Open today: 6:00 AM - 10:00 PM
Review Highlights
A great state park

Babcock is a quiet scenic state park. Hiking, fishing, and just plain relaxing is the best. This... read more

Reviewed 4 weeks ago
Steve B
Normal, Illinois
Beautiful place to visit

Great picture opportunities and beautiful waterfalls. The hiking is amazing. My kids love visiting... read more

Reviewed 4 weeks ago
mbradbury73
Scott Depot, West Virginia
via mobile

All reviews grist mill old mill bannock gift shop hiking trails state park west virginia beautiful scenery fall foliage a wonderful place to spend picturesque place photo opportunity new river gorge scenic area every evening per night nice campground
Reviewed November 24, 2015

Beautiful State Park!!! The Grist Mill was on my bucket list. Glad I had the opportunity to capture a few images of it!

Reviewed October 25, 2015 via mobile

I like many other photographers went to see and photo the Glade Creek Grist Mill. Despite being a native West Virginian, it was my first visit. I expected it be beautiful. It is. I also expected it to be remote and secluded on a back trail in WV. It isn't. You park right next to the Mill making for easy access for those who can't walk. The downside, is that it gets very crowded making it difficult to photograph the mill without people in your photos.

As a fairly experienced photographer, I ended up using a ten stop Neutral Density filter allowing for 3 minute exposures which eliminated any people that were walking through my shot or around the mill. See the attached photo. It appears I was alone there but there were people everywhere. If you don't know how to do this, either come right when the park opens or stay until right before dark as the crowd thins considerably. Otherwise you will not get a shot without someone in it during the weekend in the fall.

It's definitely worth seeing and offers a nice backdrop. It's easy to get to and can be done in an hour or two leaving you time to go to Hawks Nest and Summersville lake in the same day. All three should be seen in the fall. The peak fall foliage color happens around the first week of October in this area.

7  Thank 68Trout
Reviewed October 22, 2015

Beautiful state park in West Virginia! A photographer's dream! I always love coming to this park, no matter what the season! It's always very beautiful! Interesting old mill that is open on weekends.

1  Thank pt10000
Reviewed October 16, 2015

I wanted to love my stay in the cabin at Babcock State Park. After many stays in the CCC cabins at Holly River, I thought I knew what to expect and I was really excited. I was warned about the steps and the heating and didn't have a problem with either. I was however told the cabin was creekside- that was a stretch. The cabin was actually hidden from any kind of creek view several hundred feet up a very steep ridge, so it wasn't accessible at all! The road to the cabin section is also worth noting- very, very narrow with 2 way traffic. Very narrow. With no parking to speak of. The cabin itself was not as clean as it could have been with lots of dust and cobwebs, but I imagine housekeeping is a logistical nightmare. I did get some great photos of the gristmill and the lake, though- it was quite scenic and definitely worth a day trip. I'm just sorry I can't recommend an overnight stay. We won't be back.

1  Thank szphllps
Reviewed October 15, 2015 via mobile

There's parking for about forty cars at the visitors center and gift shop. It's also the main parking lot for those wanting to see the iconic grist mill, one of the most photographed spots in the state of West Virginia. Best bet is to get there in the early morning when the light is most suitable for photography. There's also a webcam online where you can monitor the fall foliage, which was pretty much at peak during my visit.

There are two main scenic overlooks, both easily accessible from the road, and well worth the drive to get to them: the first is along the road (about half-way) heading towards the upper cabins, the other near the upper cabins picnic area. There's another overlook (Island in the Sky) that's best accessed by driving the road that heads toward the lake, and at the first hairpin-turn there's a small pull off: take that short trail (always going to the right of it forks), and after an easy five minute walk, there's a shelter and a rocky outcrop. Be careful if you have kids because there's a bit of a cliff there.

The lake is nice and scenic but was closed when I was there due to it being 'past season' for boating and other activities, though you could still park there and walk the trail around the lake.

Overall a great way to spend the day!