“Mountaineer Casino Racetrack & Resort-Grande Hotel at Mountaineer”

Mountaineer Casino Racetrack & Resort
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Chester
home
“Mountaineer Casino Racetrack & Resort-Grande Hotel at Mountaineer”
Reviewed January 4, 2014

We staying in the newer area of the resort, on the six floor. We were warned about the smoke smell ahead of time. The room we stayed in was non-smoking, but the hallways did have a smoke smell. The room was much larger than anticipated. It was plainly decorated, but who needs glamour when you're there to gamble? We stayed on a Friday night and because our friends are frequent visitors and reserved a few rooms, we got a lower rate. We don't know if they take AAA, but I would ask if going there again. Our room, with two double beds was $129. plus tax which came to a little over $144. We could hear people coming down the hall late at night, so the rooms could use more of a sound buffer. The heater played morse code all night, as we heard the vibration of it quite a bit. It wasn't anything to complain about but was a little annoying at times. The bathroom was roomy, and the area inside the door had a mini refrigerator which was nice. A hairdryer was provided as was a small coffee maker. The mattress was very hard, and the pillow was lumpy. I could not sleep well at all.
The pool area was not used by anyone during our stay. It was a nice size, and there were two hot tubs, one on each end of the pool. When researching this resort, I was amazed that there were hardly any pictures or reviews about it. Overall, I would stay there again. The hotel was a convenient walk to the casino. This resort needs to update their website. It was difficult to find its name and address when typing in Mountaineer Casino. Overall, we had a good experience while staying here.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
5 Thank teacher8592
James S, Director of Hotel Operations at Mountaineer Casino Racetrack & Resort, responded to this review, January 8, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to post a review. We certainly appreciate the feedback. We are planning to begin our hotel renovations in the second quarter of this year. We will be replacing furniture, mattresses, carpet, etc. Although we do not accept AAA discounts, we do offer special rates and packages throuought the year based on hotel availability. Thank you again for taking the time to post a review.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (70)
Cleveland, Ohio
Reviewed November 20, 2013

We like The Hotel. This wasn't our first stay. I have written other reviews. We like it and will stay here again. We had a room 2 doors from the elevator and on the 6th floor. Once in a while you hear people but that didn't bother us.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank KIOhioGuy
James S, Director of Hotel Operations at Mountaineer Casino Racetrack & Resort, responded to this review, November 21, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to post a review. We certainly appreciate it. We are planning our hotel room renovation for early next year so things will get even better. We look forward to seeing you again soon. Thanks again for the post.
ohio
Reviewed November 12, 2013

My husband and I used our free night stay. It was our first time staying in the hotel. We had a king room/smoking. I was pleasantly surprised at how nice and clean the room was. And the bed was probably the most comfortable hotel bed I ever slept in. We're thinking of spending our 25th wedding anniversary there in December!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank cfamilyinohio
James S, Director of Hotel Operations at Mountaineer Casino Racetrack & Resort, responded to this review, November 16, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to post and for the positive review. I will pass the positive comments on to our hotel housekeeping manager as well so that she can share them with her staff. Hopefully, you will come back and spend your anniversary with us. We look forward to seeing you then.
Barberton, Ohio, United States
Reviewed November 5, 2013

I absolutely LOVE this place! It does smell like smoke on busier evenings but I am a smoker so it doesn't bother me at all, as a matter of fact, we travel here just because we can smoke without having to leave the machines! I love the rooms in the tower--I recommend a non smoking room just because I do not like to smell smoke in my room but, my friends got a smoking room and it surprisingly didn't smell offensive at all!! Their bedding is AMAZING, I would pay GOOD money to have my own mountaineer styled bed in my own home--I never sleep as well as I do when I go there. (Side note--does anyone know what type of mattress or bedding they have?) They run great promotions so make sure you always use your players card. Make sure you wake up early enough for breakfast at the restaurant--HUGE portions and cheap prices but, service is slow, friendly non-the-less just very slow. Hands down best place to spend the weekend.

Room Tip: Tower & non-smoking
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
4 Thank Michelle C
James S, Director of Hotel Operations at Mountaineer Casino Racetrack & Resort, responded to this review, November 7, 2013
Michelle,

Thanks for taking the time to post a review. I am happy to hear that you had a good time and we look forward to seeing you again soon. As for your question about the mattresses, we have two different brands here so it depends on the room you were in. In the tower, if you were on the first through third floors, it was likely a Sealy Posturpedic mattress, The other floors are mattresses from Imperial Bedding. However, we will be replacing those as well as we go through our hotel room renovations which are scheduled to start after the first of the year. I hope this helps. And thanks gain for the positive review.
Poland, Ohio
Reviewed October 14, 2013

Came home today after my one night free stay. Some of the reviews complain about housekeeping and terrible smoke. I thought for sure that was going to be an issue for me, my suitcase resembled Molly Maid equipment bag, instead of a gambler! My room was on the first floor near the resturant , only room they had was smoking. I was pleasantly surprized not to have any smoke smell. Room was worn but very clean,carpet was new,bathroom old but again clean. I only play slots, I had $55 dollars on both days, from my player card,used it up quickly, had some fun but; in the room by 9pm. Today started no better, than BAM! I came home at 1pm with $760. So remember not everything you read will be true for you. Go and have a good time, I can hardly wait for more promotions.

Room Tip: rooms on ground floor are more than okay, they are quiet good.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
5 Thank patty f
James S, Director of Hotel Operations at Mountaineer Casino Racetrack & Resort, responded to this review, October 18, 2013
Patty,
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We apreciate the feedback. I will pass on your comments regarding the housekeeping department to our housekeeping manager. I also wanted to let you know that we are planning to begin hotel room renovations later this year. Congratulations as well on going home a winner. We look forward to seeing you again soon. Thanks again for the positive review.
Reviewed September 5, 2013 via mobile

The room was nice. Make sure you book your stay in the tower if you want internet. The lodge is very dated and somewhat dirty. The indoor pool needs better ventilation the fumes from chlorine burn your eyes just sitting by it. The water you would think would be clean first thing in the morning but it wasn't. Bugs floating in the pool and no clean towels to be found. Overall was an ok overnight stay.

• Stayed August 2013
1 Thank dave4404
James S, Director of Hotel Operations at Mountaineer Casino Racetrack & Resort, responded to this review, September 7, 2013
Dave,

Thank you for taking the time to post. We appreciate the feedback. We are working toward Wi-Fi being available throughout the casino, including the lodge. We are also planning to begin hotel room renovations later this year. I will pass along your comments regarding the indoor pool to our maintenance team. Thanks again for the post.
Reviewed August 17, 2013

Wife and I took our grandaughter to mt. They did the spa while I played. They had a fine time. After the wife hit the slots while we swam.. indoor and outdoor. Later we went and played the horses. This has become our favorite place to play and will be coming back next month.

• Stayed August 2013
5 Thank DBAkron
James S, Director of Hotel Operations at Mountaineer Casino Racetrack & Resort, responded to this review, August 22, 2013
DB,

Thanks for the positive review. We are happy to hear that you had a good time and look forward to seeing you again soon!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Chester
Holiday Inn Express Newell
Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Beaver Falls
Hampton Inn Steubenville Oh
Hampton Inn Steubenville Oh
#3 of 4 in Steubenville

Been to Mountaineer Casino Racetrack & Resort? Share your experiences!