“Tip Top Staff - Ho Hum Hotel OR "not within yelling distance of the front desk"”

Wyndham Garden Hotel Cross Lanes Charleston
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Cross Lanes
Reviewed February 12, 2013

During my 2 night stay I found the staff to be professional, friendly, helpful, problem solvers, interested, diligent, and certainly rank at the top of the list of my staff friendly hotels.
I found the HOTEL LACKING. The beds were UNcomfortable. The sink water pressure was very LOW & did not drain well. The shower never did heat up although it was 1:00am. The soda machines were labeled out of order and empty - probably because they wanted you to order from the front desk. The furnishings were clean but dated. The hallways were dark and somewhat confusing. The parking was overcrowded with commercial vehicles. The first night there I only saw men in the hallways and no women or families.

I found myself uncomfortable with the configuration of the hotel building itself - it was extremely long with the front desk at one extreme end. Consequently, when I was relegated to the other extreme end of the hotel, I was a tad spooked. The parking lot was not well lit and it was situated on a hill on a curve so that it was very isolated. Combined with the steep hill down to the interstate and the abundance of commercial vehicles - it was not favorable to me. I don't know why they would - knowing I was traveling alone - put me at so far a distance from the front desk. A little bit of thinking could have diverted that. Thanks to the staff - but the hotel itself would score a D.

Room Tip: Ask to be close to the end where the front desk is located. Ask for a renovated room. If noise sensi...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo
Heather P, VP of Sales & Marketing at Wyndham Garden Hotel Cross Lanes Charleston, responded to this reviewResponded February 17, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us, both the positive and constructive information provided is extremely useful to us and future guests. We are thrilled that you stayed with us and found our staff to exceed expectations; allow me to take a moment to also address some of your other points and concerns…
1. The water pressure/heating & drain issue are certainly not acceptable and will be addressed immediately by our head of maintenance!
2. Soda Machines – we actually just installed new machines which most likely were labeled ‘Out of Order’ because they had not yet been stocked when you arrived – My sincerest apologies for the confusion.
3. Furnishings – Noted and are in the process of being completely replaced. All lobby & lounge area furnishings should actually be replaced within the next week! =)
4. Hallways being dark has not been mentioned but is certainly a reasonable issue to address and will be reviewed promptly.
5. As for commercial vehicles we are very proud to have some of our best and most frequent guests from local utility companies in the area to service the community.
6. We will also discuss the importance of special considerations for guests traveling alone with our front desk staff – thank you for pointing that opportunity out to us!
Thank you again for visiting us and please considering giving us another shot in the future. You may call me or the GM directly with any other thoughts or for information on future reservations.

Reviewed February 5, 2013

Our stay was excellent. The room was very clean, warm upon arrival (great since it was snowing outside) ;0) The housekeeping staff were all very professional, friendly and very helpful. Curtis Sullivan working the front desk upon check in was so very friendly and went above and beyond to make sure our stay was wonderful, even checking on us in the pool area to see if we needed anything before his shift ended for the evening. We are in town at least once a month and we always stayed downtown Charleston, that will now change, we will be staying at Comfort Inn Cross Lanes going forward. Please pass along our thanks to Mr. Sullivan for his kindness and extra attention during our visit, it was very much appreciated and I have put you down as our new corporate stay while in town for business as well. Thank you.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
Heather P, VP of Sales & Marketing at Wyndham Garden Hotel Cross Lanes Charleston, responded to this reviewResponded February 7, 2013

Thank you Sonya! We really appreciate your business and your feedback. Please be sure to stay with again soon. =)

Reviewed February 4, 2013

I was traveling from South Carolina, back home to Boston and decided to stop at this hotel to stay for the night, and man am i glad i did. This place is fantastic! When i arrived, it was around 9pm and i was greeted by a front desk guy named Curtis with a smile and a "Welcome to Comfort Inn!" It was a quick and easy check in and he reminded me of the free hot breakfast in the morning (which is DELICIOUS by the way) the pool location and hours (unfortunately the waterfall was off due to maintenance.) he told me about the bar, and also about the new sitting area with coffee and a beautiful fireplace to keep warm during the snow-showers. The rooms are also very nice, very long hallway, but the walk is worth it. I honestly cannot say one bad thing about this stay. The prices, breakfast, rooms, staff, everything... simply amazing. Curtis was also nice enough to hold a conversation with me about my hometown Red Sox. This place isn't just any other hotel, its a home away from home.

