“Great Service.” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Cross Lanes
Wilmington, North Carolina
“Great Service.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2011

After a long haul all day from Northern Illinois en route to North Carolina, we decided to pull off the Highway and get a room at the Comfort Inn after seeing an Indoor pool advertisement on a road side billboard. As I went to check us in the clerk asked if I had any sort of discount to apply to the room rate AAA, military, etc. When I responded no, she gave us a 10% discount for no reason at all. This was very welcoming to me. The room was very clean and roomy. The Wi-Fi was quick. The pool area was breathtaking for a roadside hotel, with plants, a jacuzzi, and even a Sauna. In the morning, I was very impressed with the hot breakfast buffet as well. I would recommend this hotel to anyone traveling in the area, and also plan to return on my next trip!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank ferdusing

Charlotte, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2011

We have stayed at this Comfort Inn Many, many times over the last 6 years. The Tri State Racing track is right down the street with Casino Gambling. Love the Breakfast that is Free at the Comfort Inn!! We try to meet friends once a year from NC, Oh, and KY at this Comfort Inn.. Each renting a room and each just as nice as the other ones.. Roomy, clean, and comfortable. The computers in the front of the motel are used each time we go and enough so there is never a line to use... We are planning on another stay at the end of the month...

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with friends
Chicago vicinity
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2011

This is a "just off the interstate" hotel located midpoint on the homeward leg of our Carolina vacation. It was the second time we've stayed here and my remarks are mostly the same as my review from last year.

The hotel is pet-friendly in an area with surprisingly few pet-friendly options. This motel is pricier that other "just off the interstate" motels, but this property does have several amenities those other properties lack, namely a nice indoor pool. We planned for an early check in on this trip so that we could relax around the pool. Unfortunately, 200 other guests had the exact same plan.

The motel staff at check in and check out were friendly. My wait to check in took excessively long, though that wasn't the fault of the clerk. It was sooo long, and caused by circumstances that actually made the ordeal downright funny in retrospect. The poor clerk had to first check in a group of seniors. They fussed over everything, the room rate, having to use stairs to get to their rooms, how they were going to pay. Then, after being checked in, one woman changed her mind about wanting to stay there and so the whole group decided to go someplace else, thus necessitating refunds for all of their rooms. And the next person in line was a Chinese gentlemen with a limited command of English. And, naturally, motel clerks in West Virginia typically don't have any better command of Mandarin. It was the sort of situation Groucho Marx could have made into a movie classic.

The motel is within a short driving distance of a lot of businesses and restaurants (mostly fast food), but nothing that you could easily walk to. We skipped the comp breakfast buffet because it was too crowded.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank BigTool
Charlottesville, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2010

My boyfriend and I have stayed at this particular motel no fewer than 20 times. My first time was when our daughter was a month old. We love that everyone knows her name and has been able to watch her grow. She is nowc 20 months old and I cannot wait for our next trip! The rates are a little pricey, but I have never had a problem with anything else and I know great service, because I have worked in the hospitality industry for 20 yrs! So it surprises me to read such negative reviews on the comfort Inn at Cross Lanes, WV.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
Chicago, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2010

We have stayed in 3 Choice hotels this year and this one is the least of the 3. That being said, The hotel is not that bad and I might actually stay here again. Like most people WV is half way home from everywhere and we stayed here for one last dip in the pool before the vacation was over.

The indoor pool is by far the nicest I have seen in a long time. The tropical theme and waterfall feature are pretty cool for a hotel in this class. The hot tub is tucked back in some palme trees and they have a 2 person sauna in the pool area as well. It was rainy so we did not check out the outdoor pool area.

They have a bar onsite with a limited snacking menu of things that can be heated in the industrial toaster over. There is a bar scene at the Lazy Dog Saloon and makes for great people watching as you have a few beers and unwind from your drive. The bartender was actually very good and made some obscure mixed drinks off the top of her head.

The rooms are only so-so, and there is definitely a smoke-smell in the halls, though not in the rooms. Compared to other Choice Hotels we have stayed in the rooms were only average. Slightly cramped, but updated and clean. The hotel staff was very accommodating and did their best to meet our needs.

For the money this is an average value. Rooms in the Charleston area are in the $100 range because they know they are half way to everywhere. Cross lanes is evidently near a casino wo they keep the rates jacked up too. I was not dispelased with my stay, but I was not wowed either.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank manque
ComfortInnWV, Owner at Comfort Inn Charleston, responded to this review, August 2, 2011
How can we help?
Glenwood, West Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2010

My wife and I wanted to take a little mini-vacation to hang at the pool and do some gambling. I checked out all the local motels and decided on Comfort Inn for two nights. All the motels in the area were pricey at around $100/night. I could find no deals on the internet, probably because they appear to be full quite often. Nevertheless, when reserving the room I was given a senior discount. That was cool. I did notice that not all rooms have refridges or microwaves and requested one when making the reservation. The attendant advised calling the morning of arrival to check as that is when the rooms are assigned. I called twice and received a call back as they were very busy, but we got the refridge. They said they hope to have all rooms with refridges soon but they are only in 80% of the rooms. There were three free high speed computers for use...great. Local and USA Today papers were free to read. A small bar (with a pool table!) provided limited appetizers and reasonable prices. It was adjacent to the outdoor pool and they would bring food to you at poolside. There was also an indoor pool and exercise equipment available which we didn't use. The rooms were fine and clean. The shower head worked well. There was a free shuttle on call to and from the casino. Breakfast was good although we missed it once and arrived late the second time. Coffee was available all day. The Housekeeping staff were very friendly and they did their job well. The pool was perfect and allowed for sunbathing, drinking, eating and socializing with friends...as well as a cooling dip when getting too hot.
All in all, this was just what we wanted. And they delivered. We will do it again.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2010

We were heading back home from our trip to the Carolina Coast and needed a place to stay for the night. We waited until the last minute, and assumed we could get a hotel in Charleston proper at a Marriot. For some crazy reason almost every hotel was booked from 20 miles south east to 10 miles west! We saw the road sign and quickly called from the highway and got a room. I was quite skeptical after having a "luxury" vacation, but this hotel was super clean! and the front desk clerk was super friendly and welcoming as we came in at 9pm with a 2 and 4 year old ready for bed!
The only thing you need to make sure(if you're a non-smoker) is get a NON-smoking room. We got one, but had to walk through the "smoking" area and it was thick!!
All in all, I wanted to make sure to share this review because it really did exceed my expectations!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
Wingate by Wyndham Charleston
Wingate by Wyndham Charleston
#1 of 3 in South Charleston
4.0 of 5 stars 665 reviews

Been to Comfort Inn Charleston? Share your experiences!