“Via Ferrata - rock climbing for the amateurs”

NROCKS Outdoor Adventures
More attraction details
Owner description: NROCKS Outdoor Adventures, formerly known as the Nelson Rocks Outdoor Center, is a privately-owned adventure destination that encompasses 145 mountainous acres, including the two Tuscarora Quartzite fins of Nelson Rocks. Located in the beautiful North Fork Valley of Pendleton County, West Virginia, NROCKS is home to a Via Ferrata, The North Fork Valley Canopy Tour, and incredible guided rock climbing trips. Come visit and experience an adventure of a lifetime!
Fairfax, Virginia, United States
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Via Ferrata - rock climbing for the amateurs”
Reviewed September 3, 2012

Been at Nelson Rocks and did the canopy tour via ziplines but what took my breath away was the view during my climb at Via Ferrata. I always thought that rock climbing is only a dream for me but it became a reality. I loved the hanging bridge and the 360 degree view at the peak. I was the oldest and the last one in the group when we climbed but was very proud to be able to keep up with the young ones just after 7 months of a hand surgery. If you are not afraid of heights and is ok with minor scrapes and bruises after being vertical against prehistoric rocks, this activity is for you !

2 Thank wandermom2

Bellingham, Washington
82 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 178 helpful votes
“AWESOME EXPERIENCE!!!!”
Reviewed September 3, 2012

If you are ever in West Virginia and you're an outdoor enthusiast, Nelson Rocks is a MUST!! I did the canopy tour and the via ferrata rock climbing. The canopy tour consists of 11 zip lines and takes a couple of hours. You take a bus to the top and then zip down the serious of lines. The group size depends on the time it will take. The day I was there it was raining which I think made it even cooler. We were zipping through rain and fog. I absolutely LOVED it!! I also loved the via ferrata. This is also a MUST. If you are a rock climber it is not difficult at all but it is a different way to experience rock climbing. For via ferrata you traverse the mountain always hooked to a cable and there are man made hand and foot holds to make it an easy climb. With the hike in and out and the climb it took our group about 5 hours. If you are afraid of heights I don't recommend it because you get to go to the very top of the ridges and the wooden bridge that is pictured is VERY high up! But it is worth is to get to the top because the view is SPECTACULAR! The property is beautiful and the staff and guides are WONDERFUL. I give this place an A+++. It is a hidden treasure and off the beaten path, but definitely worth seeking out.

Visited September 2012
3 Thank Melissa K
Southern California
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“You have to try the Via Ferrata”
Reviewed August 16, 2012

My husband and I climbed the Via Ferrata that they have and it was an exceptional experience. We are both athletic, but not in great shape and we did it with ease. the views were amazing and the experience was very unique and I would recommend it to anyone that isn't really afraid of heights. Beau was our guide and he did a great job. Very patient with us as we took pictures along our way. The bridge on the Via Ferrata route was acceptional too. If you are in rural eastern West Virginia, this is a must.

Visited August 2012
2 Thank thearnoldclan
Hamburg, Pennsylvania
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Great experience!”
Reviewed August 6, 2012

What a great afternoon hiking the Via Feratta. The guide was professional, helpful and it was quite a unique experience climbing the twin rock fins. Give this a try, you won't be disapointed. By the way it is defintely a good value and well worth the cost.

2 Thank Jknight1157
Perrysburg, Ohio
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 20 helpful votes
“The Via Ferrata at Nelson Rocks, WV”
Reviewed August 2, 2012

My youngest son is getting married soon and wanted to do something different for his bachelor party. The party was planned by my middle son and included a fun several days of camping and outdoor activities in scenic WV. The highlight for many of us was doing The Via Ferrata at Nelson's Rocks. The facilities, our guides, and the equipment were all top notch. The climb was spectacular! The safety system allowed us to comfortably go where only skilled rock climbers could otherwise go. The scenery from various points along the Via Ferrata is simply breathtaking! I am over 65 years old, only in fair shape, yet - with a little "testing of my limits" - found this very doable and rewarding. I would highly recommend this experience to others.

6 Thank GeezerGuy