“Very Nice Hotel..but a bit pricey for the type.”
Review of Sleep Inn & Suites

Sleep Inn & Suites
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Cross Lanes
St. Albans
“Very Nice Hotel..but a bit pricey for the type.”
Reviewed February 22, 2010

I stayed at this hotel in January with a group of friends for a "friend reunion - girls nite". The staff is top rate. Very friendly. The hotel is very clean and this includes lobby, hallways, breakfast area and the room. They had us in a handicap accessible room on the first floor. Very large room and fantastic bathroom. We did not need the handycap accessible room but it is laid out perfectly for someone who would. Amazing really. The main praise would be the safety. As a group of girls we all felt safe there and that goes a long way. Parking lot is well lit and even though the hotel in not centrally located we all felt safe!

I only have two complaints and they are minor and would not keep me from staying there again.
1) the hallway smells a little smokey..it is my understanding that smoking is allowed in certain rooms (floors) of the hotel. I wish they would reconsider as the smell does migrate a bit to the other areas. I am from the area which has essentially gone smoke free so it was unusual to be in a business where you could smell it so strongly. We were right by the exit door so people may have been standing in the stairwell smoking... so hopefully security watches for that.
2) It is very pricy for the type of hotel. A good price for that hotel would be $99 a nite, trust me it was more, nearly double. You could easily stay at the embassy suites or marriot for the amount you pay here.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
Chicago, IL
Reviewed June 25, 2009

This was my second stay at this Sleep Inn. I wish that I could report that this stay was a nice as the first. Although the room looked clean, it smelled like a wet dog (which could be a result of the hotel's "pet friendly" policy).

BE AWARE: This hotel is very close to the dog track/casino and it gets very noisy after 10:30PM. I was awoken twice during the night by people partying in the hallway. If partying guests aren't bad enough, the hotel was apprarently built with very poor soundproofing as we could hear every step being made by those in the room above us.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
SleepInnandSuites, owner at Sleep Inn & Suites, responded to this review, July 11, 2009
Thank you for your comments. We strive to provide clean, comfortable accommodations for all of our guests. For this reason, we do not allow pets. Unfortunately, occasionally people do "sneak" them in. We will make a greater effort in the future to make sure all of our rooms smell good. Please keep in mind we do have security that does help to reduce the noise in most cases. Thank you for helping us with these areas of opportunity.
north carolina
Reviewed November 10, 2008

Very clean, great staff, very close to casino,next to Cracker Barrel, no problems

• Liked — location cleanliness
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank algataho
Kentucky
Reviewed August 18, 2008

Although my stay wasn't all that great, I can certainly see why others like it here.

First, my problems: A television that wouldn't work and an A/C that wouldn't cool in the middle of summer. And this was in one of their "new" rooms. Plus, in my opinion, this place is overpriced...although it is near the casino so I would assume that is why. To be fair, the staff promptly fixed the TV, although the A/C did not kick on all night. Not horrible....but not comfortable either.

Now, the positives: The staff actually try here and seem to care. I believe this is a family operation, so that may be why. Plus, there were actually three people working during the evening check-in rush, as opposed to the customary one or two (if your lucky) staffers at most similar places. The room was spotless and quiet and parking was ample.

My problems were quite likely just bad luck on my part, especially given the glowing reviews by other members on here. And, as I said, I did appreciate the staff "effort". I guess my biggest complaint was the price. I was staying on the company's tab, but if I was having to pay for it out of my pocket I would have been unhappy, especially after the substandard AC. As is, I would probably stay here again, especially if you are looking to stay near the casino/dog track. Plus, there is a shopping center/movie theater nearby, which is convienent. However, for around the same price, you could easily stay at the Marriott or Embassy Suites in downtown Charleston.

• Liked — Staff, cleanliness, location
  • Disliked — Price, A/C
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled on business
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
SleepInnandSuites, General Manager at Sleep Inn & Suites, responded to this review, March 3, 2009
We appreciate your comments, and will make greater efforts to ensure the air conditioners/heaters work in every room every night. Thank you for helping us with this area of opportunity so it does not affect our future guests.
keenawolf
Reviewed June 19, 2008

Wonderful Stay. Stay here on business a couple of times a month and would not consider staying anywhere else! Loved it. The Staff are wonderul and friendly and the rooms are ALWAYS clean and comfortable.

Anyone who gives this Hotel a Bad review is crazy!

• Liked — Easy checkin, clean, friendly staff, security
  • Disliked — No restaurant
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled on business
1 Thank keenawolf
Columbus
Reviewed May 17, 2008

I was treated as a "GUEST" the night I arrived on sunday the 11th of may until I left on the morning of friday the 16 th. The staff was very helpful. The rooms were very nice and well kept. The breakfast was great, with a good variety of choices. My best experience was with David, the overnight auditor/desk person. He made sure (out of his way) that I had directions to Winfield, WV for meetings that week !! I will always recommend this hotel to all my friends, family or business associates that pass through that area. Best Regards, Mike Kelly.

• Liked — The breakfast and service from David the front desk (night person). Also the nice rooms !!
  • Disliked — Can not think about anything.
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled on business
1 Thank KellyPat
Kentucky
Reviewed March 2, 2008

Stayed here on a recent stay to Charleston, WV area.

Seemed like a very new property. Staff was very gracious and check -in was a breeze. Rooms were spacious and very clean.

Ate the breakfast and it was above average--had biscuits & gravy, sausage, eggs, waffles along with typical continental items.

Also located very close to Tri-State Gaming if you are interested.

• Stayed February 2008, traveled on business
1 Thank Milbs_40
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cross Lanes
Wyndham Garden Cross Lanes Charleston
Holiday Inn Express Cross Lanes
Mardi Gras Casino & Resort
Hampton Inn Charleston - Southridge
Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Charleston South
Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham...
#1 of 3 in South Charleston
Wingate by Wyndham Charleston
Wingate by Wyndham Charleston
#2 of 3 in South Charleston

Been to Sleep Inn & Suites? Share your experiences!