“5 stars for the adventures - 3 for the cabins”

NROCKS Outdoor Adventures
More attraction details
Owner description: NROCKS Outdoor Adventures, formerly known as the Nelson Rocks Outdoor Center, is a privately-owned adventure destination that encompasses 145 mountainous acres, including the two Tuscarora Quartzite fins of Nelson Rocks. Located in the beautiful North Fork Valley of Pendleton County, West Virginia, NROCKS is home to a Via Ferrata, The North Fork Valley Canopy Tour, and incredible guided rock climbing trips. Come visit and experience an adventure of a lifetime!
Washington, District of Columbia, United States
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“5 stars for the adventures - 3 for the cabins”
Reviewed May 29, 2013

Our group did the via ferrata and zip-line canopy tour and can't say enough good things about those. Josh, Nicole and Tory were all amazing guides. Nicole, in particular, was extremely aware of my fears and helped me through the via's most difficult parts (I did sit out the hardest part but she helped me deal with the rest by just chatting with me and showing me the best places to put my feet.)

We had wanted to stay at the campsite but there wasn't enough room for our large group so we got a cabin. Our group of 10 shared the Judy cabin, which, like the rest, is divided in 2, with 3 bunk beds (sleeps 6) on each side. We found out after we got there that one of the 4 cabins has heat and a spacious outdoor deck. We paid the same for no heat and no deck. (I know we would have had neither of these at the campsite but we paid extra for the cabins.)

The beds are twin-sized and the mattresses are very flat and hard. We pushed two together so we could have one large bed but the lump of wood in the middle made that pretty near impossible. Still, it was better than sleeping alone on those cold nights. Another couple in a different cabin brought an air mattress that could be blown up using the car plug. Definitely do that if you are not sharing a room with lots of people.

The sinks on the women's side of the bathroom did not work. They were turned off because of a tremendous leak that should be easy enough to repair but wasn't.

There is one campfire and 2 charcoal grills for cabins that can potentially sleep a total of 48. I'm sure they never have that many people but just be aware that you my have to wait your turn or you may want to bring your own camp grill.

The best parts of the cabin experience were:
All of it was very clean - cabins, bath house, kitchen
Wood was delivered
Kitchen house is very large and made food prep more convenient than we expected

The service and the fun made up for the cabin issues but just be prepared that they will not all be equally (or at all) comfortable. Stay at the campsite if you can!

Visited May 2013

Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“Awesome and in awe of nature”
Reviewed October 30, 2012

My friends and I went in mid-October for the via ferrata and LOVED the experience. The via ferrata was just challenging enough to incite excitement and a bit of fear, but not so challenging that we were worn out. The guides (Tony and another guy) were super nice and never rushed us. Our group of about 14 took three hours to complete the via ferrata, and along the way, had plenty of opportunities to rest and take pictures. I would definitely recommend going in the fall because the view from above is breathtaking!

We stayed at one of the guest rooms for two nights. It feels like a motel room with all the amenities. If you do not want to camp or if it's too cold to camp, that is the way to go. The walls were a little thin so we could hear our neighbors. During our stay, a family that's staying in the yellow house across from the building with the guest rooms were drunk and yelling loudly at each other at 2 a.m. A woman stormed out yelling divorce...To other travelers, simmer down, nature has no place for your drama.

2 Thank Weifei Z
Rockville, Maryland
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Amazing experience!!”
Reviewed October 11, 2012

We booked this trip without really knowing what to expect, and we were very pleasantly surprised. The guided tour up the rocks and across the suspension bridge was one of the best outdoor experiences we have ever had. The guides were very professional and extremely friendly, as was the rest of the staff. They made our safety a priority, but were not so overbearing that they prevented us from having fun. They were more than happy to take pictures of us, and were very patient whenever we had any issues.

The new facilities are very clean (although not especially roomy), and now they've added a zip-lining experience (canopy tour) that's a lot of fun. We would highly recommend this trip.

3 Thank Amir S
Drexel Hill, Pennsylvania, United States
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“$450 for 4 people?”
Reviewed October 9, 2012

I'm looking at the brochure that I have from 2006 when they used to charge $40 per person. Now it's $113.40. For that kind of price increase, you can drive up to Seneca Rocks and hire a climbing guide to go around Seneca for the day. I called and they indicated that they've added additional facilities, which I'm sure are very nice. The problem is I just want to go up on the rocks. Apparently now they require a guide to go with you and that has made it prohibitively expensive.

Having done this in 2006, I will say it's a cool experience, but it's not a $113 experience.

Visited November 2011
1 Thank Brandon B
Centreville, VA
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Fantastic time on the Via Ferrata”
Reviewed October 8, 2012

Just visited Nelson Rocks this past weekend and had a blast! I was with a group of about a dozen coworkers doing this as a team building event. The weather was just about perfect and the leaves are turning, making the views spectacular. We had great guides (thanks Neil and Cody!) who provided varying levels of assistance depending on what individuals needed. There are two points at which climbers can return back if they don't wish to continue and the guides assisted members of our group at both of them. Everyone was supportive and encouraging without being pressuring and those who went back left just as satisfied as the rest. I will come back here again, both for the Via and the zip lining course, which I didn't get a chance to do this trip. Note: definitely use their directions on the website as GPS will lead you astray. I believe it took us about 4 hours to do the full hike/climb/hike.

3 Thank BillCentreville_VA