beer/soda at a specified time in the evening. The heated pool was also great to relax. We spent two nights here and it was great after a long road trip.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family

Dear Lammie_11,

Thanks for the great comments on your stay last month. We appreciate you choosing us as your hotel to stay in Cross Lanes! Can't wait to see you again!

Reviewed August 5, 2013

I have been traveling for the last 5 years. This was the best hospitality I have ever received. The staff at this hotel was very professional and the best I have come a crossed. They had a welcome reception at night which was fun to mingle with the other guest at the hotel. Our room was clean and breakfast was great. I highly recommend this hotel. I will be back next month when I come back to this area.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
TwinkleFOM, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express Cross Lanes, responded to this reviewResponded September 28, 2013

Dear Brad H,

Thanks for the great comments! We are glad you had a perfect stay with us and have passed on the great comments to the entire staff! Thanks for making our hotel your hotel and can't wait to see you again soon!

Reviewed July 16, 2013

Passing thru the Charleston area around 10PM one night we needed a room. Refered and directed to the HIE by another hotel that was booked up. Very pleased with the result.

Courteous and helpful staff, good sized clean room, very nice breakfast, lots of parking. Everything met expectations. Easy access to Interstate.

By the time we got organized and settled, the hotel was sold out. Lots of walk-in trade for now, but when this hotel gets more notice it will be hard to get a room without a reservation.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
TwinkleFOM, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Cross Lanes, responded to this reviewResponded July 25, 2013

Dear Shanonthebeach,

Thank you for the great feedback! We greatly appreciate the wishful thinking for our hotel and staff!! When we're successful, we celebrate! Thank you for giving us a reason to celebrate!!

We also thank you for sharing your feedback and for choosing our hotel! We hope you'll come back and see us again soon!

Reviewed June 19, 2013

I stayed here for 7 days in May, 2013. Nice, new, and clean hotel, which are good attributes to me. A little ways from downtown Charleston, but worth the ride, for the nice, new, and clean part! Convenient to highway.

Room Tip: The back side of hotel is probably quieter. I was on the front, and over the driveway where people went to smoke.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear DRPeroli,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of our property. We are so pleased you liked the fine location of our hotel in the area. We loved your review! It was short, sweet and covered all the points where we aim to please. Thank you for choosing our hotel! With so many great hotels downtown Charleston, we are grateful each time a guest chooses to stay with us!