Room Tip: Stay in the King room if you can!!!!
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo
Heather P, VP of Sales & Marketing at Wyndham Garden Hotel Cross Lanes Charleston, responded to this reviewResponded February 5, 2013

Wow - thank you so much Conner! We are so pleased to hear your stay was so wonderful (although we do apologize for the waterfall being unavailable for use - please feel free to call us and we will make it up to you).

We appreciate you taking the time to share your experience with fellow travelers and hope to see you again very soon! =)

Reviewed February 3, 2013

I travel between NC and IN about 5 times a year. I don't drive it straight through so Charleston, WV is my halfway point and this is my home away from home for the night. The front desk staff are very friendly and helpful especially a young man by the name of Curtis. Very nice young man and fun to do business with.
Also the rooms are very nice and clean so kudo's to all of the housekeepers. You do an excellent job.
And yes, the next time I spend the night I will be purchasing a pillow or two before leaving.
I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone who asks.
Please keep up the good work.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank crystalkate730

Thank you for the excellent feedback Crystal! We really appreciate you taking the time to share your experience with everyone and I am sure Curtis will be thrilled to know he made your stay enjoyable!

Take care and please come back soon! =)

Reviewed January 28, 2013

I booked online and we were very happy with the room. It was clean and nicely decorated, the complimentary breakfast the next morning was top notch. Eggs, waffle station, fruit, cereals, all delicious! Beautiful indoor pool with hot tub. We would definitely stay there again!

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Penelope O
Heather P, VP of Sales & Marketing at Wyndham Garden Hotel Cross Lanes Charleston, responded to this reviewResponded January 29, 2013

Penelope,

Thank you so much for taking the time to review our hotel and share your experience with us! We are very pleased that you enjoyed our breakfast choices and our new tropical indoor pool - we put a lot of work into both of those amenities!

Please be sure to stay with us again soon.

Reviewed January 23, 2013

We have stayed at this hotel several times. It is always clean and the staff is the best. They must paint those smiles on! The pool area is so beautiful. This is one of the very best Comfort Inns we have stayed in and we use them exclusively.

Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
Heather P, VP of Sales & Marketing at Wyndham Garden Hotel Cross Lanes Charleston, responded to this reviewResponded January 25, 2013

Thank you so much for the kind words Vicki! We appreciate your feedback and hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed January 7, 2013

We have had the opportunity to stay at this establishment several times and had an excellent experience every time. It will be the go to place for us as we travel several times a year to Richmond, VA. The traffic pattern getting off I64 is CRAZY, however returning to the Interstate is very easy!. Their price is a little high. Breakfast is very typical, but good and they attend to it well! There is a good variety of eateries very nearby. A good variety of shopping is available - we even had our windshield wiper blades replaced for us at a nearby Auto Zone in a snow storm on our last trip.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
Heather P, VP of Sales & Marketing at Wyndham Garden Hotel Cross Lanes Charleston, responded to this reviewResponded January 8, 2013

Thank you so much for the feedback and we are pleased you enjoyed your stay. For better rates you may want to try contacting our front desk because they are numerous opportunities to save money. We offer Choice Privileges rewards (and discounts) and other options.
I agree the traffic can be tough - you aren't alone there. Please always take your time and travel safe! =)

Also consider these accommodations in or near Cross Lanes
Wingate by Wyndham Charleston
#1 of 3 in South Charleston
Four Points by Sheraton Charleston
Holiday Inn & Suites Charleston West

Been to Wyndham Garden Hotel Cross Lanes Charleston? Share your experiences!